Getting Airbnb to pay for a post party clean-up

I’m getting ready to post this in Twitter:

Don’t trust the Airbnb guarantee! After I broke up an unauthorised 50-person party, they strung me along for 8 weeks before limiting repayment to just 45% the cost of making things right! And that excludes the rental revenue I lost due to the damage and clean-up. @AirbnbHelp

What do you think?

cc @Annet3176 @dpfromva

9 Likes

It’s perfect! Good way to get their attention.

1 Like

Too long 285 characters 180 characters tweet limit. You can split it into 3 posts by replying to yourself. Label each as 1/3, 2/3, or 3/3

If you want them to help you consider softening your wording.

First sentence

@airbnbhelp. I’ve asked for assistance with Airbnb Host guarantee.(then continue)

1 Like

Tweets these days can go up to 280 chars.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll give it another shot below.

Disappointed & disturbed by Airbnb’s so-called “$1m Host Guarante”! After an unauthorised 50-person party, they strung me along for 8 weeks before paying just 45% the cost of making things right and nothing for the rental revenue lost due to the damage and clean-up. @AirbnbHelp

4 Likes

Good to know. ………,……,

1 Like

Sorry, can’t help myself, did a lot of editing in a previous life :crayon:

I was really let down by “$1m Host Guarantee”! Airbnb paid only 45% of damage & cleaning cost after I shut down an unauthorised 50-person party. It was scary! Sent receipts but had to keep asking for help for 8 weeks. They should support hosts who stop parties. @AirbnbHelp

3 Likes

Wording is truthful & succinct. Are you seeking to chastise Airbnb & warn hosts or get the other 50%?

Want more money? Consider asking for it:

@airbnbhelp Please consider increasing the offer you made under the host guarantee. I was disappointed/dissatisfied by “$1m Host Guarantee”! Airbnb paid only 45% of damage & cleaning cost after I shut down an unauthorised 50-person party. Sent receipts, no response so I continued requesting for help for 8 weeks. Scary, stressful, damaged property, excessive cleaning: I expected more support for hosts who stop parties.

423 characters!

3 Likes

If you only have the normal home insurance, most companies won’t cover short term rentals and some will cancel your insurance. Did you have STR coverage? Air will probably require you to file a claim with them first.

Is the arbitration process available to non USA hosts?

Fahed, if you are able you should post it directly on their Twitter feed.

@Debthecat in order to see what rules apply about dispute resolution, you would need to check the terms and conditions for each country. The laws vary a lot from country to country.

March in there and kick out 50 party revelers? In London? Not smart

OP your health and safety is the priority… and unfortunately when you have lots of young people + alcohol things could easily spiral into violence (fight, stabbing etc)

Personally, i’d advise that you call/message the guest and sternly tell them that you are aware of the party and that they must end it ASAP otherwise the ‘police’ will be called

Now at my property, I can shut off all the services (gas,electricity and water) from outside the property. This always ends the party loool

2 Likes

Yes but @Fahed isn’t in the US, he’s in the UK. I was commenting based on my knowledge of how our UK home insurance works :slight_smile:

The bottom line is as hosts we should always have plans for a worse case scenarios such as unruly guests/guests who throw a party. Personally my plan includes having sourced a private security firm for places I co-host in London as well as where i live who would go to a property with me.

I stand by my advice that if you know if you have guests partying you don’t wait hours once you have arrived at a listing giving guests the opportunity to create further damage.

Of course it’s rather foolhardy to turn up to a situation like this by yourself and not have adequate protection. There would be no difference to his safety if he went in on arrival or waited a couple of hours.

Obviously before you turn up you should be taken the step of calling/messaging the ‘guest’.

The police would not come out here in the UK for a party unless a crime had been committed or Fahed had got Airbnb to cancel the booking and the party goers refused to leave. But I would definitely have called them on route to the property to flag the situation and say they may be required if guests didn’t leave peaceably

1 Like

To every host I believe.

@rexbanner Shutting off the power and services!! Love this!

Only if you want to break the law. :slight_smile:

Here, anyway.

3 Likes

@helsi I’m not sure we read the same post. I interpreted it that the guests were gone by the time he got there based on a neighbor’s complaint. It sounded like he was waiting to see how many came out and when no one did (they had another night on the booking) then he went in to find no one had stayed. They just had a rager.

There is also no statement saying the WiFi was down prior to their arrival. It seems they were savvy enough to disable it.

Either way, this is most unfortunate. @Fahed like others have said, make a lot of noise on their public social media threads. Apparently that has worked for others when nothing else did. CS seems to not be very helpful, I couldn’t say, because I haven’t had to call them in a long time.

Good luck.

2 Likes