First Airbnb guest. Wanted to renew by cash, we said airbnb only please. What if he doesn't leave?

How long of a stay requires a deposit from you?

You’re lucky you’ve got some guests that you feel comfortable doing that with.

If a person has leased from us a year and hasn’t done anything sketchy- like our current airbnb tenant has- accepting cash is probably easy enough for most people. There are a few of my first tenants short-term I was comfortable accepting cash from and it worked fine-- this tenant isn’t one I’m comfortable doing that with. Those were roommate tenants I shared a home with-- signed lease though requiring signed and sealed receipts for cash payments from me, with a receipt from them. My roommate leases all have clauses that help protect me from rotten apples who try to chase away other roommates or keep the place filthy. I used to prefer not signing long term leases- short term month to month with my lease gives me an easy way out at my will. I’ve had a lot less complaints from tenants with no long term 1-2 year lease upfront who were 30 day or 60 day out leases knowing their living there was contingent on me willing to renew their monthly at will lease.

I’ll have to look into daily or weekly “leases” in my city. If it’s easy to “evict” someone in one day for hotel type bed and breakfasts, I would consider it and be more casual about it.

No cash policy protects us with written leases too- the person can’t say “sure I paid… with cash” with eviction notice through the courts. They can’t claim they paid cash on the side if the policy is no cash. They have checks- we get that proof and so do they. No cash also means we can’t don’t accept partial payments-- if a standard tenant writes a check for partial amount, it gets stamped “DENIED” and returned to them with delivery confirmation and notice. Cash would be harder to return to them. We also don’t accept move in checks day of- we give ourselves enough time to clear the payment. We also have visa/mastercard payments through a rental site for those with signed leases (and receipts for income tax to go with it). Cash is messier to self-report with our income taxes- a formal rental payment site lists everything with 3rd party income received verification

Gut instinct really was off. I’m lucky it didn’t end up worse, so at least there’s not.

I’ll have to contact airbnb. I don’t particularly care if he gets fined for the night, but I can’t in good faith leave him a good review for trying to game the airbnb system and overstaying.

Surely he knew you can’t pay for previous dates through airbnb, and he’s too insistent trying to ‘force’ us to go around airbnb with cash. This happened with him upon initial booking - his card was denied when we accepted the booking, and he didn’t fix it right away so the reservation expired after a good 24+ hours. Any respectable guest would’ve fixed their credit card issue- or used another credit card/paypal/something and paid for their reservation upfront. We should’ve known that. He had asked us the address, knowing his payment didn’t go through. We wouldn’t tell him the address before confirmed book, so he put in another request and payment was approved. He knew that would use only airbnb for payment and overstayed without reservation. He told us he hadn’t put in a new reservation because of a credit card problem— complaining we wouldn’t take cash. Upon pushing him, he said he had enough on his credit card limit to purchase a few more nights. So, he rebooked for the night after that pushing. He should’ve done that in the first place if he had enough of a credit card limit.

He really was sketchy, and “too nice” all along and asking for the address initially before a confirmed/paid reservation. I think it was that he was so nice we would just say “sure, stay a a while.”

His previous reservation in our city was also a new time AirBnb who had few reviews. I wonder if he pulled the same garbage with that person. He seems to seek out new airbnb hosts. He said he’s had to keep moving around here (he’s been in our city a few weeks), but only one other host reviewed hm.

If he hadn’t had all the initial card card problems, then overstaying unpaid without reservation, etc. I might have considered accepting cash if we had receipts at the bank (we want a paper trial for waivers and for court in case an eviction is needed) and a signed notarized written lease with liability waiver like our standard leases/tenants require.

Housing on airbnb is rather limited in my city. There are plenty of options on craigslist, many of which allow cash, no signed lease, and short-term daily/weekly rentals. There’s also a few reasonably priced long-term stay hotels (not as cheap as our rental, but still decent). They take cash, so long as you have a credit card on file for damages.

Lesson learned. If we airbnb again, no guests new to airbnb or ones who have only one other review. We might even put “Rental exclusively through Airbnb” or something to the effect.

Right. You didn’t say whether he was a newbie or no reviews yet… so yes… That’s sometimes (but not always) a concern. The CC decline at the outset could have been a red flag… but again… it happens, and he made it right… so I can see why you continued with his reservation. I would have!

