Filtering vs boiling water

Hi @felixcat,

I’ve been looking for combination filters on Amazon India, but have had difficulty finding anything that generally gets good reviews. Most of these producs get very mixed reviews. Do you have any specific models to suggest, whether on Amazon or elsewhere?

Philips water filter HD 3902

1 Like

Boiling water can help with bacteria, but it does nothing for harmful heavy metals like lead.
Reverse osmosis is probably the best form of filtration for homes. It will filter pretty much everything from your water. However, it won’t remove bacteria, For that you can add a UV sterilization lamp.
The flaw with a reverse osmosis system is that it will only filter the water at one faucet point. If you need to filter bathing water too, then a whole house system is needed. UV lamps are available for these too.
I’d avoid water filter pitchers as they aren’t particularly effective.

Hi Folks,

I was just about to ask a question about water purification (not filtering) vs boiling on this site, but then did a search and discovered this question, which I didn’t remember asking.

So instead of opening a very similar thread about water purification I decided to just post to this one instead.

I’m currently looking at Amazon for water purifiers. It’s hard to make a choice, because most of them get very mixed reviews and there is a lot of noise. I think Indians are much more likely to write reviews when they have something to complain about. Of course, everyone does this, but Indians seem more likely to do so. While it’s understandable, it doesn’t help when you are trying to choose a consumer product to have a uniform chorus of “worst thing ever” for basically every product available. Also, a lot of these reviews are probably fake, which doesn’t help. Both Amazon and Flipkart does mark which reviews were written by actual purchasers, which is better than nothing, but they don’t go out of their way to make it easy for you to select them.

I was thinking something like

This is one in a line of similar products. There isn’t much about these on the net, but at least nobody seems to have bad things to say about them. The manufacturers, unusually, also have a site with technical details about the filters - e.g. http://carriermideaindia.com/MWPRU080CL7.aspx

However, they write

Replaceable Tank
Changing your purifier’s storage tank every 3 to 5 years is extremely important to avoid risk of bacterial build up. One of the biggest advantages of having a Midea water purifier is its unique replaceable water tank no other water purifier available in the market has.

I’m not following the logic here. Why is it necessary to replace the tank? I realise it’s necessary to clean it periodically, but why does one need to do more than that?

“Cleaning” would probably have to be something sterilizing, like an autoclave, to kill bacteria. Bacteria can be small enough to get down into the microscopic pores of the metal… In the long run cheaper to replace every 3-5 years…

This might sound dumb, but couldn’t one just boil the tank for a while or something? If bacterial contamination is an issue, that is.

My water comes from the rive that runs in front of my cottage, I’ve used it for many years without filter, but for Airnb I installed a UV filter. It’s very effective, cheap and easy to install.

UV filter

The experts say that boiling will kill all bacteria. But some bacteria create tiny “seed” spores that can survive boiling. Spore forming pathogens include the bacteria responsible for anthrax, tetanus, gangrene and botulism.

1 Like

That’s why UV is better.

I just checked Amazon India, they have UV filters, no tank required.
Uv filter India

My water has mineral sediments I have this pre filter on it as well. You may not need this.

Prefilter

thinking of buying a Berkey. can you tell me how you test the water?