Guest Cancels 2 hours before checking, blames Location Gives 4.8 rating

Why is a guest allows to give a rating if they cancel? I had a guest cancel the DAY of the stay blaming the location is 10 minutes father that he thought. Then he leave a 3 star location rating for location.

My listing main page even says where the location is including a google map link…

Will airbnb review ratings? Why doesn’t Airbnb allow me to give my exact location. It’s their fault that the guest got confused with they general area location setting. It cost me a 5star and a guest stay

You aren’t supposed to give the exact location before a booking is confirmed and it doesn’t show on the map (exact location before booking confirmation is a serious security risk for hosts), but there is nothing from preventing you from giving the guest the exact location once a booking is confirmed.

Sorry about losing the guest stay, but surely if they have left you a review, you can leave them one too. I would simply, and politely lay down the facts publicly, perhaps something like;-

“The guest cancelled their stay xxxx hours before they were due to check-in, stating that my location was 10 mins further (note spelling/meaning…) than where s/he wanted to be.”

Could be worse than 4.8. Just move forward and enjoy the break.

2 Likes

The guest was given the exact location after booking… The the Day of arrival, decided it was too far too far away from where he wanted. 10 minutes from where he thought.

Then why did you ask why Airbnb won’t allow you to give the exact location?

1 Like

Why is a guest even allowed to rate a place if THEY cancel before even staying at the place?

1 Like

Im assuming that the guest got confused by the general location when he booked and assumed it was the location on the map. Then the day of the stay he realized that its not the same place he thought. I had the exact same issue when I booked as a guest. Its something airbnb need to fix.

I believe Airbnb’s way of thinking is that if a guest cancels day-of check-in, that they might have actually arrived at the listing, but found it unacceptable in some legitimate way- dirty, not as advertised, etc. So in that case, a review could be warranted.

However, if the guest never arrived, saying they couldn’t find your place, or it wasn’t where they thought it was, even though you have proof that that information was made available to the guest, and that it is obvious from the guest’s messaging that he never arrived, you may be able to get Airbnb to remove the rating and review on the basis that it is “irrelevant”.

However, dealing with CS right now is an exercise in futility, so be prepared to be patient and persistent.

1 Like

They do and yes you can. In the settings, you can choose to give the specific location on the map (a map marker only) instead of the general location (with the gray circle). If I change mine to specific location, the map marker is right on top of my house.

3 Likes

I stand corrected- I forgot that it’s a choice. A choice most hosts, I think, prefer to leave inexact until a booking is confirmed.

1 Like

They’re not. But with Air’s layoffs, it can take a while to get it removed. I suggest that you report that fact that they never arrived to Air and ask that the review be removed. If you’re waiting for a call back, forget it. Just go to Air’s Twitter account and complain about it — that appears to be the way to get their attention. Their rules don’t allow posting of a review unless they actually checked in.

I hope that all communication with the guest was on the Air platform?

1 Like

Sadly, I’m not an Airbnb employee, but understand your anger, and agree with @NordlingHouse; complain on Twitter.

I think it is more of a risk for AirBnb to lose bookings. If you google the address of my cabins you would find my website and Air may lose the booking. I am sure they want us to think it is about safety, its not.

Just not the actual address…

RR

3 Likes

Why not ask Airbnb?

I didn’t realise that it was possible to have links in listings these days. It wasn’t possible before. I’m surprised that the landlord-type hosts don’t put links to avoid Airbnb fees.

Assuming that your settings show that you want your exact location shown, then something has gone wrong somewhere but you can only get it sorted by getting in touch with Airbnb.

I absolutely agree with you that guests should have no right to leave a review if they haven’t stayed on the property. I have ran into this a couple of times and I always call them and fight the review with Air. They have always removed the review. Especially because yours has to do with location. Location has nothing to do with where you live. It has to do with how well maintained the neighborhood is, how safe it is. I really hate that they don’t make that clear to guests.

Well I’m learning stuff today. I thought it had more to do with it being properly described on the listing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To me, it being properly described should fall under the accuracy rating. But of course guests might not think that way and Airbnb gives them no explanation.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what Airbnb’s concern would be. We know they don’t care about our safety, as evidenced by them not dealing with a host advising them that they have a dangerous guest who is threatening them in a timely fashion.

But for me, I wouldn’t want the exact location known before booking confirmation because a guest with nefarious intent could use it to stake out the house for a theft or show up at the door bothering me to make a private deal or see inside the house.

I’m fine with showing the exact location. Guests have mentioned the complex name in reviews and I have photographs showing the exterior of the building so I’m pretty easy to find anyway.

I’m happy to take a private deal but if they turned up asking for discounts, they wouldn’t get them - or a longer term than my stated 21 days. In fact, I’ve had people book and say that they’d driven past the place first to be sure of the location.

It’s good for us all that Airbnb gives us the choice. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you look around the website Airbnb has a section where they describe each criteria and what it is about. I printed that and leave it in the room for them to look over stressing to them that location is NOT about how far to your destination we are located…they chose us. It is about how well the area is maintained and how safe they feel. Since then, my ratings have been mostly 5 stars. I will try to find it and post it here