False address on Airbnb to pump up bookings?

Is it against Airbnb’s terms of service for a host to deliberately pin a false address only to then let guests know where the property is? I have some screwball neighbors who do this. They falsely pinned the property on Airbnb next to a VERY well visited tourist site. Truth being there property is almost 20 miles away. What a wacky bunch they are.

1 Like

There’s an old saying “Time wounds all heels”. If they play that kind of a trick, sooner or later someone won’t pay attention to their “oops” email, and they will start getting bad reviews.

You could probably report their listing if you want to help “time” get here sooner, but that could backfire if they found out it was you.

3 Likes

How would they find out it was another host @PitonView

Airbnb wouldn’t disclose it.

@shashdineecoretreat if you want Airbnb to take action, you can flag, but normally they have to get quite a few flags to take any action. You would be better giving them a call if you want them to do something.

Haven’t any guests mentioned this in their reviews.

1 Like

Yes, guests have mentioned it. This is the second false spot they’ve pin. They keep moving it.

What freaks. They need reporting to the attitude police.

1 Like

I had a ABB “neighbour” who is 10km away from me who claims to be 20 minutes from the Phillip Island Moto Grand Prix track which is the major attraction around here. It would be 45 minutes on a good day and well over an hour on a race day in traffic, maybe even 2 hours. She promotes herself as being close for people attending the races but when I check she has no bookings so people aren’t so stupid. But deliberately falsifying your address is stupid. Eventually guests would point it out in reviews and future guests would ignore her place after that. In fact this would be one time when a 1 star for Location would be justified.

1 Like

It is - as is falsifying any information about a rental. One neighbour here stated that their apartment was a ‘20 minute stroll’ to the beach. It can be done in 20 minutes - jogging quite rapidly. It’s certainly not a stroll.

Another claimed that their apartment had waterway views - and one of their guests pointed out to me that the only place in the apartment which had waterway views was when the guest was sitting on the loo!

Which waterway were they viewing? One out the window or…

2 Likes

Haha! The one out of the window but I see what you mean!

:wink:

2 Likes

These are two incompetent failed missionaries that came here upon one of them having a dream to open up a community center/church. How does one screw up that racket? They actually built the community center without proper approvals, etc. And it was bought, paid for, and built with the sweat equity of persons in faith of the 7th Day Adventist Church. The entire project has been a monumental failure. Perhaps it was not God but, mental illness. Now they wish to be an Airbnb and have poorly copied what I’ve worked at.

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”
― Oscar Wilde

1 Like

Basil:
Well, may I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically…?

Mrs. Richards:
Don’t be silly. I expect to be able to see the sea.

Basil:
You can see the sea. It’s over there between the land and the sky.

Mrs. Richards:
I’d need a telescope to see that.

Basil:
Well, then, may I suggest you move to a hotel nearer the sea? [mutters] Or preferably in it.

5 Likes

@JamJerrupSunset - should be required viewing for all Airbnb hosts! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I call my place “the house that sin built” as it was previously owned by a preacher who used to use convicted felons on community services orders to do the renovations for him for free. Apart from the electrical wiring they did a pretty good job.

1 Like

Basil Faulty, the original superhost!

2 Likes

Well just so others who read this know, there are other reasons why a caret may be off. One is that airbnb goes by zip code, and 5 miles. So in our area, we are very remote. Our closest town is 25 miles away, so to put in our correct location, which is Monument Valley, AZ we are unable to place our caret at our location because it would put it 25 miles away in Kayenta. If we put our zip for MV UT we can place our caret, but our taxes go to the wrong state. Another reason, especially what we see in our area, is that the hosts don’t either look at the map, or place the caret, or know how to do it. It also sometimes keeps manually changing for some reason. Or perhaps that’s automatically. Mainly because we have no physical addresses and we’re not on many postal map databases.

Also, there’s a bar at the bottom for the guests, that recommend nearby accommodations for an area that you are looking at, and depending on availability those more remote locations will pop up.

In our area, people don’t want to pay Grand Canyon prices. So when our area, starts on the reel, our prices are far less. They don’t realize, where it is, or look at any map. All they are looking at is prices.

Then they start crying that they had to drive 3 hours to sleep, which people do anyways just to get here from Page/Grand Canyon. The guests, never let an opportunity go by to overdramaticize issues that they experience, even though they are perfectly normal for others.

So take heart, think of it as a guest hell, that all the bad guests are going to. And though they catch some innocent ones, you’ll never know if they will get accurately abated in their reviews. Because most of the guests don’t know what they are talking about anyways. hahaha.

In our area, there are two or three popular airbnbs where the hosts, don’t change the laundry and don’t do their laundry. Who have registered sex offenders living within 50 yards of the airbnbs. And are complete nut cases and all get great reviews.

Damn, I’ve been waiting ages for the opportunity to use that quote!

My second favourite:

Basil: Do you remember, Sybil, when we were first manacled together? We used to laugh quite a lot …
Sybil: Yes, Basil, but not at the same time.

Ah, happy days …

1 Like

Being English and having plenty of guests from Germany, my favourite tends to be ‘don’t mention the war’.

:slight_smile: