Guest Cancelled Last Minute - With Excuse

I wouldn’t say anything. Maybe I’m sorry and I’d move on.

Try and leave out emotion, whether it is sympathy, frustration, ticked or like me recently absolutely livid…I never make a decision about a refund without stepping away from it for a few hours.

You might want to keep in mind that until you actually receive your payment from Airbnb you have almost no control over the refund. Customer Service will ask you, based on your refund policy, if you want to refund in total or not. But even at that, under the EC policy, they generally refund it all, sometimes even their service fees. I have seen occasions where hosts have been contacted by guests that cancelled about their impending refunds, where are they, etc. The host NEVER received any money, so they Cannot return any. All you can do is refer them back to ABB. Hope it all works out well and you get rebooked right away!

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

RR

3 Likes

The huddled masses went through Ellis Island and other legal entry points. They didn’t caravan by the thousands over the border willy nilly

If 2 billion third-world individuals decided to enter the border, even the “progressives” would be up in arms.

I have a moderate cancellation policy. And I used a modified version of your response. Thanks so much for your help!

This has nothing at all to do with a refugees who legally enter the country via ports of entry seeking asylum. :man_facepalming:t3:

3 Likes

To think about…why Airbnb even gets involved with all of this extenuatingv policy and such.
Now you can list on other platforms like booking.com.as homestay. 4 years ago it was difficult if you are not a hotel with many rooms but now it’s easy. Guests know excatly what they are booking and booking collects payment upfront.
Airbnb now became a total.nuisanse with all the rules and to much involvement .
The uniqeness of Air was in giving option to homeowners to sort of screen guest before they book. Since half of hosts already are on IB this feature for them is useless as anyone can book anyway.
My father always buys travel insurance as he is elderly . He never travels without one. His upcoming trip to Europe cost them each 500$ in travel insurance.
May be Air should start offering an option to buy travel insurance instead of doing this absolutely ridiculous extenuating circumstance thing. Seriously …to think about it what power they have over hosts income and how we run our operation.
There are platforms long before them who don’t have even fraction of such involment between a host and a guest.
I can only picture how booking.com.people start giving our money away to a guest who booked and wants to cancel If something happen or … not…in his family.

1 Like

Not at all. I go with my cancellation policy and don’t refund under any circumstances. If they go with extenuating circumstances (which I don’t agree with also) and air accept so be it.
Guests should have travel insurance. Hosts should not be "free travel insurance "

4 Likes

And they are not now. They are being turned away at ports of entry, told to go wait in Mexico which the courts are reversing. Regardless of what the pussy grabber claims we do have room for more, we are not full. The brown people (Third world) are not a threat, the orange one in the oval office is.

RR

4 Likes

That is exactly why I have decided to not offer our most expensive weeks (Christmas and New Year’s) on AirBnB.

2 Likes

Why do air insist on this ridiculous policy. What hotel or any accommodation provider would offer NYE with a guarantee of a full refund in case you get “sick”
What grates me even more is cancelled flights qualify. The airline does not refund or provide accommodation if a flight is cancelled but I have to. Rant over

1 Like