Fulfilling guest grocery requests?

And I thought I was shopping for nuts. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only bottled water, tea bags and instant coffee. And, I leave directions to a supermarket and 24-hour drugstore within walking distance if they need anything else. Done!

1 Like

Where in Boston are you? My place is there too. We provide snacks (like granola bars), tea / coffee / milk / wine and backup toiletries. Anything else is on them and we don’t take special orders. My place is 10 min walk from a 24 HR full service grocery store.

In Boston? Where? Boston is not a 24/7 kind of town, in general. I am in Somerville.

I type with one finger as I can’t stay siting up for long periods. I don’t have the energy to spell check every word. Nit in this case means not, but I’m sure most folks could figure that out.

I suppose I could say you were nit picking.

1 Like

So simple…

20 20 20

South Boston–I guess that makes snese.

She coulda but if you read the trail I already said that for her :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like to leave a small amount of items. (Prepackaged lunch meat-cheese-bread-can soup/spaghetti-coffee-tea-granola bars-apples-beer-wine-soda-water-etc). I know I would appreciate it if I was the guest. And Im not forcing anyone to eat it. When I’m staying somewhere for the weekend, the last thing I want to do is go grocery shopping for a late nite snack.The important thing is to not overfill the fridge, so as to leave room in case the guest does go shopping themselves.

Not appropriate to my listing but I can see it could be for others and a way of adding value and profit.

That’s an interesting approach–thank you. I see what you are saying—if the guest is coming in late–or tired. Sometimes shopping is a good thing or could be a pain in the neck. Ever tried asking them what they would want in particular?

I ask every time. And it doesn’t cost a lot either. Nobody usually consumes much, but they all eat/drink something, so I know its appreciated…

I leave a selection of regular and herbal teas, coffee, hot chocolate and cider. There are also staples like flour, sugar, pancake mix, oats, spices. An items that is good for both a dessert and a quick tummy-filler in the morning is a biscotti - I leave 1 per person. That way if they arrive late there is something there for them to eat in the morning or before a late bedtime.

I also offer a service for guests flying in to stock the house with groceries. There is a nearby grocery store where they can select the items they want online and I let them know when it can be delivered when I will be doing the prep work. It arrives at the door and I put the groceries in the fridge/cupboards for their arrival.

Upon request I would also do select shopping for them, and I’ve even helped them come up with a menu for their meals. I would charge a fee of ~$20 an hour to do that for them. Not many people take me up on that offer (thankfully) but guests really feel that I am looking after them, just knowing that the option is there.

1 Like

I keep oats in a Mason jar so no critters can get in. I tape the packaging with the instructions to the outside of the Mason jar.

1 Like

I put them in sealed canisters on the kitchen counter. The pancake mix has cut-out instructions on how to mix it. Nothing for the oats. If they don’t know how to make oatmeal there are cookbooks there. :smile:

2 Likes

We just had to replace our microwave because a guest burnt a muffin to charcoal in our old one. We couldn’t get the smell out. Since then, we leave nothing to chance.

1 Like

I know! Boston is so sleepy! My apt is by the Pru and the Star grocery store is across the street.

1 Like