Guest brought two unannounced dogs, paid for them, but should I still address the issue?

Exactly. I don’t provide them with anything in particular. I consider my charge to be an extra cleaning fee and sort of an insurance in the case dog chews or pees on something.

As for these guests, I’ve decided not to write to them and at this point I’m just praying they won’t review me at all… This is after just being slammed in the review by the previous guests who also had a dog. The written part of the review is ok, although obviously not enthusiastic, but the stars ratings are just massacre.:smiley:

Overall 3, cleanliness 4,the rest 3.

I couldn’t resist but to ask for an explanation, tI haven’t got such bad grades in ages. Especially I didn’t understand what was the problem with check in, since earlier check-in was granted but they didn’t use it in the end, 3 for communication, although I responded promptly to eveything, 3 for accuracy although the written part of the feedback says that apartment is as described…

Got my reply, apparently 3 for communication is because my mom didn’t pet the dog and said she likes animals but doesn’t enjoy petting them.:smiley: All that after my mom prepared barbecue fire for them when they were clueless about it at 8 pm, and provided them with come coal we had, as they were completely unprepared… 3 for accuracy because the bed was broken (bed isn’t broken, this is not accuracy) and 4 for cleanliness because it was too clean and they could smell cleansers. And yes, they didn’t think 3 was a bad grade at all. Said they are happy to change the grade if it harms us.

I’ll try to write to Airbnb and see if they’ll change the grades. I’m definitely losing my superhost and 100 dollars bonus otherwise. Such idiots, I’m still fuming!!! I didn’t see this coming at all, mom says they seemed a bit clueless but nice.

What a start of a season…:expressionless: If the other guy downgrades me as well I think I’ll close the calendar for good. :smiley:

I advertise that I love guests bringing their dogs. 1 or 2 is plenty. I don’t charge extra as I think it is a USP that gets me guests. 95% tell me in advance they are bringing their pooches. I need to know as I have chickens and ducks out the back so they have to stay out of there (there is also a notice on the back door) and I send a message in advance saying that. Also that there is a green towel in the bathroom for dogs and to not use the white fluffy ones for humans. But dog guests are special. Some totally clean up after themselves and their dogs and others I have to send the roomba under the furniture looking for stray dog hairs. On balance it works out fine.

OK, good people, the time has come to write this guest a review. He already left me his as soon as he left, and I’m expecting a shitstorm. Any suggestions? They left the place in an OK-ish state, not really clean, but not abysmally dirty. They were staying for three nights so there’s not much other to say. I was thinking of something like this:

X, his wife, his daughter and two dogs stayed at our place for 3 nights. The apartment was left in an OK state. As a note for future hosts, the dogs were not announced in the initial communication, which was rather basic (modest?) in any case.

I think I wil give them a recommend, as I guess these are all the things that might not bother some other host, especially if not charging for pets and not really caring about guests announcing their time of arrival.

1 Like

I would give a thumbs down for the dogs. If someone showed up to my place like that I would have them removed. You are expecting a bad review, do not hold back its not about them its about letting future host know about this guy.

RR

3 Likes

Thnx for the suggestion. As for the thumb down, I do not want to be too harsh as we do accept dogs and in the end it didn’t present a big obstacle for us. However, we got the impression that the guy didn’t read the description at all, didn’t even check whether we accept dogs or not and was clearly surprised when charged for the pet fee which is clearly stated in our description. Of course, unexpected 30 euro payment surely makes things to start off a wrong foot. Plus, info that this guys actually takes two dogs with himself might be very important for all those hosts who do not accept pets, especially if they don’t live on the premises.

Well, honestly, whether I would accept him again depends on his review! :smiley: After we solved the dog misunderstanding, he was your average less communicative/more grumpy guest. I had those before, and most of them didn’t even bother to leave a review. I mean, as long as they are not pestering me or doing damage/heavy dirt, most of my guests are ok, some are less likeable, some more.

I will most certainly mention dogs and lack of reading! What do you think about the wording of the review I proposed above?

Maybe:

X, his wife, and his daughter stayed at our place for 3 nights. X bought two dogs without informing us in advance. The apartment required slightly more cleaning than typical for families with dogs. Pre-trip communication was minimal.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your suggestions! I’ve decided to go with my initial version. The guy didn’t leave me such a bad review, although it was a rather pointless one, discussing the surroundings of my apartment in 3 sentences, without ever mentioning a host or the apartment. Overall 4, communication 4 (???) and the rest is 5. I think sometimes people just write something in order to write, and click stars on random. It could’ve been worse.

1 Like