Gosh - Questions Again

I haven’t posted these many issues since I started 3 years ago…but need some advise:

1. I have a home with 5 private rooms, actually a duplex with 3 bedrooms in one and 2 bedrooms in the other. Each duplex has their own washer/dryer unit for our use and the guest use if they request it. Because we have large turnover in the summer I really need these to be available for use in order to make sure all the linens, towels, comforters etc are clean for the next day. We implemented a no use by guests between 10 and 3 and then other times it is by request only. Is this unreasonable?

2. We require our guests to buy their own laundry soap/dryer towels or conditioner for their use. We recently went thru a ton of soap leaving me a in a pickle when I went to get my soap and there was none to use. This is a older home that was remodeled and they left out storage. There is only one small coat closet and kitchen cupboards so leaving it out is unfortunately my only option. I had a guest not really complain but was unhappy that they had to provide their own and was restricted in their use. It is not listed as an amenity on my ABB page. Again, unreasonable?

3. What to do…in the lower duplex there are two bathrooms, one is 3/4 bath with the laundry facilities, the other bathroom is a full bath. I have assigned each room their own bathroom and it is reflected in the price. Here is my situation, I have a guest (who is staying 28 days) in a wheelchair and has stayed with us before. He recently changed rooms to the larger room but with the 3/4 bath however tonight I went in and he moved all his stuff to the full bath because he needs to use a shower chair. While I understand and will try to accommodate him I am upset because I have guests coming in that are expecting to use the full bath instead of the 3/4 bath. This guest has stayed with us before and has used the 3/4 bath with no issue but now all of sudden it is an issue. Because he is disabled I am not sure how to handle it. I did advise him that he could not change just because he wanted to and that in my listing I state which room is assigned which bathroom. Honestly, he hasn’t been the best guest but being slow months I needed the income. He says well when he is finished with his current stay he won’t be coming back in which I answered that is fine. He is also complaining that he has to provide his own laundry soap etc which has always been in the House Manual but recently a sign was posted in the laundry room.

Am I being too picky? or am just being used? Thanks for all your advise…

Repeat guests can be a mixed blessing. On the one hand, you know them and they are familiar with your place so you don’t have to do the house tour etc, and it’s a bit more relaxed. On the other hand, they can get a bit over-familiar and start feeling like they can bend rules and re-arrange things to suit themselves - because they’re ‘special’ now and not like regular guests.

The fact that your current repeat guest is disabled is not relevant. He managed perfectly well on his previous stays with your set-up so he should be expected to do the same now. I would be pretty firm about this. Particularly as you say he hasn’t been the best guest anyway. Just tell him straight that your rules have been updated due to abuse by ungrateful guests while looking him long and hard in the eye. The fact that he’s disabled does not grant him any special status.

4 Likes

It sounds like mr 28 days is getting too comfortable. Good riddance I would say.

RR

2 Likes

On a practical note, I would be VERY firm about the bathroom use - just move his stuff out and put in the bathroom he’s supposed to use.
DON’T give in to this. He’ll have you running rings around him if you do.
But give him that precious laundry soap - it doesn’t cost much after all - and maybe, I don’t know, some other toiletries? I’m thinking strategically here: you need the bathroom situation sorted but you don’t want an angry aggrieved guest for 28 days.

1 Like

Even if you don’t use it, i think it would be nice to get some generic cheap laundry detergent for guests use. Keep the nice stuff locked up for your turnovers.

3 Likes

On the laundry front, what I do might help? I don’t automatically supply detergent for the laundry because I suspect that if I do, it’s encouraging guests to use it (does that make sense?)

But during the house tour, I tell the guests to ask me if they need detergent. If they request it, I put about 5 of those pod things in a jiffy bag and give it to the guests. That seems to keep them using the washing machines in a more controlled way that they would if they were just adding laundry powder or liquid from a large container. Maybe worth a try?

3 Likes

You are absolutely right which I didn’t give much of a reply when he said he wouldn’t be staying with us again…

He was actually the biggest offender of abusing the laundry and soap issue. We went thru one of the largest tubs of soap you can buy at the store, you know the ones that says 80 washes included in little less than a month. I was/am finding his laundry in the machines at least 4 times a week.

