Guest built boxed furniture in my house!

“… maybe not a 1, it depends”
:+1:

“It doesn’t sound like you even read the original post here”

Oh I read it, they sound like awful guests, so an honest, fair review should suffice, especially as it is their first review?

It should be their first and last review. Do you know any hosts who would want these guests?

You haven’t explained why you think they deserve more than one star in any of the 3 rating categories. Communication? If I saw boxes full of new furniture in an area that I was told was off limits and not to be used, and went in, unboxed and used the stuff and the area I was told not to use, without asking the host if it was okay, I think that would qualify as 1* communication. Sneaking in more people and an undeclared dog is also 1* communication. Guests are supposed to let a host know if they are bringing extra people or pets.

2 Likes

maybe it was, or maybe they have changed names and joined a few times before.

Hosts who ‘give a pass’ for ANY reason are bad airbnb members. And btw this is why telling folks to treat the home ‘like it was their own’ is also bad advice for hosts - if all the horrors described are only seen as ‘messy’ by a host, that host needs to take a long look at how they live…

2 Likes

1* affect their rating and that means hosts will be forewarned.

1 Like

Why are you defending egregious behavior on the guests’ part? I don’t care if it was stay #1 or stay #100 - these people broke into a locked room, put together a bed so unapproved guests could stay in a part of the house that was under construction, caused damage, vomited, swore, taped over security cameras…

Actions have consequences. Hotels keep blacklists of guests like this so they can’t book again.

3 Likes

He has a skewed idea of fairness, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

I’m not defending them, I’m saying a fair and honest review will suffice.

Greeted by the customary abrasive and combative approach to different viewpoints in this echo chamber.

Sadly this was not the end of their damage.
We found out this week, when we had new guests arrive that these people had broken our electric panel in our sauna.
When I asked about it, the guy actually admitted that one of his friends “removed the panel to fix it” because the sauna was not getting hot enough in their opinion. And in this process ended up breaking it. They never told me this until I actually confronted them about it.
I am absolutely appalled by this. What other electrical fixes have they done in our house that they have not told us about…
I have given them very honest 1 star review and reported all this to AirBnB,

4 Likes

How would it be dishonest? They are failing in the areas of communication and cleanliness and respecting the rules.

2 Likes

I agree that a Host shouldn’t give ‘1’s’ across the board because they are disappointed with the guest’s conduct. But here the 1’s seem warranted.

The Host messaged the guest about removing the tape from the security cameras. The OP doesn’t mention a reply. So that’s poor communications.

As to house rules and respecting the property – as well as Airbnb ground rules for guests (see here) – the guests clearly deserve a ‘1’.

So I agree with @casailinglady.

No one is suggesting giving 1’s across the board in a fit of pique but because of the actual conduct of the guests.

If that’s what you’re suggesting – that a guest could get 1’s in some areas but 4’s or 5’s in other categories – I would think Hosts here agree with that.

But not this one.

1 Like

I did not even read past that, this is when you should have gone over to the property and had them leave.

RR

6 Likes

You have a very good attitude about what happened to you. You will surely become a knowledgable and successful airbnb host.
The best thing I ever did was remove instant book. Leave that to hotels. My place is in New York City, and I really needed to filter out the kids who come to party for the weekend. Your riverside cabin has personality and is valuable to you. It is so important to have a dialog with a potential guest first so you can spell out your expectations and determine if they will be a good fit for your space.

2 Likes

Many hosts love IB. But there are definitely places that are either partier magnets or not your standard house or apartment that really need dialogue between host and guest to make sure it’s a suitable match.
I have never used IB and never will. I have also never gotten a bad guest, nor less than a 5* review, which I’m sure I would have if I used IB.

Yes, you are. This isn’t an echo chamber, it’s a forum where pretty much everyone here has been taken to task at one time or another for a misguided point of view. And we’ve learned from it (well, most of us have…).

A fair and honest review is 1* across the board. This isn’t a personality issue or “gee, I didn’t like them,” this was egregiously bad behavior with TONS of damage that was not communicated.

Thanks, my point exactly. I’ve had guests I didn’t like but I’ve given 5* to because they followed the HR, communicated well, paid, didn’t damage anything… Just because the cat and I didn’t like them doesn’t mean they shouldn’t receive a fair and honest review, which they got.

2 Likes

Hilarious that the poster who thought these guests deserved more than an across the board 1* review and to be given the opportunity to darken more hosts’ doors, changed their forum handle to “anon” after no other host here agreeing with them.

Guess they don’t subscribe to having the courage to stand by their convictions or saying that they now see how their attitude needed adjustment, or that it didn’t really apply in this case.

2 Likes