Getting guests to conserve water

We have been in a drought here in central Colorado, and in our house rules and manual we ask guests to conserve water (without getting overly detailed, and possibly insulting, on how to do so). We have small signs in the bathrooms reminding them to please conserve water “within your comfort level.” The majority of our guests understand this and are great about not taking long showers or using a ton of towels, etc.

So we just got a passive aggressive review from a guest who ran out of hot water while attempting to fill a 100-gallon bathtub. I didn’t know this had happened, of course, until the review. I would not have left her such a sterling review had I known that she was basically draining the well. We have hot springs in the area, so there are options for guests to soak in unlimited hot water.

So, do I get more descriptive, and possibly naggy, about water use, or just keep it the way it is and assume the occasional guest just doesn’t get it? If any of you ask your guests to conserve water, I’d love to know how you handle it. THANKS!

The natural hot pools sound lovely. Can you remove the tub? How about water saving shower heads?

1 Like

We had exactly that discussion last night, about removing the tub and replacing it with a shower. There’s just no reason these days for anyone to take a 100-gallon bath.

4 Likes

There is for me! I soak in Epsom salts, essential oils etc… However I would not do that if I lived in a desert. Plenty of rain in the UK, no water meter in my house, not that I would waste it wantonly.

1 Like

It sounds like you’re doing what you can about the problem. It’s honestly a difficult thing to enforce. The signs and gentle reminders are about all you can do. We are coming to Colorado next month and we are so excited about the hot springs!

If you’re going to Mt. Princeton, be sure to try the creekside springs!

1 Like

I would take the plug out of the tub, that’s what I did after the very first person took a bath at my place and left a ring in the tub. Now I know why hotels pull the plugs!

RR

7 Likes

What a great idea! Creative :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Such a simple solution. Thanks.

1 Like

This is how I knew hotels pull the plug! When my girls were little I was stuffing wash cloths in the drain to use the tub. Smart parents/travelers bring a universal plug with them.

RR

3 Likes

So sorry you received a passive-aggressive review for the bath water temp. Has this happened before? I try not to add additional rules until I’ve had a repeat offender because I think there is a point at which guests just hear “blah, blah, blah” and tune out.

Perhaps people are unaware of the local drought or what “within your comfort level” means? Maybe you could say something like, “Due to local drought conditions, please conserve water whenever possible.”

2 Likes

I think it is fair to say something like :
“Until the drought has ended, we kindly ask guests to refrain from filling the tub more than halfway. Mother Nature thanks you for your consideration. We apologize for the inconvenience.”

5 Likes

Taking the plug out results in determined cretins using grocery bags or your good wash cloths to choke off the drain long enough to bathe. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Considerate guests will get “the message” but others will think your bathroom isn’t well equipped because you “forgot” a plug. Lol. @georgygirlofairbnb is correct: a cute sign will make the point loud and clear.

5 Likes

Yes @Skuchiegirl, good advice. I unchecked the bathtub as an option to use in the listing, after many run out of hot water after filling it. And removed the plug from it. But this was not enough, because the day came when someone complained that the plug was not there and that she could not fill the bathtub and the worst thing is that air insisted on a 30% refund. Common sense is not enough, we have to write and make it clear in the house rules that the bathtub can not be fully filled or not filled at all with hot water or cold water lol.

1 Like

Good lord. I will uncheck bathtub as well, redo the little sign in the bathroom too.

1 Like

Can you promote the hot springs more?

I should. Although the offending guest also went to the hot springs.

1 Like

Now you can edit the house rules and add an explanation under " amenity limitations"

3 Likes

Yes there’s no need to waste water when there are natural hot springs (not) on tap in the area!

1 Like

It’s so interesting to read about things that hosts face in different parts of the world. There is absolutely no water shortage where I live. Just the opposite in fact, it rains most of the time :frowning: But I too hide the plug for the bath. It’s a shared bathroom and heating water costs a lot of money so it’s a no, you don’t get to have a soak whenever you want.

My own view is that when you travel - adapt to the customs. Gas and electricity is hugely expensive here so don’t ask me to put on the central heating just because you want to walk around in your underwear. Put some warm clothes on like the rest of us!

Having said that, water conservation in a drought area is a specific issue. I wouldn’t be so nice about it. They’ve chosen to come to your area - they need to adapt. Just because they paid doesn’t give them the right to ignore/dismiss important local / environmental issues.

5 Likes