Finally listed my new room!

I have two bedrooms on Airbnb, the master suite and the second bedroom. Unfortunately they have a shared wall. I hung gigantic rugs on both walls, hoping to cut down on noise. Americans often keep the TV on for hours, and Europeans are sometimes bothered by that.

Both of my listing say that there is another room also on Air, so they do know that there might or will be someone else there, but not who.

Yes, TV in every room. My room is off the living room. I work at home and go to bed early, I don’t need people in the living room, day or evening. Each of my rental rooms has a dorm fridge, microwave, toaster, and coffee maker. Many of my guests never come out to the common area, unless they have something in the freezer of the kitchen fridge.

I do think people would be glad to know there won’t be a shared wall, and thus no noise from neighboring guests.

1 Like

Well, they are, aren’t they? Otherwise why put it out?

Let’s say I put out three kinds of bread, 3 flavored oatmeal packets, two kinds of fruit, several kinds of natural and artificial sweeteners, and four kinds of spreads for the bread. I do this because I don’t know what the guest likes. If I have more than one room rented out I might have 4 different guests with different preferences. I don’t put it out so one guest can come eat a muffin, a bagel, put two oatmeal packets, a package of cream cheese, a handful of sugar packets, and a banana in their pocket and make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch.

Now, if I added $20 a night to my price an offered breakfast it would be a different matter. My room at an average of $36 for a master (ensuite) suite with private entrance doesn’t list breakfast as an amenity.

This is probably a naive question, and I hope you don’t mind me asking, but how can you see that someone gave her three stars? I didn’t know you could see specifically how many stars you got for a certain category (especially not overall) unless you were logged in and looking at your own stats. Do you mind telling me how you can see it? Thanks!!

Hi @londonflat,

No mystery. At the time I wrote that review and until recently, if you clicked on the stars at the top of the review list, there was a dropdown which showed roughly the proportion of different stars a listing has received in the form of yellow bars, each corresponding to one of 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 stars. In the case of Chloe’s listing, I noticed that the 3 star “bar” (or category) was nonempty.

This is currently not there. No doubt Airbnb messing with their code as usual.

Thanks so much! REALLY interesting.

I try to keep really close track of how many stars I get in each category from each guest. If I fall below 5 stars in a category (other than value or location) I follow up with the guest and see if there was something I could have done better. (Especially since I have a cleaning lady, and if I get less than 5 stars for cleaning, that’s really not good.)

But lately I have found that it seems to be glitchy even behind the scenes on your stats page… For example, I recently checked and saw that my last 5 ratings for x category was 5 stars. And then the next person left a review and it just said that my last review for that category was 5 stars… But I don’t remember the in-between one!

OK, I see what you’re saying. But I also wouldn’t be surprised if one person ate all that over a couple of days. Except for the four kinds of spreads :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately Airbnb’s rules and methods are poorly documented. And possibly also buggy. I can’t remember whether that ‘last x reviews were 5 stars’ message is for the reviews in order of stay, or order of arrival. And of course Airbnb does not tell the user.

I’ll be listing a new room in 6 weeks. Can’t wait to see how it goes. Not too bothered if I can’t keep up my 90%+ occupancy. But it will be some extra income. :slight_smile: