Feedback please for recent guest. What review would you give?

Can we see a pic?
(I’m sure you’re tired of being told what to do, but I’m pretty curious about why a mirror won’t work)

2 Likes

The bathroom is small and “euro style”, and the small wall mount sink has a window above it. So, we can’t really put a mirror there. We did consider a few that extend but feel the shower model will be really nice and work with our ascetic, and hope that our guests will agree.

There was a brief conversation about sexism on another post earlier today. @KenH didn’t say anything thing to you that a bunch of other hosts didn’t also say to you. Being a man had nothing to do with it. It’s bad enough to ask for advice and then be rudely defensive, but you certainly don’t need to be sexist about it.

3 Likes

We have a small bathroom with a window and just put the mirror in front… still might be doable!

3 Likes

I agree with others who say that a mirror is a necessity. Ten bucks at Ikea.

1 Like

Have seen the window glass replaced with mirror glass, with a sink under the window.

3 Likes

And how are women supposed to apply make-up, do their hair, or any of that with just a mirror in the shower?

3 Likes

I see nothing negative in this behavior. If this is the only issue, then 5 stars in every category. I don’t know what the written review would say. Man shaves in bathroom? That would make you sound looney.

7 Likes

Yes, we neglected to clarify in our original post that we have a separate area for this, and you will find it a bit down from the top.

1 Like

We certainly don’t mind honest feedback, and appreciate most of the responses, as they were civil, as anyone would reasonably expect and find welcome. Ken’s tone and manner were unnecessary.

We agree that this situation was one that we needed to resolve, and feel that we found something that will hopefully work well within the limitations of our space. We also agree that we should give the guests a positive review and learn from this experience.

1 Like

When you participate in public forums, you will encounter all manner of writing styles, tone, etc. Some responders are gentle, some will try to sugar coat their advice, some are the tough love types. Some are sarcastic, some are comical, some are serious. But pretty much everyone has the intention to offer what they feel is good advice.

Scolding other posters because you don’t like their “tone” or think it’s “unnecessary”, as if they are one’s kindergarten students, is frankly just as off-putting as posts you may find otherwise objectionable.

5 Likes

If you ask for advice here, it’s like ordering coffee in Italy. You’ll get it very strong, with no sweeteners. :wink:

I wouldn’t mention it in the review, and hope that he won’t.

By now you know the importance of having a mirror over the sink for those of us that shave our faces with manual razors. I trim around the edge of my beard with my electric shaver, but when I use my electric beard trimmer to shorten it I put a used newspaper in the sink, then roll it up into the wastebasket after, saving a lot of manual hair removal. I wouldn’t expect a guest to do so.

As for shaving in the shower, that’s what women may do to shave legs, but I have never seen a man shaving in a shower. I prefer after my shower, when I’m dry and at least partially clothed.

2 Likes

I’ve never known a man to shave in the shower, either. And women don’t use mirrors to shave their legs. Inside the shower stall seems like a bizarre place to put a mirror, but I guess if the guests are okay with it, it’ll work. I imagine if the guests also find it inconvenient, it’ll be mentioned in reviews.

I think this looks cute and user friendly w/ the mirror there. My husband shaves his entire head and beard over the sink with a mirror on the wall above the sink. He would not be able to shave w/o a mirror actually.

I’m glad @airhost2 got some great advice (dry-vac hairs, give a good review, etc). I’d like to add we have quick-release toilet seats that are removed fully during every clean & if someone really had aim-issues, it gets a good rinse under running water prior to being sanitized. No where for pesky little hairs to hide w/o being found!

2 Likes

How can you not have a mirror in the bathroom? Unless you are hosting vampires, I don’t understand how that can be.

3 Likes

Really. @airhost2 says that there is no room for a mirror. I’m trying to figure out how a room with both a toilet and a sink in it is too small for a mirror, but large enough to be to code.

If it’s that small, it wouldn’t matter if someone shaved at the sink instead of the toilet, because it is apparently 3 inches apart or something :grin:

1 Like

This with the hairs is just life. At least mine in my completely white bathroom.

Why do you NOT have a mirror in the bathroom? That just baffles me.

If the rest of the visit was fine and the shaving over the toilet was the only issue, then that’s on you for not supplying a mirror in the bathroom. Where have people shaved before?

Be thankful if they don’t mark you down on accuracy.

THIS

Yup. My smallish bathroom takes 45 minutes to clean, sometimes more. I’m on my hands and knees cleaning around corners, grout, etc. 10 minutes?

Please, please do NOT click the “would not host again” button. Because they sound like perfectly fine guests who would not be able to IB a place like mine with that ding.

And this is why 10 minutes is not long enough to clean a bathroom.

1 Like

I had a guest that shave a full 3-inch-long beard and just let it all go down the drain in one of the sinks in the master bathroom. There was black hair everywhere and the drain was clogged. There’s a small waste bin literally 18 inches from the edge of the sink. It took about 20 minutes to clean and unclog the drain and I didn’t mention it in the review. It’s part of the job. Sometimes you do more, sometimes you do less.

Honestly, what was much worse was that there was one white hand towel and one white bath towel where lots of the black curly hairs the wove their way into the fabric and didn’t come out in the wash. I spent time with tweezers and a magnifying glass picking them out.

With hair, always do a first pass with a vacuum cleaner as long as the surface isn’t currently wet. Use a brush attachment on your vacuum to do around the toilets and sinks. Buy a stick vac if your current vac doesn’t support accessories.

Does it also have a sink? If not, I would say that’s the root of your shaving problem.

3 Likes

How much does one of your towels cost? That towel would have gone straight into the dog towel basket at my house. Time = money.

Absolutely. For some reason, it seemed like every guest trimmed their bangs this summer. But as long as they aren’t dying their hair, I don’t mind, the vacuum gets it.

1 Like

Haha, good point. We buy at Costco I think they were about $5 each for bath towels and $1 each for hand towel. Still, they were almost new and I’m usually inclined to fix-it vs. throw-it-away from an environmental perspective.

1 Like