First Air no-show

Hello,
I’ve been hosting in Indianapolis now for 7 months. It’s been amazing! No huge challenges!
That being said:
Has anyone had a guest not show up or cancel their booking? It’s so bizarre to me. My check-in time is 3p-7pm. Since I live on the other side of the house and was home, I waited and expected to hear the guest come in at anytime. I didn’t hear him by 7pm. Since he only booked for 1 person, I thought maybe he was being extra quiet. The next day I went over and knocked on his door, there was no answer. Maybe he’s sleeping late. I thought I should leave him alone. I went on to church and came back to clean the space. The place hadn’t been slept in at all. First I messaged him, “hey there, wanted to make sure you got in alright and that you slept comfortably.” No response. I called air and reported this seemingly strange activity. Air told me that they “could not discuss the guests’ accounts.” The rep also said, “if he calls us, we will ask him to reach out to you.” LoL. This told me that he never called them either. So strange!

Yes, we’ve had two no-shows. But we eventually heard from them. In both cases, it had to do with weather delays that affected their flights.

I have had a couple now shows, guest leaving a day early and one guest who arrived at 9PM and left at midnight. I don’t even ask, EZ money

RR

8 Likes

Well it couldn’t be the weather because it’s been sunny and mild here till today, a little bit of snow but nothing big. I just hope that my guest is OK. He said he was coming into town for his brothers wedding. I was thinking maybe he found a place closer to the wedding venue.

Yeah, I probably get a little too concerned about people.

2 Likes

It happens. Keep the money and treat yourself to something nice.

9 Likes

I have had two no-shows in about 300 stays. It isn’t super common but does happen.

One guest booked a week-long stay, and forgot he had two accounts and couldn’t find his reservation and was receiving my messages but couldn’t reply (?). I called him directly when I he didn’t respond to my messages, but he’d already checked in to another BnB. Of course Airbnb begged me to refund him. I told them only if I got another booking. I eventually did, and Air comped me for the unbooked nights. It was Air’s fault they allow guests to have multiple accounts.

The other was a one-night booking in the winter. The guest asked for special bedding, then hemmed and hawed all day about staying, and decided not to come. She didn’t ask for a refund, but wanted to move her booking to the spring. She complained it was $50 more a night in spring. I explained my rates are seasonal. I told her we should discuss it when the dates got closer and her plans were firmed up. I never heard from her about rebooking, but after messaging with her all day I was planning to block the calendar on the new date and wanted. Not sure if this counts as a no-show since she communicated with me… excessively.

3 Likes

I’ve had many. They are my favourite guests!

3 Likes

I’ve had a few. Like you I tend to somewhat worry about the guest if they don’t show. Many are driving in and I’m always afraid they were in an accident or had car trouble. I also wonder if there was a misunderstanding and they have the wrong day and are going to show up and try to get in, disturbing my next guest or something. On the bright side the money for nothing is great.

I used to occasionally refund no shows but now if they can’t be bothered to communicate with me I don’t.

1 Like

I do have couple of that. Some would request the money, many of them not bother to text or communicate.

Yes most of us have had both. No big deal. Just move on and don’t worry about it. :slight_smile:

Me too :rofl:
I had a couple - but couldn’t really complain about them.