FRUSTRATED — why do guests take it upon themselves to check in early

At least you got a “thanks”, I don’t get an acknowledgment that they have even received my message.

Charge for early check in. Keep the linen cupboard locked. They are treating you with disrespect.

2 Likes

uuuuuffff. They are unhappy. Oh well.

I try my hardest to be as transparent as possible, but some things just don’t get through. I have a 4.9 , but there’s always that one guest…

1 Like

Not let anyone even think about coming in early without coughing up $

1 Like

Please review appropriately. Guest didn’t read listing and then complained about it. Do not recommend.

2 Likes

She responded to my (what I thought) was a very polite response with, “okay, I just said there isn’t enough room to store our stuff”

Whatever, I’m disconnecting from them. They’ll be gone in 2 days.

Wow are you allowed to bolt closed windows where you are? Here it would be deemed a fire hazard and the fire service could close you down.

Yes, when you’re on a higher floor or have children

That’s interesting. Here you would be expected to fit a safety lock or change the window,

Didn’t realise fire safety legislation in the US was so much more lax then ours.

Getting back to early check-in, I usually try to accommodate guests who want to check in early when it’s possible. Recently I had a guest who was coming to a nearby medical center with her child for a checkup. She asked if she could check in at 10:30 or 11 am as opposed to 4 pm. Since there was no guest leaving that morning, I told her she could come at 11:30. I had an appointment that morning and drove into my garage at 11:30 by my watch. The guest walked around the corner of the garage as I got out of my car. I didn’t think anything of it at the time (and yes, I should have allowed myself more time). In her review she gave me a 4 on check-in because “Cailyn was only a little bit late, but I fumbled around trying to find her.” In reality, she was checking in 4.5 HOURS early with no extra charge. So I’m kind of soured on letting them in early.

Since I don’t know until the last couple days before the check-in whether there will be a prior guest checking out that morning (if I get a new reservation), I haven’t wanted to offer it with a charge. I’m not sure it makes sense to block off a full day that someone might rent for full price so that a guest could come early for a small fee. I have had rare guests leave my place in such a mess that it has taken the entire time (11 am to 4 pm) to clean up. How do those of you who charge for it handle the cleaning if it’s bad and you had agreed to an early check-in?

2 Likes