First low rating, should I respond

I would get someone with knowledge and have him have a look at your setup.
It is very easy to get this issue solved with some automated mixer valves or heat exchangers.
And it does not have to be expensive at all, all you need is a controller, a thermostat, a valve, and 1 or 2 temperature probes.

Having a manual system with guests is an unacceptable inconvenience, or even a potential hazard.

The pool company installed a thermostatically controlled solar control/sensor. It has temperature dial, any temperature, 80 for instance, and it will automatically turn off.

$500, but as indicated it is necessary.

Dave Kaiser

Crystal River, FL

www.airbnb.com/rooms/30706525

Chris

May 3

kaiserdr:
It was necessary to go our several times because they were here three days. Every time they get ready to go in the spa it is necessary to divert the water from the pool to the spa. With solar heat there is not any way to control the temperature. There is a temperature reading on the pool equipment, but on a sunny day the water temperature can go up as much as five degrees in 15 minutes–as this is all manual I had to ask they if the water was too hot and change the pool valves to inject pool water to cool down the spa.

They went in the spa six times, every afternoon and evening.

If it got too hot it would be like the lobster in the kettle, not realize it was too hot until they fainted.

I would get someone with knowledge and have him have a look at your setup.
It is very easy to get this issue solved with some automated mixer valves or heat exchangers.
And it does not have to be expensive at all, all you need is a controller, a thermostat, a valve, and 1 or 2 temperature probes.

Having a manual system with guests is an unacceptable inconvenience, or even a potential hazard.

1 Like

I follow with the rest that:

1. It seems less of a disparagement and more of an observation (for future guests).
  2. Don’t respond; just learn from it.

I have a similar situation, where my guest house is separate and while it has its own private areas, the pool is in full view of the main house. I detail that in the listing so that people are not surprised.

Once they are there, it’s all a matter of how much interaction is called for. I try to take my cues from the guests; there are some guests that just love to chat and want me to pull up a chair, while there are those that just like to be left alone. I typically go out (on the first day) to give them information (i.e. how to adjust the umbrellas, Bluetooth speaker, ask if they want the floats, etc). I ask them to reach out (message me) if they have any issues or needs.

I will typically go out once a day to checkup in person (and take my cues); I often combine this with an offer of homemade quacamole / chips, brownies, etc. It’s usually very welcome and vanquishes any perceived disturbance.

A recent guest described the balance in his review: “The home is meticulous, as was the hosts’ care for us on our stay: always helpful but never intrusive.”

As for 3 brothers and 1 son, my suspicions went along the lines of RR, but as they say: “what happens in Crystal River, stays in Crystal River”.

I will be right over for some quac! This was their first AirB experience. Only here for two nights and there really was not that much interaction. Thanks for your info. I will keep it in mind.

Dave Kaiser

Crystal River, FL

HH_AZ

May 4

I follow with the rest that:

1. It seems less of a disparagement and more of an observation (for future guests).
  2. Don’t respond; just learn from it.
    I have a similar situation, where my guest house is separate and while it has its own private areas, the pool is in full view of the main house. I detail that in the listing so that people are not surprised.

Once they are there, it’s all a matter of how much interaction is called for. I try to take my cues from the guests; there are some guests that just love to chat and want me to pull up a chair, while there are those that just like to be left alone. I typically go out (on the first day) to give them information (i.e. how to adjust the umbrellas, Bluetooth speaker, ask if they want the floats, etc). I ask them to reach out (message me) if they have any issues or needs.

I will typically go out once a day to checkup in person (and take my cues); I often combine this with an offer of homemade quacamole / chips, brownies, etc. It’s usually very welcome and vanquishes any perceived disturbance.

A recent guest described the balance in his review: “The home is meticulous, as was the hosts’ care for us on our stay: always helpful but never intrusive.”

RiverRockRetreat:

three brothers (in their 50s) and a teenage son.

So they say… Lol, they wanted privacy in the spa. Leave your nearly naked guests alone. You earned this I would ignore it and learn from it.

RR

three brothers (in their 50s) and a teenage son.

As for 3 brothers and 1 son, my suspicions went along the lines of RR, but as they say: “what happens in Crystal River, stays in Crystal River”.

1 Like

1 Like

OH thanks, now what am I going to do. I live in a small Florida town, the nearest place I can get guac is 50 miles away! My wife makes wonderful guac, but only gets here once a month, at best!

Perhaps if I get the ingredients I can get my wife to talk me through the recipe.

Looks great!

Dave Kaiser

Crystal River, FL

Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo; probably the biggest day for guacamole … I have to believe that even your local supermarket will have some avocados

This recipe is very simple. And the best!

After seeing yours not sure I can wait until tomorrow!

Dave Kaiser

Crystal River, FL

That recipe doesn’t have cilantro which I think is essential for a good guac. Lots of it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m already guilty of veering off topic with the Guacamole discussion and now you are just looking push me off the tangent cliff with the debate of Love or Hate Cilantro; Don’t hate me for being (along with ‘the barefoot contessa’ ) a member of the latter contingent.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2016/12/06/why-some-like-cilantro-and-others-hate-it/

2 Likes

That’s fascinating - thank you. I’m definitely a lover of cilantro. One thing I can’t seem to do though - and I’m veering off on another tangent here - is grow it. I don’t have a garden, so it would have to be grown in pots, and I can do fine with other herbs such as rosemary, basil, oregano etc. But every time I’ve bought a pot of cilantro, I’ve managed to kill it off in no time. Any advice gratefully received :wink:

1 Like

I’m in the “no cilantro” camp if making it to my own preference. I also use lime juice not lemon. Every Mexican I’ve ever seen make it makes it with lime juice. I don’t put that much garlic or use hot sauce. A little bit of fresh chopped jalapeno. Here on the border good guac is a fresh pico de gallo (with cilantro) mixed with avocados. One “secret” I’ve seen is a pinch (seriously, not much) baking soda added. It seems to make it creamier if you like it that way. I prefer the fresh fruit and vegtable look and taste myself.

2 Likes

I guess the only thing AirBnB hosts can do is “roll with the guests.” After this guest saying, not enough privacy, I was determined to be aloof with future guests.

Due to May being a slow month, I changed my listing to allow one-night stays with same day notifications. This morningat 11 a.m. I received a message saying two guests wanted to check in at 1 p.m.

The apartment was all ready, so I said, sure. A couple in their 30s, left their luggage and went to tour the town. They returned at 4 p.m.

At 5 p.m., the husband rang the front doorbell and when I answered, handed me a plate of with a huge pork chop, baked sweet potatoes and home-made cabbage coleslaw.

I texted them to say thanks.

A few minutes after I sent my text, I received another text from them inviting me tomorrow morning to have breakfast with eggs, potatoes and sausage biscuits.

After this guest, I am going to have to go on a diet and start walking.

4 Likes

How so very nice of them!!! You really just take clue’s from your guests whether they want to visit or just be on their way. And some times you get mixed signals, they are super talkative one day and aloof the next.

You are right, sometimes even the couples are mixed up, one talkative, the other not.

Dave Kaiser

Crystal River, FL

1 Like

My first thought, too. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

What! No Guacamole? :wink:

As I said above, you feel them out (but not in the spa) and take your cues from them. I’d guess a pork chop is a key indicator.

My experience is that the younger the guest, the more privacy; older + long time married couples typically want conversation.

1 Like