Extension until July 30 for guests to cancel for full refund

I spent 25 years in IT too :slight_smile: Just because you wouldn’t be a part of the code team for equity does not mean that someone else would not - or for say $5-10K plus equity. Just saying.

IMO, worldwide as phase 1 is overly challenging for regulatory, tax, and legal issues.

Airlines are giving full credit towards future flights for up to one year that seems fair versus complete rape of host’s service ,calendar and strict cancellation policy…the drop kicking has to end. Respect the agreement that you have with us with a 50% refund or full credit for up to one year… A 50% kick in the gut is better than complete annihilation.

Oh of course not. Things are poised for change. Air has created the need. The recent crisis has brought things to a head.

Yet there seem to be all sorts of EC applied by Air to stays booked after 3/14. Shocking!

1 Like

Sorry, no idea what “EC” stands for …

Extenuating circumstances

Got it. Thanks.

I’m sure Airbnb will continue to extend the July 15 date for cancellations, so we just need to be prepared for it.

On another subject, has anyone seen the 25% payouts for cancelled reservations through May? I had I booking, but it wasn’t showing on the list of payments to be made, somI send an inquiry to C/S … they haven’t answered. The response time seems to be out to a week or more.

In the UK and many other countries government restrictions are in place AT LEAST until July not just for March and April @Lindeman6872

And countries such as the US banned visitors from many countries making it impossible for people to travel NOT just in March and April.

It is has been an incredibly tough haul not just for STR businesses but for all businesses out there.

I truly don’t understand why you should be expecting to be paid for a service you can’t offer either by a guest or by the marketing channel you are using.

Bottom line if you don’t like how Airbnb has approached Covid, invest in marketing your listing directly and through other platforms .

In fairness, I have to say that they also allowed me, as a host, to cancel a reservation made after 3/14 due to covid (EC). The pandemic is certainly not over and the 3/14 date is somewhat arbitrary (even though it’s based on the WHO announcement I believe) as I doubt anyone could see where this was going on 3/23 either.

We should have a glossary. :joy:

IB - instant book
OTA - online travel agency
HOT - hotel occupancy tax
CBA - cancel by admin (airbnb)
CBH - cancel by host
CBG - cancel by guest
CBD - won’t get you high
JMO/JMHO - just my (honest/humble) opinion
YMMV - your mileage may vary
IIRC - if i recall
PITA - pain in the …

2 Likes

My group for July 4th reason for cancellation is that they own a business and cannot afford to self quarantine for 2 weeks after their trip so not illness financial hardship only is cause for 100% refund now… Host financial hardship does not enter in $2,000 in your account one day 00.00 the next… All agreements trashed for us as hosts… The guest has only to cry poor.

Exactly!!! I’m betting that Airbnb isn’t vetting any of these excuses for cancellation OR requiring documentation of any sort. And you can bet the July 15 extension keeps getting moved, so all Summer will be subject to further cancellations … very disappointing.

My saving grace has been that June and July cancellations got filled with new reservations, but for shorter periods AND now my cleaning service isn’t permitting back-to-back guests … must be 24 - 48 hours between guests, so I’m losing valuable Summer days.