Grossest guest so far - slowly losing faith in humanity

I suggested to the housecleaner that she duct tape the 5 remotes.

She just laughed.

Have you considered writing the date with a silver sharpie on the batteries when installed. Or you could write “don’t steal” or “Lev. 9:11” or… signaling to the guests who need batteries that you are keeping track of yours.

@KKC

That’s an idea…mark the batteries.

I am reminded of a bar of soap my dad had with big red letters on it, “Stolen from Mabel’s whorehouse.”

4 Likes

That has happened to me! I just wrote about it the other day…

I did write the house address on all of my pens and sharpies so people would hopefully think twice before just taking them.

This is making me nervous because I just put a box of very expensive lithium batteries in each of my Airbnbs for backup batteries for the automatic door locks! They are sort of hidden away but still… who knew batteries were such hot items for theft?!

Yeah I’m quickly figuring out that hospitality can be a rough business as far as seeing the worst sides of people. I have to remind myself though that in over 300 stays so far I have yet to have anything MAJORLY horrible happen, so actually that does say a lot - allowing 300 complete strangers into your home and no one has done anything completely terrible.

Yeah, I felt SO horrible. I refunded her cleaning fee and she left me a 4 star review.

It is such a fine line between stopping jerk people who do lame stuff like steal batteries and pillows, and not being overly harsh and intense toward regular considerate people who leave the space so clean and go above and beyond and don’t deserve to have to read “DON’T STEAL MY STUFF, JERKS” in the guide book or deal with fewer “privileges” because other people made us all bitter and jaded about how horrible people can be. Sigh.

2 Likes

I have found it amazing that one person staying one night can leave a place in more disarray than 2 people who stayed 4-5 nights (the mess they leave, items missing/moved, etc). I have learned not to anticipate an easy turnover after a one night stay any more. And it does seem unfair to “punish” the next guest for the prior guests slobbish behavior.

I am trying to find that happy medium between “nail everything down” and “the cost of doing business” when something goes missing. Not quite there yet…

1 Like

How does someone know how much energy is left in the batteries they are taking? And how much money are they saving by swapping them out, or what they hell are they doing with the good batteries?

I have heard of people swapping out pillows but my guess is there was a pillow in the car. Not going to the store to buy pillows to swap.

I am going to guess that they have cameras, and want “fresh” batteries. Or better batteries. The swapping is the puzzlement isn’t it? They came with AAA batteries! Do you travel with batteries, generally?

I don’t think I travel with batteries. I don’t get out much :cry:

I might have traveled with batteries when I spent a few months overseas years ago. I think I had a certain type that worked with my digital camera…I think? But I would be scared to switch out batteries if I didn’t know how much energy they had left.

I guess what you say makes sense if the entire family has their own cameras. I couldn’t figure out how a person would want all those batteries…lol

@cabinhost

Okay, I called the housecleaner because I didn’t understand why people would be traveling with all those batteries either.

She said the guest(s) switched out the good batteries in a couple of the remotes and replaced them with the inferior Asian brand, and with the other remotes, they just took the batteries and left the remotes empty.

They obviously bought the cheapest batteries while on their travels for their camera or whatever and then exchanged them with the good ones from my rental. With the cheapo batteries (from the Dollar Tree, etc.), it’s little risk to trade them for any of the long-lasting ones.

1 Like

EXACTLY!!! Do I really have to put “dont’ put briquettes in my gas grille and light it??”

We always yank each drawer forwards to reveal anything wedged at the back. Bedside cabinets are lifted up and vacuumed under, as this is where you sometimes find things “hidden”. Oh, and check under the sides of the bed and behind the headboard for snot wiped there by a generous guest.
Find out if your mattress pads need cleaning by using a UV torch in a darkened room. This reveals both urine and “sexual efluvia” stains.
This is why we wear disposable gloves when cleaning.

2 Likes

This reminds me of the Friends episode “The One With Rachel’s Dream” where they rationalise that it would be wrong to steal the TV remote from a hotel room, but the batteries are fair game…
Ridiculous, isn’t it?

3 Likes

I wonder if spare batteries were offered on an honor system say $1 per battery, if they would pay for them or just steal more.

I doubt it, but by all means try and let us know how it works out… :wink:

I just might…

@KKC

Guests…honor system? :smile:

(I need my knee-slapping emoji again.)

1 Like