First Lesson Learned as a New Host

I agree! Prepare the place ASAP . I’ve learned the hard way when a guest has Instant Booked and I was miles away. Luckily my husband was able to tidy up etc.

I’ve learned that favors for friends are not beneficial. One of my first guests was a friends sister. I gave her a discount, and…surprise! My only four-star review in 60 stays. Thanks for nothing. Also, that personal guests are the messiest. The only people who have ruined a towel were friends.

1 Like

I always say yes to a discount request - then reduce the price by £1. Everyone who’s asked has been happy with that!

2 Likes

oh absolutely, ditto! I really don’t think my nightly fee is worth the heart ache!

3 Likes

Agreed with above. I only started 2 months ago and before my first booking, I got 4 inquiries total, 3 of them asked for discount. They must know I’m desperate to have a booking. I did give a 10% off but none took me on that, maybe there were expecting more or got a better offer elsewhere, who knows. None of the people who inquired booked my place! Of the 8 bookings I got since then, none of them made any inquiries before the booking, since everything is explained in the listing. I now see a red flag whenever someone asks for a discount.

The likelihood of my cell phone being dead increases dramatically when a guest can’t find the place, can’t get in or has a significant utility issue.