First guest I CAN'T STAND IN MY HOME!

I had someone like your guest in May. From the moment he arrived he was on my case. It got ugly. Very ugly.

To Kona’s point, your peace of mind (and in my case, my health) is it. Call Air, advise them of your intentions, ask them to find him another place, call a burly friend or two over, hand him the Airbnb CS number, and ask him to leave within the hour.

2 Likes

Food for thought:

1. Known fact-house on market
  2. Potential for sales offer contingent upon fast closing date.
  3. Thank him profusely for his rental to date BUT you would hate to leave him without a place to stay if you get a favorable offer with a quick closing.
  4. You’ve decided to be fair to guests you will not accept any rentals for more than 7 days.
  5. Since he needs stability, he should find another lodging.
5 Likes

I wouldn’t lie about it.

Just tell him that you don’t think you are a good fit for an extended obligation. Smile. Be friendly. But stand your ground. You don’t have to be mad at him. If he presses you just be truthful… two years experience, just don’t feel you can keep up the facade with a single guest for so long. Nothing personal, thanks for your interest!

4 Likes

Hardly confrontational,
I’ve only listed a few of his annoyances. In my listing I clearly state that I provide breakfast… Toast, different cereal, yogurts, fresh fruit & juice. I also say that if someone has any dietary requirements, let me know in advance & I will do my best to provide an alternative. This guest asked for the cost of breakfast to be deducted from his stay AND asked for a discount on his stay.
It’s just one thing after another.
I also find your comment on me ‘bingeing’ on cake a little rude… I hardly went the whole hog & ate the whole cake… I merely pointed out that I managed to escape to my kitchen to enjoy a large slice (not whole cake) of non gluten free cake that I knew he couldn’t eat. Childish? Yes a little but I’d had him in my kitchen for an hour pecking my head!
And another thing… On his profile it says he’s from the USA with 0 reviews. I queried where he was from as he’s clearly from the UK & he said he doesn’t know why it says that. Why no reviews if he’s had such a wonderful long stay with another host?
Oh my head hurts… I’m over-thinking things now!
Back to cake…

7 Likes

I got what you meant about the cake. :birthday::birthday: And i can also feel your frustration from behind the screen! I wouldn’t blame you if you ate the whole cake. I would do the same if I had a guest driving me that nuts.

Let the countdown begin. You will be rid of him soon!

I think you could have spotted a few red flags with this guy… just the breakfast deduction and the discount seeking, for starters…

Live and learn! Enjoy the cake!

3 Likes

Why am I thinking about cake all the time?!
You’re right… I’m going to decline his long booking. I’m doing this for the money… Aren’t we all… But I know already we don’t fit & it’ll only get worse… And him more annoying I’m sure!
Best to nip this one in the bud & move on.
Thanks for your helpful words, you deserve my cake! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Now funny you should say that…!

Tell him that you have to have the house fumigated for termites and bed bugs that are largely in his suite.:sunglasses: Seriously though there must be something you can come up with…maybe some unanticipated plumbing work? Of course you would have to block off those days on your calendar in case he searches your availability, but who cares! Nothing worse than feeling like a guest in your own home! Let us know how it works out!

1 Like

This is a great idea, because it’s totally true!

1 Like

Now I want some cake. Thank you, guys!:smiley:
I wonder whether he’s the type of guest who becomes meek and nice once he’s confronted. Maybe it was worth trying. I had guests who changed from a-holes to almost invisible guests after being put in their place. But then again, you know the best what you feel comfortable with and what kind of guy he is.

2 Likes

I totally agree. Lying digs a hole we can’t climb out of. I’d say exactly what drop said. And smile politely!

3 Likes

when people ask for a discount:

7 Likes

Now that made me laugh… If I wasn’t busy bingeing on cake I’d have tried to find one of those!

1 Like

“I’m Gonna Git You Sucka” from 1988 featuring a young Chris Rock. 20 years later and it’s still very funny!

2 Likes

I had to go get a bon bon after reading this!!

1 Like

<----ate a carrot cake on Tuesday. Eat your heart out.

I hate having obnoxious people on the property! I was thinking while I was reading your post, @Meander, of the recent guest who asked a million personal questions (most of which I fended off, to the point of repeating myself:“Why do you ask?”), asked for constant extras (a CD player, beach chairs, additional cable stations), and complained bitterly about the quality of the water coming out of the tap. Of course he was the guy who found the palmetto bug, which must have gotten in when he had the door propped open (and the a/c running full blast).

On his last day, I was counting down the hours and looking forward to hear him driving away. He asked to extend his stay (and the nights were free on the calendar) but I said no. No explanation, just “sorry, no.”

He left, and I did the happy dance. He left the place pretty dirty, as I expected. 1/2 hour later, my dogs went crazy barking. He was back! “Forgot something.” Creepy. I wouldn’t let him in, and went right to the platform to communicate. Ha! he left his iPad. I handed it to him out on the sidewalk.

He told me during the stay that he never leaves reviews, and luckily he didn’t. I was relieved. I did review him, however. Thumbs down.

8 Likes

Thank you!..

3 Likes

Don’t stress yourself too much about what reason.to give him.
Who is he to you?. He will.forget about you as soon.as he leaves and you will do the same.
I have it coming too. But in my case it’s my longer term.Guests of 9 and 8 months. I need a change of scenery plus have a thought or two how to rearrange my whole business and need house empty. After all its our houses and we dictate rules. I think family coming is good excuse.

1 Like

OH NO!!! A dreaded Palmetto bug. My Canadian guests called the Palmetto bugs monsters. My current guests just told the pest control service to come back tomorrow after they’ve left!!! It’s an HOA provided service. Now I must call the HOA and request a return trip which will be billed to me. Argggggg.