Guest burnt my wool doona and dryer, need advise

Hi Freya you do have a right of reply and I hope you left her a frank review.

1 Like

Hi @Helsi, I have left her a bad review, mentioned what happened and how she handled the situation. And I did reply to her review via public response option. But my response is only visible on website, not visible on Airbnb mobile app.

Update on the bad review, Airbnb cannot do anything about it because it does not violate their review guideline, even it is false and inaccurate. I can accept this decision. But I asked them to solve the issue on the app, because the app doesn’t show my response, and I asked if they can move the bad review to the bottom until the app issue is fixed. The case manager declined, obviously he doesn’t care I am treated unfairly, customers using the app won’t be able to see my response, and they would think my property is not well maintained and many things do not work.

Still waiting on the result of the claim, case manager last contacted me two days ago, I have no idea how long I have to wait.

Sorry to hear that Freya, though note it’s not an issue that needs to be fixed. There’s less functionality on the app - that’s pretty standard across the industry and can be frustrating when you’re on a website and can’t access the full site from your phone. The way round this is to access the Airbnb site on a browser in your phone and ignore all prompts to open then app.

Some websites won’t even let you do that and instead force you to view a web optimised version of the site (and no option anywhere on the landing page to swap to desktop) so Airbnb is more flexible than some in this area.

Not at all suprised about the review; it seems to be their policy these days that anything goes.

2 Likes

Please address the inaccuracies in the review with the facts. Try not to be defensive. Address it to future guests not the bad one. But DO NOT mention the case itself. Simply refute the lies unemotionally.

1 Like

This terrible guest started to harass me at 2am by sending me insulting message. I have reported the message but is there a way to stop receiving message from her? Thanks.

Airbnb can do this. Call them and explain the situation.

Sorry you are having such issues with the guest.

1 Like

Through the Air messenger or text? Both can be blocked by you.

1 Like

Hi @Helsi, thanks for the advice and I will call if she kept doing that.

Hi @konacoconutz, thanks for your advice, she sent through Airbnb message system, I have reported the message but I don’t find a way to block her. I think the only way to block her is probably by calling Airbnb.

Update: Airbnb is quite helpful now. They asked for some documents which I can’t provide without paying $200+ call out fee. They said they don’t cover such call out fee, but after a few more emails, the case manager has decided to make a one time exception for me to cover the fee. So I feel Airbnb is reasonable and willing to help when hosts have problems.

4 Likes

Yay on you for persisting!

Here is the final update:

I later got a technician visit to check the dryer and clear the smell. He opened the dryer and cleaned the burnt lint there, and this got rid of the smell problem. He also checked and tested dryer and made a conclusion it is safe to use it. After submitting the invoice for the technician visit and his report (a seperate one that states the problem is caused manually instead of normal wear and tear), Airbnb reimbursed me the cost and also the cost for the quilt the second day.

Worth mentioning, the quilt cost $149, and they reminbursed me $142 for it. So they do consider depreciation when they calculate compensation. The quilt was bought 6 month ago and used for 1 month (winter one, I started using it since May, I live in Australia). I’m not sure they used 6 months or 1 month for depreciation.

From the email, they said the total compensation amount comes from security deposit but I doubt they may get a chargeback later because that guest is horrible and also has very limited financial capability (I know it is so wrong to stereotype but I guess she doesn’t work and mainly depend on welfare. I have such guess because there are many clues leading to this conclusion). Anyway I hope Airbnb has enough evidence to prevent chargeback.

What I learned:

1. Airbnb asked for many documents in the claim process, I actually understand them now because they need to prevent chargeback, if that occurs they have to bear the cost.
  2. Airbnb calculate depreciation of damaged item, this may be unfair to hosts sometimes. For example, my leather sofa cost more than $6000 15 years ago and it is still in very good condition now, not brand new but I guess another 15 years would be no problem for sure. Though if a careless guest damaged it I may get very little or nothing due to its age (if not repairable). But I have to pay over 10 thousands now to get similar sofa, or pay less to get a cheaper one. This is my assumption and I don’t know if it is true when such thing happens to a host. Another example could be paintings, a painting bought at $100 20 years ago could possibly cost $200-300 nowadays. If guests damaged it, considering deprecation, how much could a host get back? If anyone has an idea how Airbnb handles these situations please do join the discussion and thank you very much :slight_smile:
3 Likes

Super interesting about the chargeback. Really makes sense now!