Guest accuses me of having racist drawing, tosses it, and leaves one star for cleanliness!

Thank you for checking in and following up with me. I have filed a request for compensation from the guest. Once I did this, the guest filed a report against me that I had a drawing which is racist but apparently did not elaborate to the company how he found it so and, as it is now part of the landfill, Airbnb is not able to examine it to determine whether there is truth to his claim. I have not received a response regarding my request, so am not certain how this will proceed.

2 Likes

His review says “We found a racist drawing on the refrigerator, which we assumed was left by a previous guest, but was completely unacceptable.” Wouldn’t Airbnb accept that as the explanation of how he found it?

Why don’t you just ask the artist for a copy. I am sure he will keep them @Nearthesea

And did the guest find the drawing in your personal possessions as you mention, rather than what he said in the review?

We really don’t know what this means to the OP. I have a refrigerator in my laundry room with things on it that I consider “my personal belongings.” There are hosts who rent out their vacation homes and their entire home is filled with their personal belongings. I think most people read the OP as the guest rummaged through some closed or hidden space.

What’s clear to me as that no guest has any right to throw away something that isn’t theirs. If I went into a rental and found a Bible, I wouldn’t throw it away. If I found a Confederate flag I wouldn’t burn it. I would contact Airbnb with the evidence or the host as appropriate and deal with it as adult to adult.

And frankly if this guest is throwing things away that aren’t his I don’t want to host them. Unfortunately the OP either didn’t review the guest or his review has been removed from the guest’s profile.

1 Like

So here is the update:

After a review of the circumstances surrounding the claim and the associated information, the damages to your painting are not eligible for payment under the Host Guarantee.

The Host Guarantee excludes payment for the following circumstances:

The Airbnb Host Guarantee pays Covered Losses only and does not pay for any of the following (“Excluded Losses”): (…) the case of Fine Arts, losses or damages if the Fine Arts cannot be replaced with other of like kind and quality and any loss or damage from any repairing, restoration or retouching process.

Hosts beware! If a guest does not like or feels offended by any of the artwork anywhere in your home, private drawers, or on the walls, they are welcome to throw it in the trash.

1 Like

That’s BS. Didn’t you say you’ll have the artist do another one? I’m not sure I’d let this go. It depends on circumstances I’m not privy to.

1 Like

Wow … seems like it’s time to go the “blast them on social media” route. Guests are not allowed to toss away host property. Period. They put it in writing that they did so!

1 Like

I think there’s a lot we’re not privy to on the OP’s side of the story.

Regardless, the OP should have calmly reviewed the guest with a thumb’s down for arbitrarily deeming private art/property as racist and tossing it. I don’t want that guest in my home.

If it was a commissioned work by a living artist, it can be replicated, and all professional artists keep receipts and pictures and digital copies of their work as part of their portfolios. Therefore, proving ownership, cost, replacement cost, and that it isn’t racist because OP’s friend sat for the work should be straightforward.

4 Likes

it’s not very smart to admit to committing crimes in writing, which is what destruction of private property is. just saying.

2 Likes

And then there’s this. Air should close down that guest for admitting to destruction of private property. Ugh…

4 Likes

Well, it can can’t it? It’s by a living, working artist. The artist can simply replace it. Presumably the OP has asked the artist to recreate the painting otherwise the friend is out a gift. And so presumably the OP has the receipt for the original and for the replacement.

It’s still not clear whether this artwork was hidden away as part of the OP’s personal belongings or hanging on the fridge. Admittedly hanging artwork that’s intended to be given as a gift on the fridge would be a bit daft, especially as it has so much value that it’s worth claiming for.

If it was stuck onto the fridge then the guest wouldn’t see it as being in any way valuable.

2 Likes

This seems pretty well settled. I’m looking forward to seeing the new one.

1 Like

Going through your personal property is definitely NOT ok. It’s outrageous!!
Calling you a racist is a diversionary tactic on the guest’s part to put the blame on you.

1 Like