Guest asking for a refund because they decided not to stay the night

After the initial pandemic, I had a reservation that got cancelled the day before because the guest said that one of the travelers with her had been around people who subsequently came down with COVID. Something like that. They wanted a refund and I called Airbnb and the representative said “Next time they should pick a host with a less strict cancellation policy. You don’t need to give a refund.” I really liked that response. It’s true. Stuff happens but the guest always has the choice to only pick places that they can easily cancel.

3 Likes

hey folks apologies. successful AirBNB host just joining this forum. I can’t figure out how to initiate a topic. Can someone help me?

I had asked support this question. I know not to rely on a support person but here is what I got.

Based on your cancellation policy, your guest will only get 50% of every night. However, no refund of the service fee. But if you are willing to provide the full refund, that’s the only time we will also provide the service fee. And since, ABC is the one who cancelled the reservation, you will not be penalized.

This sounds right because as I related elsewhere here we recently refunded the guest’s entire fee, and Airbnb also waived their fee. [I thought it was my nicely worded request but looks like it’;s their policy.]

1 Like

I think the forum settings don’t allow people to initiate a topic until after they’ve been posting on existing threads and reading for a while, though I’m not sure exactly what the settings are. I believe it’s designed to stop people trying to sell products and from posting before they understand the normal, hmm, I guess flavour of interactions here, if that makes sense.

Until you get to that point, you can use the search function to find a topic related to what you want to ask about (but ideally not a huge thread from years ago, best to find something more recent) and then posting a comment there with whatever you wanted to discuss.

I’m curious to read what you wanted to post about! :slight_smile:

1 Like

If they book then someone else can’t book.