Family emergency request - but just a day later?

When guests ask for early check in or late check out , I first off them the fees but then tell them if the. place is ready I’m let them know. Most decline paying and I usually do offer early check in once I have the place set up but the guests almost never take me up on it. Late check out is more problematic for me so I don’t offer it for free.

1 Like

I’m wondering, and please believe that I’m saying this to be helpful, whether your willingness to offer the guests a refund is one reason why you’ve had problems with guests in the past? It seems such a strange thing to do to me.

There are many reasons, classed as family emergencies. that could apply to this situation and none of them a reason to be wary or to give guests a full refund. It’s could be that your definition off ‘family emergency’ is not the same as theirs, that’s all. (Someone’s babysitter didn’t show up. A marital row. The dog was poorly. A family member needed to use their car etc).

‘Was’ being the operative word. You can get Fords now in any colour, not just black. Virgin was a company that sold records, not flights. Time moves on. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I have actually let them check in a day later and tacked an extra night on. No issues.

Everyone has definitely weighed in on this. My standard response is - “you are absolutely welcome to check in at any time after your check in time at your convenience. Please let us know if you have any questions”.

The only answer is sure you can check in tomorrow. Refund them nothing; there is no need since they haven’t asked for a refund. You have exactly answered their question. Never second -guess what a guest might be thinking.

1 Like

As guests we were unable to take up our one night Airbnb stay due to my husband becoming ill. Host offered to credit us and following an easing of our lockdown rules we took them up on it, but during a weekday which we thought may compensate, as less likely to get booked.

Hey that’s not fair - @KKC is the history expert!