Guest angry about the TOT

And update us when the review does/doesn’t happen! The ultiamte resolution of these things takes that sometimes never-arriving 14 day period. . . It would be good to know how it all settled.

Yes I absolutely will update if I get a review. So far nothing and I have not reviewed him since I don’t want to prompt him to review me. I have thought about reviewing him at that last moment but if the timing didn’t work out I feel like I would just be forcing his hand and I don’t want to do that.

3 Likes

Smart, smart, smart! We would do the same thing.

suggest you just add the taxes into your price. I think I might be put off at having to come up with cash at check in. regards, Curt

I, too, have been doing it just like you except that I have in my listing that I will be collecting the tax BEFORE their check-in date and I collect the tax using the “Send or Request Money” feature. I check “Other Trip Related Issues.” There have only been a few Guests that either forget or ignore to pay but as soon as I involve Airbnb to collect the taxes, they do so with no problem thank God. I, too, am going to look into the Professional Tools though. I haven’t had any luck figuring out how to do it. I researched it and seems like I don’t have that option here in Palm Beach County, Florida. If someone here can walk me through it–maybe I am missing something.

@NordlingHouse I have looked endlessly on how to to this on the site. Still haven’t figured it out. Could you possibly add a link? Would be so grateful :slight_smile:

@curtpete The problem with that is that even if you add 5.00 per night, that is considerably more than the measly 6% tax Guests are required to pay here in Palm Beach County, Florida. For me, almost all of my Guests have been understanding of these taxes, and I also like to keep things separate so it is clear for tax purposes and ease of paying the county every month.

I was not able to do it until I switched from the app to the actual website. First you have to download the professional hosting tools. Once you do that, look for pricing and availability. If you scroll down you will have choices for additional charges and one of them has to do with taxes. There are some drop-down menus that let you choose whether it is a percentage or a flat fee. It was pretty easy to do. I had to do two separate taxes because my county charges a tourist bed tax as well as a transient occupancy tax. I still mention in the description that they will be charged these additional taxes.

1 Like

I can’t add a link because it varies for every listing. You need to set it for each listing, because it’s part of pricing.

Edit the listing
Select “Pricing and Availability”, and then scroll down and select “Taxes” which will let you add as many taxes as you want. Tax will then show up when guest clicks on listing and sees full price including fees and taxes for the dates they have selected.

@NordlingHouse and @Cozy2018 I actually figured it out based on your instructions :slight_smile: Thank you so much.

1 Like

I’m sure that you’ll find, like I did, that it totally removes the taxes from discussion, so nitpickers like your guest will have to find something else.

1 Like

They never reviewed me. I am now letting Airbnb collect and send me the tax. I wish they would work it out with the county so that I could stop being the middle man but in the meantime I am happy to not be collecting it anymore. Thanks for everyone’s input.

1 Like

They never reviewed me, which was smart of them, because if they had, I would have been brutally honest.

So you didn’t review them either?

JF

Please review all stays honestly and unemotionally. Hosts who don’t review are doing a disservice to their fellow hosts and letting these guests off too easy.

3 Likes