From 24 Hours to Three Months and Counting

I’ve been gone for three months so far. I went to the hospital in late January for emergency gallbladder surgery.

Everyone—surgeons included—expected me to go home the next day. That didn’t happen.

I think I had every complication. Hospital ICU for three weeks.

I’m now in rehab, learning how to stand again and, ideally, to walk.

I’m not standing yet. Don’t know how much longer it’ll take.

But there is progress with my top half. I came here unable to talk sensibly or hold a spoon. I can do those things now, but I’m still very puzzled by my cell phone.

14 Likes

Wow. Congratulations on your progress and best wishes for a full recovery.

5 Likes

Oh no – I’m so sorry, but happy to hear you’re making progress.

Is there anything anyone here might be able to do to help??

[You understand that if you find my posts convoluted or hard-to-follow, that it’s me, not you, right?]. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Seconded! You’re one of us @RebeccaF , so don’t be afraid of letting us know if there’s anything we can do for you. And be sure to check in regularly - we’ll all worry if you disappear again.

I had a similar experience in 2017 - coma for 2 weeks, ICU for 4 weeks, a long time in hospital flat on my back - therefore I know that you can get better. This morning, like every morning, I rode for an hour and a half on my exercise bike and then a half hour of aerobics.

And I always walk much more than the obligatory 10,000 steps a day. In 2017 it was all I could do to walk from the sofa to the loo hanging onto furniture for support.

If I can do it, I know that you can.

We’re behind you all the way.

:slight_smile:

15 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about your complications. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Get lots of rest and keep the faith. Get well soon.

5 Likes

Best wishes and positive thoughts from Down Under!

3 Likes

Oh My Goodness!! Very scary to say the least. I’m glad your top half is working better and will hope and pray that your bottom half catches up with the whole of you!!

5 Likes

Get well and stronger than ever SOON! how scary.

3 Likes

Glad you are getting better! Take good care.

1 Like

Holy buckets! Glad to hear you’re on the road to recovery! Will be sending healing thoughts out for you!

1 Like

May you continue to recover speedily, Rebecca. A sobering reminder that life as we know it can change from one moment to the next and to take nothing for granted.

6 Likes

Sending virtual (gentle!) hugs! Please keep us up to date!

1 Like

Welcome back. One day at a time! It sounds like you are finally on the right trajectory. If its any consolation many of us who have not been ill are sometimes puzzled by our cellphones!

5 Likes

Wishing you a speedy recovery

1 Like

About a week ago I got a text message from Rebecca indicating she would like to update this forum on her condition but was unable to complete the task. As I understand her, she had been improving in rehab but had a setback with her kidney function and was sent back to the hospital last Wednesday. She wanted the forum to know. I haven’t heard back from her since Saturday.

8 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about the setback. Does anyone live nearby her? Maybe someone can stop by the hospital and check in on her. Wishing her a quick recovery.

2 Likes

She has a husband, I don’t know if she has other relatives nearby. She lives in Dayton, OH.

1 Like