Getting Guests to Use the Washer and Dryer

I’ve just choked with laughter…

1 Like

I have a Beko condensing dryer that has built in techie stuff to stop when stuff is dry. Using a quick wash programme, I can wash and dry, ready to wear in 45 mins. But I only use the dryer if it’s raining (like now…) or to remove the cats’ hair!

@EllenN,

I am with the Dryer-Shrinks-And-Destroys-Clothes crowd. This isn’t to say I don’t use my dryer, but I too air dry my favorite 100% cotton clothes, as well as anything I care about extending the life of, including my Airbnb quilts. You’re right, those do get stiff on the line, but a quick warm tumble in the dryer takes care of that.

Anyway, I understand this is not what you wanted to hear, but there are so many things you’re so laid back about, is there really a reason you don’t want to supply your guests with a clothes drying rack, since so many of them are hell bent on not using the dryer?

I agree you need a good script to prevent them from abusing your personal belongings with the LA sun. For the few things in my listing that are really important to me, I ask guests to please take a quick moment to read the “XYZ” section of the Welcome Guide. This seems to solve most problems. My pet peeve is what they do with empty recycleable bottles, so I’ve spelled it out in the guide. You could have a short section explaining that your towels MUST NOT be left to dry outside, for whatever reason you want to make up.

3 Likes

Why not set up a clothes line in the shade?

Because I don’t want to. I believe that I have the right to have my own clothes and linens dried the way I wish.

You could provide a simple drying rack for guests from IKEA, but state clearly in your instructions that when it comes to your belongings, such as bath and beach towels, you expect them to use the dryer. You don’t even have to provide the reason, it’s your property. But try to understand the discomfort that some of your guests have regarding the usage of a dryer for their own clothes. Especially if they come from Europe. :wink: In this way everyone is happy.

2 Likes

Does that mean the Europeans should get a dryer if I stay at their place because I’m uncomfortable line drying my clothes? I will not buy a clothes line, an electric kettle or a duvet. If Europeans want to recreate Europe they should do it elsewhere.

I will never, ever buy anything from Ikea as its founder was a Nazi sympathizer.

I don’t understand why such a hostile tone. I thought we are trying to come up with some solutions here. First of all, it is ridiculous to compare buying a big kitchen appliance such as dryer with a cheap, small drying rack. I suggested it because personally, I think it is sometimes easier to make a small concesion to your guests than have irritating situations repeat. I suggested it for your own sake, not for the sake of your (European) guests.

For example, I’ve decided to buy a filter coffee machine because I have a lot of German guests and they were constantly asking for it. It costed around 40 euros so it was a really small investment. The benefit was that I didn’t get irritated anymore whenever guests mentioned something that I do not offer.

Sometimes it is not about who is right or wrong, but about making your life easier. I don’t know how often this situation is occuring at your place and how many European guests you have. I have barely any Americans but I would probably adjust in some small things to their expectations if they represented a significant percentage of my guests. I thought that buying a cheap drying rack could be a painless solution (it doesn’t have to be IKEA, btw, it was just an example of a store with cheap racks). Of course, you are free not to take the advice. In that case, I would go with konacoconutz’s wording.

3 Likes

I don’t think so. You can check other options also.

Isn’t the main problem that the guests used the bath towels instead of the beach towels? Since you’re kind enough to provide beach towels (a great idea, since they fill up so much of a suitcase) I would think that most of your guests use these? I don’t know anyone who would wash a beach towel after one use - the whole point of them is to get nice and sweaty and sun-oily, then you go home, have a lovely shower and use the fluffy bath towels on a clean, non-sandy, non-oily body. You shake out the beach towels as you come off the beach to get rid of the sand and just put out to dry when you get back. So I’m not quite clear - are you wanting to wash and tumble-dry (UK term!) the beach towels after each day’s use? I agree with you about bathroom towels - we now part dry them in the machine then hang out in the sun, which keeps them fluffier than fully line-drying

Also, guests may not have a full load of washing but just want to rinse through a few “small” as we used to call them and it would be wasteful to use the machines for that. I don’t think you can insist that they machine dry their own clothes, though I suppose you could put a “no drying of clothes on the furniture” into your listing.

And finally, yes, machine drying DOES shrink clothes. Indeed I find that even storing out of season clothes in a wardrobe shrinks them. I can’t see any other reason that the jeans that fitted me 6 months ago won’t zip up now.

3 Likes

All dryers are bad…

Our washing machine has a short wash setting. It also senses the size of the load and uses the appropriate amount of water. Therefore, small loads of washing aren’t wasteful.

If guests insist on not washing beach towels daily they don’t have to, although I’ll grumble when I have to replace the sun bleached ones.

Why can’t I insist that they machine dry their clothes? Many hosts here insist on things being done their way in their listings.

Ellen did ask in the OP to not suggest clotheslines. That’s an obvious thing, and what she needs help with is getting the guests to follow her very clear preferences.

I also think, Ellen hanging a clothesline would encourage the guests to do what she doesn’t want them to do.

Sorry, did not mean to put words in your mouth, Ellen!

1 Like

Thanks for having my back here.

1 Like

“I asked them to give them to me to wash and dry. They refused saying that they would just get sandy again…They hung them, along with their bathing suits, on our outdoor table and chair.”

In that instance, I would have retrieved the towels from the chairs and delivered another set of bath towels to them and said, “Here is a fresh set for you. I’ll take care of the others.” They are your towels - stand your ground.

As far as getting guests to use the machines in the future, it’s the old saying, you can lead a horse to water but…etc.

What I meant is - they might just decide not to wash their clothes!

Why would I mind if they decide to not wash their clothes?

I don’t understand why so many posters here believe that guests should do so many things according to their rules, but I should accommodate the guests’ wishes to litter my house/yard and warp my furniture with wet and/or dirty clothes/linens.

I’ve seen listings that limit the times/length of showers. There are hosts here who have curfews, don’t give their guests a key, ask their guests to limit toilet flushing, don’t permit guests to eat hot food in the evening, you name it. All of these hosts are supported here, yet you all tell me that I should let guests dry clothes in a way that is destructive to my property.

Please, feel free to have guests disobeying your rules and continue being angry about it. No problem there. I just cannot see why would anyone do that to themselves in the business of hosting which is already stressful as it is. If you are really worried about your furniture you will provide some sort of a small rack, which will at least prevent litter and protect furniture from being destroyed, as guests WILL continue to wash and dry in the manner that suits them. Is it crap that people behave like that? Absolutely. No one is saying that you are not 100% right. But that’s just people being people and you probably won’t change them much.

Of course, this depends on what is more important to you - to save your furniture, towels and nervs or to prove that you’re right, to both your guests and to us.

2 Likes

And this is simply a lie. No one told you to let them dry it on the furniture, but rather to provide the rack that will prevent it from happening. I’m not sure how the rack is destructive of your property, especially if placed in their room or something.

1 Like