Guest Book for 2, then emailed that 5 were coming!

Hi Lindsey,

It’s too bad you went through such a stressful experience.

One way we keep bad guests away is that we never accept requests to reduce our price. In my view, people who want to pay less will keep wanting more and more as they’ve already shown that they want a better deal than is being offered.

1 Like

I wonder if he checked out both listings and purposely booked the one without the additional person charge on the listing. Not sure if this is their vacation- but I can only imagine this guy going around to every restaurant in the area putting hairs in his plate so he can get meals comped…sheesh!

I’m so glad you were able to read that in time before sending the money. Phew! Glad it was a lesson learned. People will try it on unfortunately.

hi guys, I see you are very actively engaged in hosting Airbnb guests. It would be really great if you could fill out my survey on Airbnb for my Master thesis! I need active users to participate :slight_smile: I would highly appreciate your help! Thanks a lot in advance!

Best
Felicitas

https://unibocconi.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6zHNsaviPDdO9Wl

Mailing him a check BAD IDEA:

1. Violates your terms of service with Airbnb. You can be kicked off the site
  2. Checks can be washed and higher amount entered in for cashing
  3. Now he has your address, legal name, and bank account number. IDENTITY THEFT INGREDIENTS.

RUN DO NOT WALK AWAY. You owe nothing.

My current guests brought a surprise 8 month old and 7 year old with them. They claimed to have tried to get in touch with me before the reservation, but I doubt it. No one else has had any trouble getting in touch.

So when they finally did call to let me know about this, I explained that they would need to pay am extra $25 per day. Especially because that is double the # of guests they were supposed to be bringing and the room is really only big enough for 2 guests. I also explained they would need to pay in cash, up front. This is not a hotel. This my home, where my daughter and I live.

Since it was obvious they’d been dishonest and I could easily have reported this to AirBnB, they paid up right away. And they’ve been really nice guests. Except for like 1 thing. Which I’ll post about in another post.

Oh, and they also asked if they could use my address in order to get a PO box for their mail. I said no but let them know that there was a mailbox place nearby that had requirements that they’d be able to meet.

Red flag! Don’t drop your rate, these requests never seem to work out well. I decline all requests to lower my rate. And, I would not be in business with my mother! Greed begets more greed, hope mom learned a lesson. These people are adults, they knew what they were doing.

"…post must be 20 chara

Have you thought of charging a per-charge fee after two guests? Just make it like $15 or $20 per person, and it will serve as a deterrent for folks to try to sneak in more than two, because your listing will have been very clear what the cost is.

Anyone who brings extra gas above and beyond the number of guests that your room or space is specified to sleep needs to pay additional fees per extra guest. These people will want to have extra showers extra toilet flushes they will have clothes to wash they might need extra towels and of course the dirt that they will leave in your room is going to be that much more dirt per extra person. Not to mention that there would also be additional risk for each additional person they bring. This is Air B&B it is not a hotel situation. If anyone tries to argue with me about it they will not be winning that argument. I don’t have to justify a damn thing in my opinion. This is my house where I live with my child not a hotel. All that crap about how the baby or the child is going to sleep in the queen size bed and the other ones are going to sleep on the floor - I don’t care. That makes no difference to me. You have to be politely tough as nails. Never feel sorry for anyone. Believe me, they can take care of themselves, and they will.

2 Likes

So I told them no don’t use my address. Now I’m getting texts from them saying uh before our po box Web used only our address for this apartment and they’re sending us this check back…have you seen it? So wow that’s annoying as hell. I surely hope that’s the only piece of mail I ever see with their name on it. I know Mom’s looking down from heaven thinking, c’mon now honey, be charitable, but I’m not in the mood.

1 Like