From best to worst guest in less than a month!

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. Can we demand a deposit with the reservation and simply deduct the fee for extra guests from it? It may avoid unnecessary arguments if a host has this option to play.

no. ABB holds the security, if you have one, and ABB makes the rules.
And it is against the rules to hold a deposit on the side.
They are the judge, the jury, and the king.

He wasn’t going to be prevented from visiting his daughter. That is not the issue. His refusal to pay for the extra guest was the problem.

Thank you for your information, GeorgyGirl. What does the deposit cover if a host can’t charge unauthorized guests with proofs? What is the proper way that a host can get the money for thus issue? Or, is there a certain procedure Airbnb wants us to follow regarding these charges? Thank you again for answering the questions of a newbie.

Here is a link to Airbnb’s answer to the question, “What happens if a host makes a claim on my security deposit?” As you can see, the security deposit is really for damages, not extra overnight guests. The host is required to provide documentation. I don’t know how you would do that for extra overnight guests.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/352/what-happens-if-a-host-makes-a-claim-on-my-security-deposit

really if you mention Airbnb resolution it gets pulled? why, if its part of the narrative?

I would assume that you are not permitted to mention in the review an issue that has been sent to The Resolution Center but has not been resolved.

ABB is very guest slanted. They generally make all conflicting decisions ruling in favor of the guest. Hosts have very little power, and are encumbered by many compromises in order to protect themselves.
I recommend that you sit down and start reading all the policies and rules before you dive in head first. It is good to know and understand all your options before an incident occurs, not after.

2 Likes

Thank you for you advice, GeorgyGirl. I have been checking out the Airbnb’s Host Community and this forum in the last couple weeks. Frankly, I don’t have the guts to dive into a pile of something I can’t handle.

You’re right that there are a lot of conflicting information online. Some said that they had experienced this issue and received extra charges from the guest deposits through Airbnb. I believe that the hosts have to provide evidence as always. Airbnb does not have any clear procedure for a host to follow regarding the issue of Extra Guests. Airbnb only tells a host to send a Change Request to his guest on their Help Center page. It does not apply to our cases here since our guests have already checked in our property.

It still applies and can be changed even after a guest has checked in.The advice you have been given is correct.

Not true. I have been a guest complaining about a host and initially got short shrift. Eventually I got a couple of vouchers to use but the host kept 100% of their payout. So no Airbnb don’t always side with guests.

If it’s true even if a guest had checked in, Karin (katnhat) could have sent her guest a Change Request the next day and expected that she could charge a higher price to her guest for an unauthorized person. Is that how the issue should be handled? Please clarify.

@Zandra, but you never left right? Why would they take back a payout when you were using the “services?” In this case, AirBNB did their best to satisfy you, but you were unable to locate an alternative accommodation at a price you were willing to pay.

4 Likes

I said “generally” - not “always”.
I stand by my opinion and analysis of the methods of ABB -:slight_smile:

If you send a change for an unauthorized person, and they dont pay for the change…then what?

good for you!, ANd this is what every host should do, no more squatting. I was thinking about itm remembering Lizy and her blob . What if she packed her clothes while the blob was away, and met her at the door. WHat would blob do? SO, she calls police, and then police can do what? Moved her back into the house, hardly.

But anyway, i am happy you did this. What was his reaction?

1 Like

Hello, GeorgyGirl. I have the same thought as yours since this Change Request is subject to be accepted by the guest. It does not make any sense, especially Airbnb labels it as a Change Reservation even if the guest has stayed the first night already. In my opinion, any unauthorized use of a host’s properties is considered a property damage and a host should be allowed to claim against the guest’s security deposit.

I feel sorry for Karin as the guest intentionally cheated her on everything and still argued with her after getting caught red-handed. Certainly, Karin could have marked her price at $49 per night without any fee for extra guest (in stead of $39 with a $10 fee for extra guest) so that she did not have to go through this non-sense. She made lodging more affordable to everyone by lowering her price and she got screwed with no support from Airbnb.

That was just for appearance because she was not his daughter. His behavior was too screwy and furtive. Why would anyone go to so much trouble to avoid paying $39? He didn’t want to risk having her identity revealed or be on record.

@anon67190644 Nope you misremember.

I wanted to leave. Day one I was ready to go. But then they handed the case over to someone else who decided I wouldn’t qualify for a refund for the remaining 10 days but they’d give me a $50 credit note. I wasn’t up for that so kept battling with Airbnb and eventually they reversed their decision. Then they gave me recommendations in Florida or somewhere equally hilarious and by then I was over it. The credit notes were then an APOLOGY for their mess up but came far too late in the process.

Hi Friends: Well, he wasted no time posting a review. I’ve listened to your advice and hope that this encapsulates your directions to be short and factual without emotion. He complained about the heat being off, hence the final comment. Please post your feedback. :slight_smile:

Jerry didn’t communicate his plans in advance. If he had, I would have reminded him of the house rules – no parties; no overnight visitors; and no food in the room, to name a few of the rules he violated. I also advised him that there was an extra blanket in the closet. He refused to use it and instead complained that the heat was off at night, which is noted in the description and in the house rules. BTW – the house temp in the morning was 62 degrees.