FYI - AIR POLICY that affects some with SMART LOCKs

@JustANewHost. Please read the details. Take your time with it.
You are NOT ALLOWED to FORCE GUESTs to install and use an APP. Read that again, as you seem to be missing it. This is regardless of any exception to use a smart lock (HOA or whatever).
You MUST provide the guest at least one more way to gain access. That is very clear.
Consider what can happen and WILL happen, given some time. The Guest:

1. Can refuse (and then call Air)
  2. May not be tech savvy
  3. May not have a smart phone
  4. May have an older smart phone that can’t use the app
    For your consideration as an example - we would not install an app just to gain access to an STR. That isn’t going to happen and our phones are pretty new. For all we know, there is crap in there that gives data to some company that we don’t trust. No thanks.
2 Likes

I don’t think I’m missing anything you’ve said. I made it clear we always had more than one option ( initially the app was the main way but we always offered people a lock box if they didn’t want to use it). We just upgraded to add a keypad for the same lock as well for convenience after one guest struggled with installing the app before their visit. That language about being compliant with having an option is actually pretty much built into the automatic communication that comes in from the August Lock service when they book.

I didn’t say anyone should use the Smart Lock App as the only option - I simply said - Airbnb allows you to use them as a method for accessing the property.

2 Likes

Personally, I wouldn’t book a place that required me to download an app to gain entry.

Look what happened a few weeks ago when Facebook, Whatsapp and Instagram all crashed worldwide for about half a day. People all over the world were freaking out, as for many, those are the only venues they use for their businesses. People are too much reliant these days on tech to the point where they are lulled into a false sense of security that it will always work, so they have no alternatives set up.

I’ve often though that about electronic windows in cars, because they do go on the blink sometimes. Then your windows are either stuck open or stuck shut. There should be the old style window cranks in cars as a back-up if the electronics fail.

I can only speak for what we drive - but my car has manual releases for the doors and for the windows for emergencies.

I can only speak for my car - but it definitely has manual release cables for powered doors and windows. Most of these things at least for safety have some kind of backup.

Hmm. I’m not aware of a feature like that in my vehicle, a 2002 Ford Escape. I’ll have to research that.

I’ll admit I’m not sure if you are making a general statement of referring to me/what I wrote.
I am certain I read all of this at some point, but it’s a lot to internalize w/o context (i.e. in the beginning w/ no experience).

As I experience more situations I am getting a feel for what works (for me) and what doesn’t (I don’t feel right about doing it or I don’t like it).

I had someone pay me cash for an impromptu late checkout once after he couldn’t get the app to work (not my fault Air couldn’t get it together that day). I was and am cool with that.

This last time everything went sideways after I gave in to something I didn’t want to do and I found myself regretting I had any other tie with this “guest” beyond Air. Live and learn.

All that said, I’m not one for breaking rules in general but there is that intersection between rules and common sense where things get ???.

If I don’t know someone I need to be on platform (makes me feel more comfortable). If I have a relationship/trust built up, then we can talk. Although, that has yet to occur. I have only recently started telling guests to keep my contact info and feel free to reach out next time they will be in the area. I don’t say more than that.

You will get a number of hosts here who tell you what kind of rental they would and would not stay at. It’s usually in response to what someone has posted and then one or two hosts wouldn’t stay there. Who cares? Each of us is an anecdote, not a collection of data. If you use a lock that works best with an app and it ends up that you have multiple problems with it, quit using it. There are plenty of guests who won’t have any problem staying in a place like that. I recently stayed at a place at the other end of the spectrum in terms of the tech/key/door/check in set up. I’ll take an app over that any day. But bottom line,I’d stay at the place with the undesirable lock again.

For USA hosts (Canada too I think) I don’t know about other places

Speaking of smart locks. WOOT (super discounted Amazon site) has a great price on a smart lock.

Can use with a Hub or Bluetooth. Can use with Google or Alexa home.

Ultraloq U-Bolt Smart Deadbolt - $79.99 - Free shipping for Prime members Ultraloq U-Bolt Smart Deadbolt

Ah ok - thank you for clarifying. Just want to make sure you don’t end up the victim of “Air BS”. In your shoes, I would certainly make sure our ACCOUNT is noted and verified in writing - not just “hey it’s in our house rules and listing”.

Agree. TBH, it’s verging on hysterical from some posters…

JF

Ditto. The Marriott e-key option was an unreliable PITA ruined my perception of e-locks. I installed one for a couple good reasons but I don’t like it. My keybox is clunky but reliable

2 Likes

I think I mentioned this on a previous topic, totally with @muddy as well, and obviously you @Annet3176.

JF

1 Like

And they can simply share that code with anyone. It is a little more involved to share their app account.

Yeah, sure. And for most of us, a guest could share a code while they are there and it’s still valid. We change the lockbox code for each guest. Nothing is perfect.
No smartlock is going to prevent a guest who brings extra people, animals, etc. That’s why many of us have cameras …
We do what we can. Tech is all well and good and has its place.

2 Likes

Airbnb allows August Smart lock to send messages to our guests about installing the app and the first line of these messages says “Airbnb has partnered with August Smart Lock…” (etc). Also, the August Smart Lock app settings allow to select “works with”… Airbnb (as one of the choices).
So what policy is violated if Airbnb actively facilitates this?
BTW as I posted before, I object to the automated messages and since I cannot edit or override them I have disconnected the “works with…” link and am setting up our guests on August Smart Lock manually.
And our guests love the app. And the 1 or 2 who don’t, stay elsewhere and miss out on the fun.

1 Like