Guest arrival after check in window - thumbs down?

For me when they dont respond to messages about check in time, chances are they will arrive after check in time. My guests are in my home so its not like they can sneak in without me knowing.
I had 2 guests arrive at 10.30am, he ignored 3 messages requesting an arrival time, so i knew he was going to be trouble. I told him that check in was 3.00pm. He told me that was ridiculous as he was going to be left a few hours short out of a 24 hour period, he wanted his money worth. I asked what should i do with the guest currently in the room? He argued he travelled all over the Europe and could check in when he wanted.
I told him i also travelled but respected the check in policies of the accommodation.

He then said , well homes should be more flexible. I told him he was welcome to sleep in dirty sheets and use the current guests wet towels. It only dawned on him then that magic fairies dont clean the rooms in 2 seconds.

He sat outside the garden until i was finished. Within 2 minutes him and her used 2 separate bathrooms to shower after their very long journey. Bathrooms left in bits and floors soaking. I had to tell them that only 1 bathroom per room. I left the house to cool off and came back he was lying in my back garden with tiny speedo’s on. I never even showed him how to access the gardens.

He had told me he travelled 12 hours to get to me and needed access to his room now. Turned out he lied about travelling from half way around the world, he came 80km as he left his travel details behind. When leaving, he handed me a broken key to the lock in the room apparently he was surprised it had not be broken by another guest as it was weak metal. He then said, i will be back for my luggage at 1.30pm. I told him i was going out and that he would need to take his luggage with him. It was the longest 3 days ever.

May he never cross my door again

6 Likes

Wow! Just when I thought I had heard everything…you poor gal ~ but I love your spunk in not allowing him to brow-beat you.

(Uh, I don’t suppose you have a “speedo” shot do you? – no, I thought not; it was only to lend a little colour to your story, that’s all.) … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Sadly the image will remain ingrained in my mind. Knowing my luck, i would be caught and he would have grounds for a refund. I rang airbnb and they advised me that when he booked, he agreed to my terms and conditions and that includes my check in times. He was shocked when i told him the hotel check in i was going to was 4.00. He came from a country which has temp of 45/72, we were 15 degrees so have no idea why he was sun bathing as there was barely any sun. Its been a while since we had such an ass so were due one

1 Like

Perhaps he was showing off in his Budgie Smugglers?

What a complete arse… Please leave us a warning!

1 Like

It also works the other way around. If you are going to personally check guests in they should make life easy for you, too. If guests want to be more flexible about check in, they should do one of 2 things: check the host has a key safe facility, or pay more money and get a hotel where there is a receptionist 24/7.

1 Like

I agree but I know that some Airbnb hosts don’t. The meet-and-greet and the house tour might take up fifteen minutes of your time, but it’s well worth it and you more than save that time in the long run.

1 Like