Probably he was being TOO nice, which as you said could be used against you in the end… and he may have been sucking up in order to push his check out. Maybe his CCs were getting declined and that is why he wanted to do cash?

May I ask why you are so cheap? The reason is almost painfully obvious. Ultra cheap attracts the riff raff. Premium pricing will attract those who, in theory, but not always, will respect you.

Try raising your rates to attract a better class of guest?

He had one previous review and was new to airbnb.

But, he told us he had been moving around during his few week stay here, so he should’ve had more than one review by now.

We’ll go with guests who aren’t so new or only have one review. I gave him the benefit of the doubt since we’re new to airbnb. Not again. I’ll have to try to find a way to reassure tenant’s we’ve had plenty of happy tenants elsewhere outside of airbnb. I’ll also bump the pricing and describe the listing. Perhaps I should set the nightly rate much more- and give a substantial long-term discount to make long-term stays equivalent to normal lease/rent rates around here for a room outside of airbnb.

He didn’t fix the credit card problem the first booking in over 24 hours so the booking expired and airbnb cancelled the booking. During this time he asked for our address knowing his credit card payment failed-- before his payment went through. We didn’t give the address, as airbnb gives the address upon confirmed paid booking. He hadn’t successfully paid through airbnb so they cancelled the first reservation, and he had to put in another reservation. He then put in another booking request a few days later, and that went through-- that successfully paid reservation gave him the address through airbnb.

He apparently has one credit card with a limit too low to book a cheap room. Who goes to a foreign country with ONE credit card, let alone ONE credit card with too low a limit to book a month at an affordable place to live? I looked at prepaid visa/mastercard cards at a gas station… they’re a few dollars and you can add $1000 in cash, no ID or questions asked and instantly use that mastercard/visa anywhere- online, in stores, whatever. I didn’t realize how easy it is to get a prepaid card with cash and instantly use it. His “I only have cash” and one low-limit credit card issue is something he could easily fix in a few minutes at a gas station if he really has the cash. I’m wondering if he simply doesn’t have much cash and that’s why he has too low a credit card limit that he somehow can’t pay off/raise the limit of or get a visa/mastercard prepaid gift card for a few dollars. Either way, it’s really not my problem as a host- it’s his. I’ll have to keep that in mind for future rentals, and not approve users who have failed payments on their first reservation request (unless they have many airbnb reviews and it’s just a foreign credit card verification problem, perhaps).

When I travel abroad, I expect some fees- like currency exchange fees-- as part of the trip. I looked at his airbnb fees he’s paying for our room, and it’s not like they’re hundreds of dollars in airbnb fees for a month-- it’s a negligible amount, less than a decent dinner in a restaurant with a cheap beer or two. A prepaid visa/mastercard gift card at a gas station has fees of about $5-10-- no ID or anything needed, and you can load it with cash instantly and use on airbnb. That’s not hundreds of dollars in fees, so his “I want to save money with cash” isn’t as good of a reason as it sounded to me at first.

I think he was sucking up for sure. If he has cash, he could’ve easily gotten a visa/mastercard gift card no ID needed at a gas station and fixed his initial failed booking reservation through airbnb in less than 24 hours. I figured at that point it was that his credit card was denied because it was out of country— but he says it’s a bank card limit issue.

It could be he wants cash because his credit card has too low a limit, or wants to avoid airbnb fees, instead of a long-term con where he wants to just go outside of airbnb to become a squatter more easily and long-term get state’s tenants rights. Why would someone go to another country with ONE credit card he knows has too low a credit limit, and then having had problems with it not try to find a solution before they have nowhere (paid) to stay? He’s also had well over a week to figure this out (really weeks, as he previously stayed elsewhere in our city) and get his credit card or prepaid gift card situation resolved. He could have gotten a prepaid visa gift card no ID needed at the gas station to use, or up his credit limit or pay off his credit card in a week, or found some solution. Or alternative housing that happily takes cash. There are prepaid visa gift cards at any gas station or store, he could buy one of those with cash then book with airbnb that way. If he knows his credit cards don’t have a high limit and he isn’t willing to buy prepaid visa gift cards to use an online site, he really shouldn’t be using airbnb, and should do hotels or craigslist that allows cash option. There really were red flags here, I just ignored most of them trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

We really should bump our pricing up. That easily could be why our first guest is “riff raff” here. Good point.

