Extra charges sheet for whole-house rentals? (WARNING: long post!)

The vast majority of my post refers to the recycling of waste, which, if someone is not yet aware of how to do this, they should learn so that our world does not turn into a giant garbage heap. Our resort area has required this type of system for many years now (not just me, the WHOLE resort) and I’m glad they do… and happy to inform people if they don’t do this yet. Hopefully they will take that mentality home with them and start making a difference in their own area.

Truthfully, if someone finds these items complicated I’d prefer that they not stay with me either. I don’t say this to be unkind - I just find that guests who don’t read or follow the basic rules are the ones I wouldn’t rent to again.

2 Likes

As someone who visits Sweden frequently for 4-6 weeks at a time, I must chime in the Swedish recycling is one of the most complicated systems I have ever seen!! My Sambo’s mother scolded me yesterday for not separating something correctly. Hey, atleast I’m trying! That being said the world would be a better place if the eco-consciousness of Sweden was adopted world wide.

1 Like

I’ve decided to move ahead with this, too.

My house rules in all my listings already have this included - “leave the kitchen and bbq as you found them”; and, “to avoid additional charges guests should bring their waste to the facility provided”.

If guests book with us they’ve already agreed to this, so the additional charge sheet should not be a surprise. Maybe even a bonus for having the choice to pay someone else to do it. At the least it will make people think twice before just leaving a mess for someone else to deal with.

For the benefit of the majority of our guests I do not want to implement a higher cleaning cost in order to cover the irresponsible people who do not clean up after themselves.

1 Like

If I could give this 10 hearts, I would! I totally agree!!

1 Like

Why wouldn’t you book a place with a charge sheet? The purpose is for those guests who would prefer to pay someone else to do things the guests should have been doing throughout the entire stay. Since you hate minibars, does that mean you don’t book hotels that offer them?

If you are priced to what the market will bear (for the accommodations you offer) then you cannot just “build” the cost of hours of extra cleaning into each reservation. Then you will be over-priced. I hear this a lot from hosts ; “I just “build” it into my rates, etc.” It’s often times used as a way to justify unnecessary expenses, and deny to one’s self that those costs DO come out of the hosts pocket.

1 Like

Hi @Freya, I would minimize your nightly rate and charge the $120 that it costs you to have a cleaner in. That way you’ll attract longer stays.

Even if it were you doing the cleaning you should pay yourself a fair wage for doing it. Charging the guest the actual amount that it costs is more than fair. I’m sure there are hosts that tack on an extra fee for having to deal with the cleaners.

3 Likes

I have instructions with pictures and I am always there to explain if they are asking but most of the people don’t want to do any recycling.

As the OP stated, it comes of as nickle and diming. It’s also not paying someone to do what you should have done throughout your entire stay if you’re charging an extra $60 per extra person because you didn’t register them up front. That’s a penalty - not paying someone to do something for you.

I avoid hotels that have minibars if possible.

You’re starting from the wrong point. The price should be cost of the service plus margin. If you have costed your service to be mortgage + time spent + consumables = X but miscalculated your time then you’ve miscosted your cost of doing business. If your cost of doing business is not market viable then you do not have a market viable service.

It shouldn’t be that a host sets their price at “market rate” then figures out how to recoupe their actual costs. It’s deceptive when those costs are common costs, and not extraordinary (e.g. damage).

1 Like

Correct. It is a penalty and I make no bones about it. I don’t want the hassle of calling people on sneaking in extra guests. It’s shown on the Rental Policies that they sign: $15 to register up-front and $75 for unregistered guests.

Most guests do follow our Check-out list. It isn’t fair to them to raise the cost of the cleaning to include cleaning the kitchen for those that aren’t responsible. And cleaning an entire kitchen is a big job if someone has been doing lots of cooking. This cost is to cover the additional cost of cleaning something that they had agreed to do themselves.

2 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from, but I don’t agree with it. I would avoid booking your listing.

I think you should be upfront that some of these are penalties and not charges.

In relation to cleaning, you should be very clear to guests what is covered by the “cleaning charge” and perhaps set a flat hourly rate of cleaning of anything in excess rather than a line item.

1 Like

Hmmm… I kind of thought that “$15 for registered guests and $75 for UNregistered guests” kind of indicates that it’s a penalty in the nicest way possible.

To each his own, though. If someone is going to condone sneaking in unpaid guests I’d rather they stay elsewhere.

It’s not indicating it is a penalty.

I have not condoned anybody sneaking in unpaid guests on this thread (or any other thread). I have taken time to consider your suggestion, and have given what I hope is constructive feedback.

From your OP, you already knew that there was a possibility your approach would put off potential guests. I’m now giving you feedback that is the case. Do what the feedback what you will.

1 Like

Fair enough. I appreciate your input, Ash. Thanks for taking the time.

Well personally, I think increasing your clean fee by an excessive amount would put off potential guests. A reasonable person would not be turned off by a charge sheet. Think about it…I have spent a lot of time searching for a large house (like yours) that accommodates my large family traveling from different parts of the country to get together.

I then see your dates are available, the sleeping arrangements work, etc. I want to go ahead and reserve. So now I ask to see your rental policies, etc.

The LAST thing I am going to do is begin my search all over just because you have additional charges for hours of worth of extra work (which violate the rental agreement). Because I know I am able to abide the regular “depature checklist” - I would have no problem.

I am most definitely not going to book another place that I am less happy with, or that costs me even more in rent, because you are not willing to spend free hours cleaning up after my group.

3 Likes

Hi jaquo, thank you for your valuable advice. I’m still observing and learning, not only learning from my guests but also from you and others on this forum :slight_smile: Your advice about cleaning fee sounds good to me, I’m gonna try soon.

We’re all still learning - even the very experienced hosts discover new tips and tricks all the time. I guess that’s the nature of hosting. :slight_smile:

There is so much incredibly useful information here at the forum. When I first joined I read every single topic (it took a long time!) but it was like being at an Airbnb university.

We don’t always have the same opinions about various subjects but at least you get a variety of ideas to help you decide what’s best for your own particular situation and rental.

2 Likes

[quote=“cabinhost, post:34, topic:10974, full:true”]
A reasonable person would not be turned off by a charge sheet. [/quote]

As above, I would be turned off by it. The sly personal digs are not welcome, and as a moderator, you should know better.

As I said above:

We’re all different. Some have separate apartments, some are hosting guests in their home. Some are furious if guests don’t take the trash out, others don’t care in the least. And so on.

This forum is fantastic because people have the opportunity to read about the experiences of real live hosts; they’re not blogs by someone who has rented their place out for a few months and decide they are an expert.

Of course opinions differ because everyone has their own hosting style. What’s right for me as a host might be completely wrong for you but this is the value of this forum - free expression of our opinions and the right to challenge them.

3 Likes

I agreed with your post. However, the forum is not all honey and milk when alternative view points cannot be put forward and is met with a passive aggressive insult (or any insult).

What I don’t agree with is the comment made by @cabinhost. i.e. A reasonable person would not be turned off by a charge sheet. There is several people on this thread, who seemingly are reasonable people, person who have said they would be turned-off by a charge sheet.

The problem with an internet forum is that there are no visual clues about a post. When you are talking to someone face to face, you see their facial expressions and it may be that they wink, smile or show other signs.

On the internet, that doesn’t happen and sometimes it’s easy to misinterpret what someone is saying. This is especially the case when we’re talking about people who may not have English as their first language.

We’re all in the ‘Airbnb hosting boat’ together and we might not agree with other people’s opinions but surely we can respect them? :slight_smile: