Five stars overall but four stars in each catagory? Any ideas why?

I just had had a couple for a one night stay…in town for a wedding, seemed nice enough and pleased with the room. Their review was short “A bed and breakfast with a very nice welcome”, gave us 5 stars overall but 4 stars in every category.
This has happened several times before and I have a hard time understanding it unless it has to do with the psychology of asking people to critique specifically rather than an overall impression. Anyone else seen this?

All I know is, BETTER THAN THE OBVERSE.

4 Likes

Exactly as @PuppyLover said!

It’s certainly puzzling, but no more so than when a guest rates you 5 stars in every category but 4 overall. I’ve had two of those this season!

1 Like

Because people work on gut feelings rather than logic … I can actually make a stab at your guests’ thinking:“Hmm, cleanliness, well there were those few leaves outside the door, so maybe a 4 for that, and I would have liked it a bit closer to/further from the city centre so maybe 4 for location. On the other hand the hosts were great and we had a wonderful time so I’ll go with 5 overall”.

So yes, your psychology theory seems about right!.

5 Likes

I just had this happen, my first less than 5 star review. The review was over the top good, cleanest place ever and on and on. So I messaged the guest to ask if it was a mistake. Nope, she was a total bitch about it, I asked for early check in you said no, you stressed me out by telling me there was work going on out back in the guesthouse, which in the same breath she said turned out not to be a problem. She said a 4 was a good review in her opinion. I told her it was not, it was a 20% reduction and completely uncalled for.

This business would be perfect if not for people.

RR

2 Likes

hahahaa I don’t wonder why I drink…

1 Like

Don’t forget that No people = No profit.

And there lies the conundrum

lol

RR

1 Like

In France the attitude has been (although it is slowly changing) that " the customer is the unpleasant inconvenience to the otherwise pleasurable affaire of doing business"

2 Likes

So let me get this straight…no guests is bad for business?

Oh, totally … don’t you feel a rush of pride when you look at your clean, shiny room/apartment, pillows fluffed, counters gleaming, gourmet snacks at the ready, towels folded into perfect squares, hairs and dust banished to the outer darkness, and then … They arrive …

6 Likes

So I seriously just wrote this review response, then cut it and pasted it here.
I may just pull the trigger and post it:

Thank you for your kind words, that’s why I was perplexed to see you left four stars overall. You cleared up the confusion though and let me know what a favor you did me by staying with me, drinking my wine and then deducting 20% overall after giving me 5 stars in each category because you were stressed that I informed you that work was being done on another part of the property. Oh and the nerve of me for offering you early check in for a FEE! Now I know a super guest such as yourself should get more than you payed for. You poor thing! I should have let you stay for free AND gave you wine. I clearly deserved my first 4 star review for changing my planned work as not to disturb you and giving you a bottle of wine equal to 15% of the charges. Shame on me!

RR

1 Like

I wouldn’t. Seriously.

Sarcasm and personal attacks on guests in review responses always make the host look bad, no matter how much of a dick the guest was.

Just bring out the mini guest doll, mutter a few incantations then get the pins out. :smile:

JF

4 Likes

You put a lot of emphasis on the wine in your whine. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I almost did… Then I posted it here. The review is soon to be on page two anyway, likely nobody but the guest would see it if I posted it.

RR

1 Like

Some things carry more importance.

RR

Which is better than carrying impotence!

1 Like