It’s cheap because we cater to long term, not 1-2 night stays. Most of our tenants have always been long-term written leases, not airbnb or similar short-term rental sites. We don’t want it to become crazy costly for someone to stay a few weeks since that’s what we usually go for. There’s a few similar rentals in the immediate area, like the one he stayed at, that are about 25% more. Many properties cater to 1-3 night stays, and are twice (or more) our rates. Those are newer properties and cater to 1-3 day guests, another reason we chose affordable. I also don’t want someone paying premium rates and expecting premium service with full maid service, shampoo samples, granite countertops everywhere in bathrooms, designer furniture, and over the top everything. I don’t want overly “premium” expectations, and cater to middle class young tenants new to the area or visiting a few weeks. We’ve always had quality tenants that way, never had complaints and they always appreciated the value and short-term and long-term lease options.

I’m fully missing the issue with taking cash for extra nights :grinning:

If the choice is Cash or no payment, How is this even a convo? If you are this concerned call Air and have him booted ASAP.

Also, if you don’t want short term 1-2 night, change you min night on Air, simple.

1 Like

Our minimum stay IS already more than 1-2 nights. Our price is cheap-- that’s why we don’t allow 1-2 nights and adjust the price to make it more reasonable for long-term guests who stay weeks/months.

How is this a convo? Um, the guest stayed past their reservation with NO payment of any form-- until sternly confronted and repoted to Airbnb. Plus, airbnb insurance and protections (reviews, etc.) are voided if you accept cash. Also, we told this guest NO CASH, airbnb ONLY more than once-- they chose to not respect our policies, and stayed past their booking without any form of payment (until confronted and reported). Asking to extend a stay in cash outside of airbnb a con that at least several Airbnb guests have run if you watch the news. Airbnb guest books through airbnb, wants to say, pays host in cash— then stops paying and host loses all airbnb insurance, has an unpaying squatter with no written lease, etc. The only recourse for foreign guests with local leases is eviction, and they could easily try to drag out eviction their entire stay here. I could take them to court, but their bank account is foreign (writ of attachment for money lost in local USA court wouldn’t do much good), their credit report in their home country isn’t affected, they go back to their home country unphased.

See above. Guest rebooked the night he didn’t pay for through airbnb, credit card payment went through, and I also reported through airbnb the overstay.

And, yes, I could choose to go off the site and allow cash with receipt and written lease like I mentioned above-- but I don’t accept cash for reasons I’ve stated above, and certainly not for a guest who purposely stayed past their booking without prior payment of any variety.

Reasons I don’t take cash again are: I want 3rd party receipts (i.e, airbnb receipts) for payments to make our income taxes easier. Self-reporting cash is not nearly as bulletproof as having “no cash” policy for the reasons I’ve mentioned above-- 1) receipts for tenants who stop paying and I have to evict (they can’t claim to have paid in cash in court eviction… no receipt of check or airbnb receipt = no stay, and 2) income tax reporting (no paper trail) and of course 3) lose all airbnb protections (insurance, reviews, etc.) Also, because I chose to use Airbnb-- so did this guest-- knowing that it’s NO CASH, airbnb site only with credit card. :smiley:

My choices aren’t cash or no payment long-term-- it’s book through airbnb, or I call the cops (and airbnb) since it’s a stay under 30 days (no tenant’s rights under 30 days) and you’re out immediately and I only lost one night’s fee but get a seemingly scam artist who overstays what they’ve paid for out of my hair/house. Airbnb insurance still covers me if the guest overstays, plus airbnb now fines airbnb guests who stay past their reservation, and other protections from Airbnb still cover— me until the SECOND I accept cash. For guest overstays, Airbnb then tries to collect the money from the guest, and charges them the fee for overstaying their stay. If guest doesn’t make right, they get banned from airbnb (no new account since they have ID verified). If I allow a guest to stay who refuses to book through their chosen site (airbnb), I open myself up to all sorts of potential trouble worth more than one night’s fees (no prior written lease, no airbnb insurance/protections/guest review ability), and no written lease with paper trial to properly evict and limit my liability for insurance/fake injury claims.