Front door camera to ascertain guest numbers guest ages

I have a per person fee after the 1st guest and always have since the beginning. Two of our units are for 4 (or 5 with special permission) guests and one is for 2 guests only. When I was putting together my listings, I wanted them to reflect how I travel and what I appreciate as a guest.

I love to travel alone and so wanted to make sure that single travelers could afford my listings and thus the extra fee for any guest more than one (effectively giving a discount to a single traveler). And I’ve found through experience that a single travel is not just 1/2 as much less trouble as a duo, but 10 times less trouble than a duo+ so as a host I’ve grown to particularly appreciate them as a host and not just as a fellow single traveler.

I also travel with my dog and so don’t charge a separate pet fee. The pet fee is calculated into my pricing so that dog owners don’t feel like they are paying more (everyone is paying more, lol, for the good of the dogs :wink:

Every once in awhile I have to cue someone to book for the correct amount of guests. Anyone who books for “1” who doesn’t explicitly say “it’s just me” gets questioned about how many guests there will actually be. I’ve never lost a booking from it. I have copy and paste responses about it and so it’s really not any trouble for me.

3 Likes

I’ve always just had a listing for solo travellers. I love them. Even if I had space in that room for more than a single bed, I’d stick to solos. Not only are they more sociable than a couple might be, who have each other to relate to (which when I’m sharing a kitchen and some other areas with guests is important to me) they tend to be self-sufficient, adaptable, non-complainers who don’t make a mess.

In over three years of hosting, I’ve ever had what I’d say is a objectionable guest and almost all of them have been really interesting, articulate, well-travelled people. And most, regardless of gender, leave their room and bathroom extremely clean and tidy.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it.
I have a ring doorbell with a rechargeable battery. Battery lasts 45-60 days. Front door only.

1. Nothing you do is perfect. Everything has pros, cons & workarounds: the goal is to make things a little better

2. Ring has an app. You can easily change monitoring from continuous to when motion detected to when bell rings. Mine is motion dection only. The less camera activation, less bandwidth used.

3. Don’t overthink it-that’s what I tend to do. Yes someone can block camera while others sneak in. In my condo if they think about it, they can come in the back door.

Hang in there.

I feel your pain on Cheeto finger prints.

4 Likes

Yep, we have hard wired cameras in all three of our homes. I wouldn’t do it without. We’ve taken screen shots and charged people for the extras who show up. One of my properties I absolutely cannot have more than listed; we’re closely monitored by our small City and I don’t want to lose our license. I think security cameras and sound measuring devices are vital.

1 Like