Give a discount for being unprepared for last minute reservation?

Hosts do a lot of things I wish they wouldn’t. And it’s unfortunate that so many guests don’t realize that every airbnb is different and just because one host has or does something only applies to that host.

In my case, I don’t like gifts and cash is king. If there is a problem I can just sit at my computer and process a refund. No shopping trip, taking things to the guest that they might not even like, etc. And then my generosity is there on the platform should there be a question or complaint later. We have all read posts from a host who thought everything was great with a guest and then after the guest checks out they get slammed with the complaint. This guest was nice but it could have easily gone south as soon as they stepped in the door. I wouldn’t be shocked if Airbnb would have just rehomed them and not refunded the host.

3 Likes

So so I! I certainly wouldn’t give any refund for a 15 minute wait - although I would have probably offered the guest a beer or a glass of wine while he waited. But it looks as though he didn’t ask for a refund so why offer one? What would be the benefit to the host? I’m not sure that I see the point of a refund.

It was a good lesson though - you can’t afford to miss messages about bookings if you have an empty rental.

7 Likes

Offering either a cleaning fee discount or some perk will probably serve you well in terms of a good review.

1 Like