Female guests caught neighbour spying them through his window!

No pardon me… this was the same, TC. Felix was great too. A black and white cat.
TC reminds me of certain guests in this intro… having his little tip on a string that he can snatch away! LOL.

1 Like

I had hippie-ish parents so wasn’t allowed to watch tv at home. But when at my grandmother’s, ooh it was fun! I fell in love with Top Cat, I really did. Until Mike Nesmith from the Monkees, that is. Yeah, I’m really old…!

1 Like

We crushed on the Monkees too. The Beatles were a bit ahead of our time!

1 Like

To make things clearer. I don’t know the neighbour in question, in this house lives a family of 4 so it could have been anyone of the male members. The neighbour was peeping through his own window. The jist of the whistle as I understood it from their text was to signal that he was “liking what he was seeing”. I do not hold my guests responsible for what happened the neighbour is clearly a jerk, but I felt I had to point out that closing the shutters would be better for their privacy, maybe they didn’t think about it. I sometimes stay in the apartment myself and I always close the shutters while I change as the bedroom window is clearly visible from other houses.

1 Like

I feel sorry that @cabinhost has to defend herself it this way. Everyone should be allowed to state their opinion without harsh comments.

In fact, I’m on vacation and was enjoying catching up on the forum and it made me sad to see someone having to defend what they’ve said in such a way.

9 Likes

This is actually what I thought of when I read the OP. They opted to leave the blinds open when they could have chosen to have privacy. In my book that means they are NOT victims. They should be more careful.

6 Likes

An old review on TripAdvisor:

“What a dreadful town and what dreadful folk! I had folk gaping and gawking, ogling and goggling, staring and leering at me street after street. When I went into the dwelling, I had rapscallions of neighbours doing but the same, thru’ the window. And I wasn’t even changing!!” Signed - Lady Godiva.

6 Likes

Me, too. (No/ limited tv, hippie parents) Only it was Davey.

Sigh.

2 Likes

I would contact the police just to protect you from all angles. As a host you have a responsibility to take the proper channels to protect guests in a reasonable manner when a problem arises. This is important in case it happens with another guest. What if a girl under 18 is changing in there?
There is now a trail showing you know of the issue and can be accused in the future of not warning guests or doing what was necessary to protect them.
I would definitely put a note on the window for guests “Please close the curtains for proper privacy.” Since you now know the neighbors can see in, you now unfortunately carry this burden. Calling the cops and a simple note is a good start.

1 Like

@Kristina2

If the OP contacts the police, it would establish a “trail” showing the OP has knowledge of the issue. At this point, there is no trail and why would the OP want to invite any possible responsibility upon herself or her rental.

4 Likes

There is already a trail. The renters told her about it and she also posted about it here. Don’t you think that if something serious happened the defendant’s lawyer wouldn’t know previous renters told her about there being an issue in the past? They probably told her through Air messaging and left evidence there. Plus she’d be asked if she knew there was an issue in the past. She’s going to lie?

I have to say, I would never make a police report based on a guests’ report. If I have not seen or witnessed an event, I am not reporting. The guests however should be told that they can report. They experienced the behavior. They saw the person watching. They heard the whistle.

I am really not into victim blaming. Makes me wildly angry. But, I pull the blinds when I am going to show more than 50% of my skin. Sometimes young people don’t understand that. I didn’t.

10 Likes

It’s not clear what your point is because a “crime” hasn’t been established. Consider the facts. Who is at fault? What is the host’s responsibility? Does it override the guests’ common sense responsibility? What is the “issue in the past” you mention?

3 Likes

Yes, just imagine what that would be :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:, the poor neighbor who by accident would be looking out of his own window, wouldn’t only be labeled as a pervert but also as a pedophile :rofl:.

Personally, in an attempt to keep my neighbor from pressing charges against my clients, I would send him a box of chocolates and tell him I’m sorry that my guests victimized him with their exhibitionist behavior. Imagine that I as a host would be held responsible for my guest’s behavior. I would also offer to buy him shutters for his windows so he can close them anytime any of my guests decide to show too much flesh. I would also offer to pay for any psychological help in case it would happen again. I would put up a sign in the guests bedroom to urge my guests not to show any exhibitionist behavior towards my neighbors. And finally I would put an age limit on my guests: In any case I wouldn’t want my neighbor to be defamed as a pedophile.
I’m still in doubt if I would report my guests to the police. Suppose they go exhibiting themselves in other BnB’s, not reporting would make me an accomplice :worried:.

:rofl::laughing::rofl:

You were kidding about calling the police?
Weren’t you? :astonished::astonished::astonished:

4 Likes

It’s called reasonable expectation of privacy and depending on what state the host lives in, the neighbor could be arrested for being a peeping tom because of it. But god forbid the neighbor would have hostile intent (because you know not all men are gentlemen like yourself), something could happen to another guest up the road, and if the host knew the neighbor had been peeping and catcalling past female guestsand didn’t call the police previously, that could be a headache for her. Calling the cops and putting the neighbor on notice is a good idea. Especially because there’s alleged catcalling involved. And letting all guests know that proper privacy in the rental requires closing the window is also a smart idea. I don’t see what’s so mind boggling about this.

Reasonable expectation of privacy does not even apply in the given situation.

3 Likes

From what I read the neighbor wasn’t being a peeping tom. He whistled at the girls undressing in front of an open window. If anything, I would speak to the neighbor and just ask if it happened to be a friend over or something and mention that the girls were upset - but at the same time I would acknowledge that MY guests were ignorant to undress in front of open windows and apologize for it.

The OP said she does not know this neighbor and four people live there. We still do not know if this was a friend who was over and standing outside or something.

At least give the neighbor a chance to explain or tell some stupid teenage boy to cut it out and stop it. But she said she has not had any issues with any neighbors in two years of hosting. So to call the cops on him without even speaking to him is just asking for trouble. Now he is going to possibly start calling the cops on her every time a few guests start laughing loud at night.

4 Likes

I guess privacy in one’s house would already be covered by planning laws, or wouldn’t it? If I had a window that has planning permission I would be looking at everything and anything that is in sight anytime I want to do so, and I really can’t see how anyone can keep me from doing this. Openly looking out of a window can hardly be considered peeping.
About the catcalling, that is just bad taste and little education from that man. But if we have to start convicting people for bad taste and little education we will have a lot of work.
Anyway, who starts to undress in front of a window without checking if they can be seen?

And then the thought of the host being responsible for not having the neighbor get put on a list? And this for looking out of his window and whistling a tune the host didn’t hear?
OMG :open_mouth:, what kind of world has this become? To me it is completely mind boggling, C-O-M-P-L-E-T-E-L-Y !

5 Likes

Oh, no, Peter!
2020202 yowzah!

Love the Lady Godiva reference. PUSB.

Not sure looking out of your own window is a criminal offence, seems like it should be.

1 Like