Finally went off-line with FlipKey and TravelAdvisor after 3 weeks of being bullied!

WHAT!!! They are totally NUTS!!! I will never ever take another reservation with this crazy company ever again.

1 Like

UN-FREEKING-believable!!! Are you telling us that they farming out their sales efforts to random people off the street??? People who then want you to fork over part of your profits to THEM??
Who ARE these guys?

1 Like

And would they somehow ā€œchargeā€ you for it on a credit card, as per the new TOS Billy Bob said he was forced to sign? God I would get rid of all your reservations on FlopKey, ASAP. If you have the contact phone numbers for the confirmed reservations, call them individually and say you are canceling on the FK site and that they can re-book with you on Air. Very alarming behavior oin the part of the so-called, widely trusted ā€œTrip Advisor,ā€ which so many naive travelers think offers more ā€œtrustedā€ booking experiences than Air.

What a nightmare!

Reeny, is it possible that this is a scam? It sounds so off-baseā€¦ maybe itā€™s Nigerians trolling VRBO for phone numbers? You think the guy was really representing FK? Sorry about the donut. :slight_smile: A call from the UK is so damn weird and seems really OFF.

LOLā€¦ donā€™t you love the way they adopt Western names when their accents are so strong you can hardly understand them?! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Actually I have no reservations from FlipKey and I have gone off line with my listing so their threats in that regard are meaningless to me. I am worried that since they have my financial information they may try to get if from my account or something like that but I think that is stepping way over the line.

I am looking forward to the referral to their attorney since I think if they review the site and the cancellation policy they will agree that I have no obligation to return the funds though they will probably try to intimidate me. Actually in a very perverse way I am waiting to see if they actually follow through on their threats since it is so absurd. Good ole Fabio actually misspelled Flip Key in the closing statement.

1 Like

Hi Reeny,
I received a supposed FlipKey call from some man with a foreign accent offering me some kind of services and I told him I didnā€™t need any services. He then proceeded to call me three and four times a day. I looked up the number on the internet and there where a number of complaints lodged against this number from FlipKey hosts asking how did this person get their phone numbers so this is a REAL issue that Travel Advisor and FK need to deal with.

1 Like

Reeny,

What a waste of a perfectly good donut! Iā€™m not following this guy who called you. Is your listing displayed on Flopkey? Or was he trying to get your account set up by using his email address?

2 Likes

Please keep us postedā€¦ this will be amusing to watch, as long as you are not in any danger of losing anything financially. I noticed FK never asked for my social security number and as far as I know as never reported me to the IRS. Wow, thanks for the heads up from all of you hereā€¦ I might have been tempted to use them again!!!

The last guest they sent me in the summer (who walked off the property with 10 days on his reservation) was yelling and screaming at me about how much he had paid, and he was partially right. Now I have realized that they had charged him up front and full for the security deposit. That alone is such bad business!

1 Like

You could be right, but, they did see that Iā€™d filled out the form and they said they were calling on behalf of Expedia. A few days earlier, Iā€™d received an email from Expedia to the effect that they were taking on private rental properties, although they didnā€™t specifically say through Flipkey. I do think itā€™s them since the most important thing this man wanted was for me to list it under a certain email address, not a credit card number or anything else. But hey, what do I know? Maybe there is something fishier going on.

No, he wanted me to change the email address that I had input as a contact email address. He said, ā€˜could you redo the application and use another email address?ā€™ And then I asked why. I said, ā€˜Hey, I just did the form myself so I donā€™t understand why youā€™re even calling me. I can sign up on my own.ā€™ Thatā€™s when he admitted that he would get a commission if I redid the form under a unique email address of mine. I get the feeling that the unique email address would be his proof that heā€™d signed me up. As it was, Iā€™d beat him to it by filling out the form and submitting it while he was busy BSing me with all sorts of fawning talk.

And thank you for your condolences re: the donut. :smile:

1 Like

So is it genuine? Or is it a scam? I felt that I was speaking to a man working under boiler room conditions. He was trying very hard to get people to sign up in a certain way so that he could get a commission. He said he was from Expedia which owns (or operates) TripAdvisor.

I know, but I did wonder if they were actually re-routing the call through the UK to make it seem more likely. The man had an Indian accent, said he was in Scotland and had a couple right there who wanted to book me for their trip to Montreal. Thatā€™s when I fell.

1 Like

Reeny - I think it was very much a scam since he kept saying he could increase my bookings and manage my property and I told him that is what FlipKey is supposed to do through their on-line platform so why would I need him and how can he be from FlipKey if he is offering the same service. Yeah when I reported it to good old Fabio who then in the next email threatened me, he said they would look into it since I had the phone number.

1 Like

OK. hereā€™s what I donā€™t understandā€¦ This made news recentlyā€¦ But itā€™s stating that Expedia had bought Homeaway? Which has nothing to do with FlopKey? Very weird!!!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/expedia-to-buy-vacation-rental-site-homeaway-for-3-9-billion-1446672445

Very bizarre, all of this!!! Maybe itā€™s a scam and not really FK!!!

1 Like

This is the same thing I experienced with Wimduā€¦ although Wimdu is based in Germanyā€¦ and these (American) guys openly admitted they got my stuff from Air. And even openly jacked a few of my Air photos! In the end, I turned out to like Wimdu. But that was how I was initially recruited to Wimdu.

Where did they get your phone number? Are you also on VRBO? VRBO openly lists phone numbers! I always wondered about that!

I didnā€™t originally have mine listed. Then, I kept getting emails saying I would get more bookings if it were listed, so I reluctantly put it up. I didnā€™t get any more inquiries, but did get these calls. Iā€™m very careful with my number. It doesnā€™t go out to just anyone. I really didnā€™t want to list it, but I was paying for VRBO and getting few bookings with them, so I did it.

They must have gotten it from VRBO since I am listed there and get 60% of my bookings from them. I know it is not listed on FlopKey and of course not Air so it has to be them.

1 Like