First non-reader complaining and wanting refund

Actually, in our hosting world, ‘non-reader’ could be considered quite the insult! Along the lines of mouth-breather, or finger-sniffer.
“Look at that badly behaved person over there…I bet he doesn’t read all of the available information on the listings page, that he may or may not subsequently book”

2 Likes

I found relying on not having any kitchen ticked as an amenity was nowhere near enough. Now it is in the main description, ‘My kitchen is not listed on Airbnb for self catering but continental breakfast is included and there are plenty of cafes, pubs and restaurants nearby.’ I also remind them on the house tour. I do allow guests to make hot drinks and have snacks in my kitchen in the evening. I think it takes at least 3 modes of communication for guests to get the message.

2 Likes

Just as an aside: I used to have an older neighbor, who was originally from Chile. After the divorce she had to take in lodgers, mostly homestay students etc BUT she allowed no one to enter her kitchen. Not to put anything in the kitchen or fridge, nor to get a glass of water (she would get it for them). She would provide 3 meals, do all the dishe…no kitchen access literally meant NO KITCHEN ACCESS.
She was…may I say without getting ripped to pieces, quite totalitarian.

Same applied to her son that was living there for a number of years. He was not allowed in the kitchen either.

1 Like

That depends on how all the rest goes. If he leaves everything in good, clean condition and checks out at the agreed time I would give a thumbs up. He may be an excellent guest in a place with the required amenities.

You mean after reading his review. If he leaves a bad review you won’t be refunding right?

I hope this all works out for you. As you know asking for a review in exchange for something is prohibited by Airbnb TOS. Even though you didn’t make the offer in writing he might still contact Airbnb to complain. I doubt it since he can’t be bothered to read but I’d still be unwilling to risk my listing over one short stay.

Friday night I was at a concert and I had an Airbnb guest. She messaged me to say the dogs were barking and she hoped they would be quiet soon. Of course I didn’t get the message until after the concert. I just replied that I was sorry to be out of touch and would be refunding her the night. There was no quid pro quo, she didn’t ask for it and most hosts here would disagree that I did it. I got my all 5 star review already. I made the same amount as I would have if I’d blocked off the night, which is what I should have done. It cost me a load of laundry and some of my time.

2 Likes

Even if he leaves a wonderful review, I don’t want to refund.

As you say, it’s against the TOS to ask for something in exchange for a review: That is what the guest, indirectly, did. Of course he didn’t put it that way, but in fact that is what the system pushes for in this situation. If we told him that he wouldn’t get his money back, he would have retaliated. (I am aware your words were meant in the other direction, but this goes both ways.)

Doing it in any more civil way (=telling the truth), would have been risking our listing. And refunding every guest because he could leave a bad review is also bad for business. We could honor our word, but many people are advising against any refund here.

We recently refunded a whole stay (2 nights) for a big mistake we made. That was our mistake and we took responsibility for it. In the end, like we were hoping, the guest didn’t leave a review. We didn’t ask for this.
In this case, refunding money, does feel very bad. I might refund some costs that we didn’t have because of the cancelation. Don’t you think that refunding anything more would create an entitled guest?

I agree with not refunding in this case. I’m just thinking of what Airbnb is going to do/wants you to do: refund and let him leave a bad review. If you could have gotten him to threaten you with a bad review in writing then you could have a chance at getting Airbnb to remove it.

In your case refunding would probably create a more entitled guest.

1 Like

@GutHend Your plan is dishonest offering a refund with no intention of giving it. I would just say no and battle it out with them and air. High road.

RR

4 Likes

His plan is to not give a refund. His husband’s plan…uh, LOL. I don’t think either of them planned to refund but in the course of the chat that’s what slipped out. The same Latin American tone that was necessary to grease the wheels (as we say in US English) is the same conciliatory tone that unintentionally offers a refund. :joy:

1 Like

I know :cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat:… Then again: Good boys go to heaven, bad boys go everywhere :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

But you are right, it’s a moral dilemma we are facing. I also very much like being just, but how should we act when being faced with injustice ourselves? We already know that the justice system (AirBnB) is not on our side: They would just let a retaliatory review stand.

@KKC :innocent::innocent::innocent: No, it didn’t really slip out like that. It was a decision :speak_no_evil::hear_no_evil::see_no_evil: to do so. I considered it the only way to prevent a lousy review. We will reconsider in case of similar event in the future.

1 Like

Although it’s true that they don’t care about you, other hosts have posted here that they sucessfully petitioned and were granted a review removal.

Ok. Sorry. I misunderstood this

So the intent was to lie to the guest but now the hubby is actually considering that you should give the refund you never intended to give. Hmm.

I wonder if you’ve been “too clever by half” … another English saying.

1 Like

In my experience … whenever a guest does not like what they got, even though they are getting exactly what the listing indicates and they want out … they will come up with the most obscure or whatever reason to get out.

Perhaps they don’t like your city, figured that they’d rather head to the beach right away …

I would not give a refund, but refer to ‘sure, if I get another booking’ or I would refund 1 instead of 2 nights … which makes it a better solution for the guest than Nada …

I have given some refunds and sometimes not, but bottom line is unless you can easily absorb a bad review, you need to avoid them.

Also, the guest is already ‘entitled’ .

3 Likes

I had to look up this one :woozy_face:. Are you sure you aren’t insulting me? :wink::grin:
No offense taken, I can only admit that there was a moment of recognition when I saw what it means.

People who try different things are not always successful, but we try to learn from our big and small mistakes everyday :blush:. And I decided to share my attempt at something new, to the benefit of all (success or failure).

I have been thinking about going midway as @AlexSJ suggests. The guest was so cheeky to ask for a refund of 50% of what he paid, but this could be interpreted in two ways:

• 50% of his whole stay (2 canceled nights on a total of 4)
  • 50% of price of the canceled nights

I would choose the second option, and maybe even deduct an administration cost, so that in the end only a symbolic refund remains. What we didn’t do is specify how much we would refund.

And we still haven’t received his cancelation, although we are one hour away from checkout. Maybe they have decided to stay anyway :smirk:. Whenever this kind of hiccup happens with a guest, I just prefer to have them out of our place.

1 Like

Defintely ONLY for the not used nights …

1 Like

That or kill them with over the top attentiveness …

1 Like

I like this idea!!! For the other lady in Brooklyn having an issue as well.

As none was intended. I understand it to mean “you are trying too hard to think of a clever solution and it’s going to bite you in the ass.” I perhaps should have looked it up before using it?

1 Like

I was just teasing you :wink: .

1 Like

“On arrival the guests cancelled due to lack of kitchen access and heating. We urge all prospective guests to fully read the listing before booking to prevent disappointment with not finding amenities that we do not offer (kitchen) and are not standard for similar accommodation in this area (heating). Or just ask us beforehand if you are not sure"

4 Likes

How was the guest able to review you if he is still staying and hasn’t canceled his reservation yet?