From the new Airbnb Terms of Service

Couple of things I found interesting. Some of these things are not new but they are trying to make it very clear/understandable where their responsibility limits are. There have been recent threads on this site about A few of these topics.

2.4. Airbnb does not endorse any Member, Listing or Host Services. Any references to a Member being “verified” (or similar language) only indicate that the Member has completed a relevant verification or identification process and nothing else.

1.7. Due to the nature of the Internet, Airbnb cannot guarantee the continuous and uninterrupted availability and accessibility of the Airbnb Platform.

4.4 You may not register more than one (1) Airbnb Account unless Airbnb authorizes you to do so. You may not assign or otherwise transfer your Airbnb Account to another party. (Translation by me-Guests Cannot allow someone else to use their account-no third party bookings)

7.1.8 Airbnb recommends that Hosts obtain appropriate insurance for their Host Services.

7.2.1 Unless expressly allowed by Airbnb, you may not list more than one Accommodation per Listing.

7.4.4 As a Co-Host, you will not be reviewed by Guests, meaning that your Co-Host activities will not affect your Reviews or Ratings for other Listings for which you are a Host

10.1 …Ratings and Reviews are not verified by Airbnb for accuracy and may be incorrect or misleading.

11.4 If you are a Guest or a Co-Host, you understand and agree that Airbnb may make a claim under your homeowner’s, renter’s or other insurance policy related to any damage or loss that you may have caused, or been responsible for, to any personal or other property (including an Accommodation) of the Host

15.4 Airbnb may immediately, without notice, terminate this Agreement and/or stop providing access to the Airbnb Platform if (i) you have materially breached your obligations under these Terms…

19.4 Agreement to Arbitrate . You and Airbnb mutually agree that any dispute, claim or controversy arising…will be settled by binding individual arbitration

There is a LONG section on cancellations—no real changes but reinforces, “this is how Airbnb handles cancellations”. Meaning if we don’t like it, we shouldn’t use their platform.

Long boring read, but if we make a mistake, it could cost us. Worth the read.

4 Likes
  1. This Host does not endorse any platform. In fact, you’re better off booking with me directly, which will save us both fees.
  2. Due to the nature of the Internet, the Host cannot guarantee uninterrupted WiFi service. Guest acknowledges this by booking and will not seek a refund or any consideration for such, nor whine to Host nor Airbnb.
  3. Guests may not sneak in more people than they have registered, and may not assign or otherwise transfer their booking to creepy strangers, secondary market clients of their illegal or unregistered “tourist agency,” or weird Uncle Ted and Aunt Susie.
  4. Host recommends that Guests obtain appropriate travel insurance, as Host does not want to spend time and energy arguing with Airbnb about “extenuating circumstances.”.
  5. Unless expressly allowed by Host, Guest may not invite one or more “visiting” friends to party and trash the place.
  6. As my Co-Host, your percentage of the gross will be immediately decreased from 25% to 5% if you lose me my Superhost status.
  7. My Rating and Review of you is NEVER incorrect or misleading. Admit it, you left garbage and dirty dishes all over the place, and just move on.
  8. If you are a Guest or Co-Host, you understand and agree that I may make a claim against your insurance for any damage or loss that you may have caused.
  9. The Host may immediately terminate your booking for activities or impacts that any rational person would consider dangerous, threatening or damaging.
  10. The Host retains all legal rights and does not agree to arbitration. However, if forced to arbitrate, the Host refuses to sign any non-disclosure agreements.
8 Likes

@Annet3176 Thank you for pointing out these things. I used to read new T&Cs carefully to look for (sneaky) changes but I just can’t be bothered any more. That’s not good, I know, but I decided that I’m still going to use the platform so what’s the point?
But I’m very grateful to you for alerting us :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well this one is kind of fascinating!
In the business world the transfer of a business would include its assets, including accounts. I can’t imagine that Yelp would delete all the existing reviews for an establishment because it changed ownership. But that’s precisely what Airbnb is doing by not allowing transfer of an Air account.
Does this mean that those management company empires with hundreds of properties and thousands of reviews can’t reassign the account to another manager if one leaves?

This does not include reviews. Actually both Yelp and TripAdvisor remove old reviews at the request of the new owner when he can proof the business has a new owner.

The management companies are working with fake managers anyways. So transfer of accounts is easely done.

Main reason for AirBnB to do this is to prevent account trading. It is normal in the gaming world to sell accounts with good assets.
Some properties can easily reach and maintain superhost status. Imagine how much money can be made by selling superhost accounts.

I took this to mean that you can’t transfer your account. I know people who have sold their successful Airbnb property and thought they could simply turn over their Airbnb listing to the new owner. They could have made them a Co-Host, but not the listing owner. The new home owner had to create their own new listing, which is only fair, to my mind.

1 Like