Found guests poking around our yard weeks before booked dates. WTF?

Why? What did you write in the review??

Thanks. No apology necessary!

1 Like

I was just honest, I said that she was a quiet and polite guest. She left the apartment clean and in good condition. One minor issue was that one evening weeks prior to the reservation date, we saw a car idling in our driveway and went outside to find two people poking around our property. xx person and her mom explained who they were. We had not received any request to come check out the property and luckily we had no other guests at the time but it was a bit startling at 8pm. We are hopeful this was a misunderstanding about Airbnb being someone’s home but felt the need to mention it in the review.

3 Likes

Totally. Makes sense, but we are on a dead end, our neighbors are probably are more annoyed by random things in the street than interested in taking them.

Well this says it all. I disagree with comments supporting you, I think you were being petty even though I think you’re probably a pretty nice and honest person. The chair thing is an overreaction imho

2 Likes

Oh dear, I am a self-confessed chair leaver! Booked an Airbnb in NOLA and bought folding outdoor chairs to take to the Zydeco festival in Louis Armstrong park. Texted the host I was leaving them, hoped future guests could use them. We let her dog hang out with us on the porch assured her he was no bother. We gave each other great reviews, everything was informal and easygoing. I concur that your guests’ initial odd behavior probably distanced you and led to viewing everything they did with a negative perspective, that pre-visit would’ve taken me aback also. (I do my pre-visits sneakily by deducing the location through the listing pics and texts, then google-map checking out the situation before booking).

2 Likes

Yeah, I was very surprised that they left us a nice review. I didn’t unfold the chairs or take them out of their bag but unless they were in excellent condition goodwill wouldn’t take it so it was just an annoying thing that would sit in my garage until I found somewhere to take them to or time to list on craigslist, etc. Again, I feel like I was just being petty after the whole snooping around my house intro to these folks. But at the end of the day I also think it’s reasonable to ask them to take chairs that they brought and I’m glad I wasn’t punished with a negative review for doing so.

1 Like

Cabin I agree with you.

If she really wanted to donate the chairs to the host why did she put them on the curb to be taken by either the trash people or by neighbors?

i think it was @Canadianhost who told us about the constant stream of ski clothes and goods her guests leave and how all had become a burden because she had to haul it off. We should not be burdened with having to dispose of guest stuff… even if it is new. We don’t need any more chairs!!!

I disagree with some of my friends here. The host should not be called rude and petty because she didn’t want someone else’s leftovers. They were put out with the trash anyway, not offered to the host until later, until the trash service had been there and gone.

I really was appalled when she first told the story about the guests trespassing (yes, that is what it was) weeks before their reservation and without permission.

Who the HECK does that???

After such an intrusion, I’d feel annoyed about the chairs too. Our host was not petty and rude whatsoever my friends.

Don’t feel guilty about leaving an honest review. That needed to be said, and thank you for saying it.

10 Likes

Yup! That was me.

Yes, when I have a car full of other items those things can really add up to be a royal pain in the neck. I think the recipients appreciated the freebies, but it is definitely a hassle for me.

What I wish would happen in my case and the OP’s, is for the guest to ask the host if they want them BEFORE they just leave them there and inform the host that they’ve bequeathed them those items.:roll_eyes: Surely the guests can send a quick note - could you use these, or should I bring them to goodwill?

2 Likes

Rubbish is not easy to deal with where I live. There’s no trash service out here I don’t have a truck for hauling stuff.

That said, I am still enjoying the deluxe cooler some nice guests left behind as well as a few beach chairs.

2 Likes

I assume not the deluxe FAN/room cooler.

Oh! I shouldn’t open that up again! :persevere:

1 Like

Oh bahahahahah! I forgot about that!!! It’s upstairs, and I should add that I was just opening my electric bill reminder… for 111 when it is normally well under $100. Those guests ran multiple fans 24/7 and left me with the bill. But they got a thumbs down from me and I don’t feel a bit guilty!!!

1 Like

Haha, nope. My guest beat me to the review (less than a day) to complain I refused to turn on A/C for them in the evening when the low was 61 F. Upon cleaning I see they pulled out a winter fleece blanket and used with regular bed coverlet!! And that my dog barked twice in the late evening which prevented them from “a good night’s sleep”.

You did the right thing. Any guest that comes onto the property to have a snoop around before check-in date is trespassing, not to mention the lack of respect that they have for whom ever lives there (including you). This behavior would warrant a cancellation from us unless they were outwardly apologetic. Grilling the host about the listing as cover for their bad behavior doesn’t cut it.