One other idea about the laundry detergent - maybe use a different container, say like a large olive oil can or something similar that you can leave out but guests aren’t likely to use…?

1 Like

I think your laundry use policy is reasonable. If you have no where to securely lock the detergent then I would say you need to provide it and sadly, everyone who stays will have to pay. Raise your price a dollar or two per night to cover the cost.

Mr. 28 days should be blocked after his stay ends so that he can’t book again or contact you. Even though he says he won’t be staying again he may change his mind after he shops around.

Curious, do you find it more profitable to rent as private rooms compared to a 3 bed aNd 2 bed unit?

For us yes, the private room location is out performing our whole home 4 to 1 for income. Except for the summer months we are not a big tourist location so we depend on business travelers who have been temporarily assigned here.

Interesting…my Airbnb rental neighbor/friend/competition (she really is a good friend) recently told me she is doing something similar with the laundry pods and dishwasher soap tabs and it works well for 1. Controlling usage & 2. Protects the pods & tabs from melting in the humidity.

1 Like

Also putting them in a jar that you’ve soaked the label off of (wide mouth like salsa or peanut butter) works well and can be reused compared to a jiffy bag that might get tossed when empty.

“1. We implemented a no (w/d) use by guests between 10 and 3 and then other times it is by request only. Is this unreasonable?

—-is the reason for “by request only” so you can monitor use? Have you declined any requests? Your process isn’t unreasonable but may be clunky to manage. Would it be easier to limit their washer use by stating “ so we use the w/d for rental linens daily between 10-3. You may use the w/d during other hours. Use is limited to 3 loads a week”.

“2. We require our guests to buy their own laundry soap/dryer towels … It is not listed as an amenity on my ABB page. Again, unreasonable?”

Not unreasonable but there may be a more guest-friendly way to do it.
Perhaps provide each guest a baggie with a few pods & dryer sheets. Or provide dollar store detergent, softener & dryer sheets and not replenish often.

For my rentals it seems the same volume of liquid detergent is used regardless of it being condensed HE or cheap mostly water detergent. In other words they over use the HE detergent.

Food for thought: keep the good stuff at home. Use it to refill smaller containers that are easy to lift & carry. Keep the smaller containers in the trunk of your car. It’s a bit more work but your supplies will not unexpectedly be depleted.

“3. What to do… He recently changed rooms to the larger room but with the 3/4 bath however tonight I went in and he moved all his stuff to the full bath…”.

He needs to use his assigned bathroom. If he insists on the shower chair, he should move to the smaller Room

Not a bad idea but I tired something similar with a large supply of dishwasher tabs. The guests found it too much trouble to seal and the dishwasher tabs melted into a gooey clump. I don’t think there is a perfect solution so we do the best we can.

Wow. So the plastic bins these dish pods come in must be worthless as well.

I love the arid west in so many ways.

1 Like

I likewise control by limiting the number of detergent pods. I have a big laminated card stuck right on my fancy ventless washer/dryer with instructions, including that only the HE (high efficiency, low sudsing) pods provided can be used in the machine.

Lordy, I feel for you with this guest :frowning: I would suggest putting a limit on the amount of laundry that can be done during a stay. After one guest put one pair of knickers (panties) and one pair of socks on a full wash, I realised this was a necessary rule. Many hosts do this for longer stays, eg. one free laundry wash a week, anything above that costs $4 or whatever. I realise that it’s almost impossible to monitor this if you allow constant access to the washing machine but having it in the house rules, with a written reminder in the laundry room, at least drives home the message.

@Cindy_Turner_Dodd Cindy, I would rather offer my guests cheaper pods and allow them to do their laundry on certain days/times than not. However, you need to make it clear that laundry may not stay in the machine once the cycle has ended, etc. For your own use, I would have a better quality pod that is stored out of reach of guests.
You wrote that the disabled guest “was actually the biggest offender of abusing the laundry and soap issue. We went thru one of the largest tubs of soap you can buy at the store, you know the ones that says 80 washes included in little less than a month”; it’s possible that he might have a legitimate need to do laundry more frequently (bathroom accidents, wetting the bed, etc), and I would rather have a guest do the laundry than store dirty/stinky clothes in the guest’s room. I buy pods at “Big Lots” and they are very economical…