Follow up "Is inquiry a scam, or phishing"

You weren’t on the forum yet when this incident occurred.

1 Like

Might have been lurking :wink:

JF

2 Likes

@CatskillsGrrl
That was a nightmare. Glad you & your rental are now on the other side of it.

Sadly it shows there is always someone trying to play the system & they make it harder for the legitimate businesses.

You and 10,000 other folks on the internet. I wouldn’t have advised CatskillsGrrl to put out an all call on the public part of the forum to “go after” anyone in any way. Even in PM’s I wouldn’t heed a complete strangers offer to help.

1 Like

You going for the pedant of the week award?

:stuck_out_tongue:

JF

Sure, I always take any meaningless award offered. It’s common in the teaching field. I hope there a plaque.

Just for you:

NcICtXp

Best I can do at short notice :wink:

JF

2 Likes

Underpromise, overdeliver. Good job.

1 Like

That’s exactly right. I figured out the deal literally an hour or so after the Theycay guests left the property. It’s also one of the reasons Airbnb was so lackadaisical in its response. She was suspended, but not for long. At the time she even hosted part of her apartment in Brooklyn. Her rule? Must show your passport or ID upon arrival. :roll_eyes:

Mine was not the only house ‘curated’ for this event. There were two others. I contacted both hosts. One was as livid as I. The other defensive and condescending. I said “you can tell your friend I will not rest until she is out of business.” I even contacted the venue where the wedding took place and explained the situation. I take great satisfaction in knowing the venture failed.

5 Likes

I am fairly new to this but on AirBnB i have gotten so many bogus inquiries but I don’t understand what their scam is. They are all translated from another language, always overly complementary, ask availability and basic questions like # of rooms, etc.that are clearly on the description. I usually stop corresponding with them after I tell them to read the description. Maybe I cut them off before they get what they want. I just don’t get it.