Furnishing Services

Perhaps, but for me it doesn’t matter so much the space as the efficiency and innovative applications. It can be done if the designers would only tap into the best source, the cooks.

No it’s really 640 square feet! The living room and kitchen are fairly normal sized, but the bedrooms are tiny. 2 of them barely fit a twin bed.

1 Like

Thing is, to make it somewhat relevant to this post, if you are furnishing a bedroom you need the same basic furniture pieces whether the room is big or small. Small room has to have a bed too, and sometimes you have to be more picky because of size limitations.

1 Like

Ah, just what the world needs. Another generic Airbnb in which the owner is not invested in emotionally - not even to the point of picking out the furnishings. Sounds lovely.

2 Likes

@CatskillsGrrl

The original poster of this thread is co-hosting so there is a personal connection to the property.

@janeandcharley

I am in awe. Cute & it’s all there! I notice your house number is 601. So you’ve got 640 at 601? (My silly humor)

1 Like

I would argue that unless it is a big time investing company, the owner is probably still emotionally invested, even if they don’t personally want to decorate. Its a lot of stress and emotion goes into just deciding to do it, choosing the house, etc. Sure it won’t have the personal touch as much as a true home, but still. But would you judge someone for paying a decorator for their personal home? Anyway some people just want a rental house, not necessarily the personal aspect.

1 Like

They are managing the property. They don’t own it. I stand by my comment.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what being emotionally invested in a property has to do with the guest experience.

1 Like

Comment of the day. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I thought harassing other forum members was against forum policy?

1 Like

@Brandt. Were you trying to go down the path of “let’s be supportive of the new OP so they feel welcomed & participate in the forum”?

The OP asked for advice on charging for decorator/furniture purchase services while being a co-host.

If guests don’t like the decor the reviews will reflect that. We haven’t seen it and can’t judge. I’m not sure why the negative comment was made to begin with.

I was supporting the OP. Someone was saying that because the OP doesn’t own the unit he/she will fail because will not be "emotionally invested.’ Whatever that means. Lots of people are good at what they do even if not owners.

@Brandt
I agree with you.

Moving specifically to the topic of not decorating your own home/unit…I’ve been around many people who gladly tell you, “I hired a decorator. I love the look…” and didn’t decorate the homes they live in. Their homes were lovely.

That is hardly harassing. You made the comment of the day and I noted it.

1 Like

The criticism that I was not supportive or welcoming of the OP is true. I was not. For that I apologize to @wonderwillow. They were just trying to ask a reasonable question.

However, I am at a crossroads with Airbnb and probably, by extension, the forum. I hate the kind of rental the OP is describing. It. It has been a long time since I felt any real affection for Airbnb and the proliferation of investment properties like this only adds to my distaste.

As for what you should charge the owner, she should be paying you a helluva lot. You’re doing all the work. Even 20% of each booking seems light.

3 Likes

Personally if I was buying an investment property for Airbnb, I would rather use an experienced Airbnb co-host to manage the property for me and another experienced company to actually set the property up, rather than a friend, however nice, and however close we might be.

I think when it comes to business, its always good to separate friendship and business.

The OP doesn’t have any experience of running an Airbnb or setting one up. S/he says it will be quicker and easier for his/her friend to use them. However, my opinion is the purchaser would be better employing people with the right experience and skills, then a friend with no experience, however close they might be.

6 Likes

@Helsi THAT is an excellent point and you hit it on the head. It is - as many forget - a hospitality business. At its core is a relationship with guests.

As a property manager posted on another thread about noise:

“I think our biggest issue is that the neighbourhood 10 years ago was very close and tight knit. Now that we and one other company have purchased 2 of the houses and converted them in to Airbnb’s, the neighbours are feeling slightly unsettled. The majority of neighbours are OK with our property, but there are 2 in particular that are against STR’s being used down the street.”

I wonder where the tipping point is for neighborhoods? I expect in the future we’ll see hosts on complaining here that there are too many airbnbs in their neighborhood and it’s ruined the neighborhood, brought down property values and airbnb rates and provoked government limits.

It reminds me of the debates we have had in my city about building on the mountain. The property owners with the high up properties and great views were all for building on the mountain when theirs was the only property but when someone comes along and wants to build above them they are all about “preserving the mountain.”

4 Likes

We have that same sentiment in Hawaii.

Q. Who is the latest proponent of slow growth?
A. The guy whose escrow just closed. :rofl:

7 Likes