Fire pits, security cameras, and guardian angels

Oh yeah…get a load of this…

[Link removed by admin].

Resolution center request successful. Pictures and video were what was needed.

5 Likes

Brilliant. Well done!

1 Like

Thanks for coming back with the update! And for taking the time to share the story and video.

1 Like

Wow. Just wow. We live in the desert. Guests and fire often frighten us.

1 Like

I don’t trust the guest with fire. I don’t offer anything that can be lit beside the stove. I took out all the candles after I found a burned towel after some guests left. Burned in the center, with a huge hole in it. What they did, it escapes me. This was a group who came for a wedding and left a mess behind. The burned towel made me buy a second fire extinguisher and put smoke alarms in every bedroom, hallway and basement.

Initially, when I listed the house with airbnb I was thinking about a grill, but people are idiots. I had battery operated candles in one bedroom that one guest tried to light up with a lighter!

We can’t under-estimate the stupidity of people. There are many responsible travelers out there, but once in a blue moon, I get an utterly brain dead one that it’s just not worth risking it all for.

I don;t care if I turn off customers. Better with the house than with ashes! If they inquire about the grill I tell them there is a nearby park with built in grills where they can do whatever they want.

When I was a new host I had candles all over for ambiance. Then a guest left one going all night outside and admitted later a cancle dripped and burned a hole in the tablecloth.

I had two schoolteachers leave my BBQ unattended and almost had a fire, and set off the smoke alarm in the apartment three times during their ten day stay. I later removed the stove permanently from the room and now have a cooktop. I still allow grilling, but give guests a good talking to about not leaving it unattended when they arrive.

1 Like

I recently came home after an eight hour work day to find my stove had been left on all day with the electric burner glowing bright red. Luckily my pets weren’t injured and nothing caught fire. When I asked the guest if she used the stove she told me she tried and couldn’t figure it out so she went back to bed. It’s shocking how often things like this happen. I’m very happy with my security cameras outside the home.

this is why I state that I welcome short stays ONLY. The longer they stay, the cozier they get, the more damage they do and they get ideas like cooking. short stay people are more likely to eat out and just bring leftover home and reheat in the microwave.
Another reason I don’t like long stays is that if it’s more that 30 days and you tell that person to leave, according to the PA law - at least - you can’t. He is treated like a regular tenant and you as a landlord have to go through all the stages of evicting a tenant. Long and tedious process, which is why I am doing airbnb instead of renting yearly or month to month. Been there, done that, renters ripped my house apart. When people inquire about long terms i decline saying that the room is unavailable, i have future guests etc, which is true 99% of the time. Only twice I accepted stays over a month, for very nice people doing internships. Very, very nice people, for a change.

Lucky you. I don’t get guests period. I used to when I first started with Airbnb but now its like I don’t exist. My reviews are splendid so the only excuse I see is that my place is not advertised.

So why aren’t you advertising? Sorry, I don’t get it.

Nor do I get it. My ad is there but its not showing up for potential clients. I am told to remove it and re-put it up but if I do that I loose all my recommendations. So against the wall. We don’t know what to do. It is unfair if Airbnb takes away all my recommendations.

Sorry, I’m not understanding you. Where are you advertising?

I offer my guest room, which has twin beds.

I had a guest turn on the stove in the morning and leave it on all day…it is the glass top ones where it glows orange (intermittently) while it is on. I have a Sense Energy Monitor installed in my service panel and it eventually alerted me and when i looked at the day i could see the whole time it had been on. I went over and turned it off first chance I could get because the guest was already gone for the day and likely wouldn’t be back for 8-10 hours. I was mad about it for the safety aspect (couldn’t he see the empty stove glowing off and on while he was still there? he had been there several hours while it was still on) and for the cost but cost wise it turns out it wasn’t too much, single digit dollars if i remember correctly.

I think she meant “advertising” it on Airbnb. Maybe @lordhunt will be back to update us on how it went…or maybe we know because they haven’t been back…

1 Like

Last I heard she has been removed from Airbnb.

Oh, what a shame! I seem to remember her being quite active here in the past.