First time having a guest booted!

Thank you! I know… smells stay with us. I don’t know what he smokes as he hides from everyone. I noticed that addicts like to hide their addictiona because they get in trouble with family and friends. My dad already lost eyesight on one eye and doctor already warned him that smoking is number one cause and he still smokes. I though he quit after that but recently my stepmother told me he still does. I was shocked

2 Likes

I am also thinking about putting no alcohol on my listing. I had a guest recently who self medicated himself with wine before bed and it’s just profoundly depressing in my home. It doesn’t improve people’s judgement or character on the whole, he was an ornery man. To be honest it’s very rare for guests to be into the lone drinking thing.

No, it’s the same thing as booking a place with no kitchen use and assuming you can buy a cup of coffee somewhere within 10 miles. :wink:

2 Likes

We’ve discussed many times guests don’t read.

I realize now how closely guests (including me) need to read.

I don’t think I could survive not having a morning cup of coffee before I get dressed, not having the option of eating a protein bar for breakfast in my room or enjoying a glass of wine while I read a book and wind down from my day.

Hosts absolutely should manage with the house rules they need. I as the guest need to be cognizant that I can’t make assumptions

2 Likes

I was just correcting what was, in my view, a wrong analogy as it involved using kitchen on host’s premises. I think most of the debate here revolves around the question whether host can regulate guest’s behaviour outside of their premises. Although I would’ve probably chosen to deal with the situation differently than she did, I see Bunny’s point too as wildfires are an extremely dangerous situation. The question is, who should penalize these guests for smoking outdoors, the sheriff or the host?

Personally, as a host, I decide to deal with situations in a preemptive manner, so I would probably decide to mitigate the situation by adjusting my rules and allowing guests to smoke on premises, in controled conditions, rather than forcing them to seek out other solutions. Afterwards, I would change the wording of my house rules stating that smokers are not suitable for my accommodation as not only it is a non-smoking household, but there are regularly county-wide bans on outdoor burning of any sort.

In the same way I would feel compelled to mention that there are no grocery shops or anything else that people reasonably expect in the vicinity (unless it’s a proper mountain retreat or something), even if it’s not my duty to do so as a host. It just makes for a better experience for everyone. That is why, for example, I mention that public transport is relatively scarce and inconvenient in my area, and I provide exact number and frequency of the buses. No one forces me to do so, but it’s nice because even people who do read listing decriptions sometimes simply don’t think. :smile:

However, I respect the fact that this was not an acceptable solution for Bunny. This is an Airbnb forum and we are here to share different opinions and learn from each other. So many times this forum helped me to see things from a different perspective or offered me a solution that I wasn’t even thinking of before.

3 Likes

I understand your grief. What you are going through is tremendous. My sister lives near all this and she too is shaking in fear that the fires will spread to her area.
But smokers have their side too. I find all my Airbnb smokers most considerate and if we tell them where they can smoke they happily comply. I have never had a problem. I give them an ashtray and they return from the garden with their butts in the ashtray and we throw them out here so we know there is no way they could start a fire.
I think there is a tendency of treating smokers like naughty children. If you treat children like grown ups they will try to act like grown ups. The same goes for smokers.

2 Likes