Getting rid of odors

A friend of mine just buys epinephrin at the pharmacy and has some syringes. (She has a bee allergy)

Way, way cheaper than an epipen.

My husband and I recently bought an awesome cabin in VA (will be a rental)…that had been smoked in for the last 10 years. After tearing out all of the carpet, we ran a couple small ozone machines for several multi-hour stints while we were out of the house. The smell is truly almost gone, which is a miracle considering the place smelled straight-up like ashtray when we took possession. We still have to scrub down all the walls and prime/paint, but those little machines killed probably 95% of the stank.

Do use caution and make sure to read the instructions if you try this route - some machines are higher-output and you need to ensure no people or pets are inside when they’re running.

1 Like

Baking soda, deodorizers, lemons? Looool at these trash responses…

The ONLY real answer is to invest in a Ozone Generator!

Had one guest stink up my joint with curry. After repainting the place, washing all the furniture, curtains, bleaching every surface the stink would not go away

That was until I used an Ozone Generator!

What a nice person you must be IRL.

Some people live in the same home as their guests.

4 Likes

I happen to like the smell of curry, I don’t consider it a “stink”. The idea that one would have to repaint to get rid of food or even smoking odor is absurd. Walls can be washed, and if they can’t, you’re using the wrong kind of paint.

2 Likes

You didn’t buy my house after my Mom smoked here for 25 years. Regular paint would not mask the odor. It took 2 coats of Kilz primer to encapsulate it. 16 years later, I still have one closet in my part of the house that hasn’t been repainted. I rarely open it, but when it do, the stink almost makes my eyes run.

2 Likes

lol :blush:

What’s the issue? When the guest checks out, turn on the Ozone Generator, go for a walk while the machine works its magic

Then air out the place and presto!

Exception doesn’t make the rule.

You may like it, but the majority of guests will not appreciate an airbnb that has an overbearing scent of curry

And as NordlingHouse stated, washing wall does remove odours cause by things like smoke or fire.

Moreover as currys are an oil based food, washing walls (water based) is not effective.

You would need to paint the area with something like a shellac based sealer/stain killer like Zinsser BIN

1 Like

There’s no need for you to insinuate that the way others try to get rid of odors is “trash.”

Ozone generators have been discussed here many times, there are pros and cons.

5 Likes

That’s BS. Soap cuts grease, otherwise everyone’s dishes would be covered in oil and grease after washing them. There are also soaps especially designed to remove grease and oil.

I’d imagine that smoking indoors for 25 years would be a lot different from a guest smoking indoors for a few days in terms of the odor being impossible to remove.

1 Like

It is. Nicotine buildup is real.

The lighting in my MIL’s kitchen was very dim so I decided to change the bulbs. Her light globes were not tinted, they were covered with thick, brown, gooey nicotine. I used a super duper all purpose cleaner. Then the kitchen was bright, bright, bright.

I thought her walls were painted a brownish almond. Under the pictures it was bright white!

To sell the condo, two coats of kiltz ceilings & walls, new bathroom wallpaper (style then), fresh paint, carpet professionally cleaned 2x and the smell persisted.

Btw-combination of osteoporosis exacerbated by smoking & COPD was cause of death. Not surprising.

I had this problem in my late parents’ home. When I lifted the den rug, after 26 years of 2 people smoking indoors especially in the den, the floor was gorgeous but I needed to use a plastic putty knife and a good cleaner to scrape the nicotine off the floor. Disgusting.

I washed walls, used 2 coats of Kilz, and washed shelves, pictures, everything. Brown ick all over.

I’m so sorry for your losses. Cancer, adult onset diabetes and COPD here for mine.

Cancer is evil. 87 year old dad still with me. Has CA

Heart issues r/t Diabetes. Mom RIP miss her every day

I’m sorry for your losses.

1 Like

I have hanging charcoal bags throughout all three of my homes. I also use vinegar and baking soda in every load of washing. We clean with a equal parts mixture of vinegar, alcohol and water with lemon. I have on my house rules NO SCENTED PRODUCTS in the house. I still get people using heavy perfumes. We have taken out all carpet in homes so it’s easy to keep clean and get smells out. I also have baking soda in various spots throughout the house.

OdoBan is a product you can leave in each room. It’s really great at absorbing and getting rid of bad smells. My Groomer recommended it when one of my dogs got sprayed by a skunk. It worked beautifully for getting the smell out of the house. If my normal routines, vinegar, baking soda, charcoal don’t handle it, this is what I use. You can buy on Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

I had recent guests who smoked (against the house rules) but since I had seen them on the Ring doorbell smoking on the porch, I didn’t think it would be bad in the house. Definitely wrong on that one! It may have even been just what was on their clothes, but it was overpowering. I had guests checking in later that day, so out of desperation I put half vinegar half water in a pot and simmered it on the stove while I cleaned. It worked great!

2 Likes