2 Likes

Apologies @RiverRock I couldn’t help myself - apologies :cry::grin:

3 Likes

That is it, in a nutshell.

Yeah, you’re right. Again.

JF

8 Likes

Thanks @Helsi.
I mean, it is not necessary to cancel the reservation. But I get your point, the one changing plans goes after.
I have a villa in a holiday spot, with plenty of similar competitors super close. That’s why here we can send guests to close options.

1 Like

I was in the same situation when a guest who booked 5 days then wanted to stay a month, and I had two other (short) bookings in that time that interfered. I chose to make less money and stay true to the guests that had already booked. I felt it was the right thing to do, and I let the guest know I couldn’t accommodate her for the entire month, but I would let her know if anyone canceled. It didn’t phase her in the least, and she moved in and out of my house three different times that month, booking almost every available day! 5 star reviews each time :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I agree with others that in most circumstances you should not cancel booked guests. However, you could do some problem solving by telling your nurse guest that you would love to have her extend; however, the first 2 weeks she needs are not available. As some others have said, you could offer to find her other accommodation for the 2 weeks, and you could offer her better rates with a private stay for the remaining dates.

This actually happened to me (as a guest) the very first time I used Airbnb 8-9 years ago. The host asked me if I’d consider his offer to find me a comparable or better place so he could rent for a longer term to a different guest. I understood his dilemma and accepted his offer … all turned out well.

As a host, I’d at least ask the future guest if they would consider me helping to find them an alternate accommodation. If they refused, I’d honor their reservation. If they accepted, I’d make sure to get adequate deposits and assurances from the current, extending guest to protect myself.

Bottom line, is we hosts run a business, and a business needs to make decisions in their own best interest, while still trying to accommodate customers.

2 Likes

As a teacher I never realized this is how businesses should be run. I’ve never had my event ticket canceled because some else would pay more for my seat. I never had a contractor cancel work because a bigger job came along. My hair stylist never canceled my appointment for a more important client. No hotel or homestay has ever canceled on me or asked me to change my reservation. They people who sold me their home didn’t renege after deciding they priced too low.

I guess I’ve just been lucky.

9 Likes

Agree completely @KKC apart from here in England we have ‘gazumping’ where anyone can come along and put in a higher offer and you are stuffed until there is an exchange of contracts.

So you have a situation where you incur legal and survey costs and unscrupulous sellers can just keep their sale open and accept a higher price.

Such a rubbish system.

I wonder if these hosts who are willing to disrupt their confirmed guests arrangements would feel if they booked somewhere only to find hosts cancelling on them and the nearest alternative was miles away/much more expensive/ less bedrooms/fewer amenities.

2 Likes

@MissMiami
In general I would say “don’t cancel an existing reservation” but I have cancelled 3 in 6 years

1. A/c died 95 degree days

2. I goofed and double booked, fortunately my 2nd condo was available so I moved them to the larger condo for the same price

3. After a hurricane, I housed a couple whose home was flooded. Couple needed to extend their stay. 3 day reservation blocked extension.
    I talked to the 3-day guests, explained situation & ASKED if they would consider moving to the rental Nextdoor (very nice owned by dear friend & also on Airbnb)
    Airbnb CS involved and facilitated move with no penalties or extra fees. Of course that was back when you could actually talk to a CS person.

Situation #3 was very similar to what was described by @MissMiami.
I was prepared to honor the original reservation and the flood-guest was willing to check out/in and spend the 3 nights at my friend’s condo.
However, the 3-night guest was reasonable and empathetic. Since they were involved in the decision, it worked out fine.

I find all the bouncing on this thread about “Airbnb not ethical so why should I be” disconcerting. That makes as much sense as my cousin announcing, “if they didn’t want me to steal, they should’ve paid me more…”. We are responsible for our personal behavior.

7 Likes

Great post @Annet3176

I think having two properties makes it much easier when you have these sorts of situations.

Yes, having 2 rentals in the same condo community has made a few situations easier.

Also, I’ve made an effort to get to know the other owners in my neighborhood who list on Airbnb & VRBO. Of the 9 owners I contacted, 5 of us have a little network for sharing Information about service providers like cleaning & repair services and rental referrals if we can’t accommodate a request.

2 Likes

That sounds like a good approach.

Have a similar approach but unfortunately my network isn’t in the immediate area.

1 Like

I just hope karma is real for those who pull such stunts.

1 Like

This is what I’d do.

Agree with those who would move the calendar-blocking guest if they agree, to a comparable or better listing.

A while back, I had a guest receiving medical treatment at Johns Hopkins, with certain needs for cleanliness and air quality that he couldn’t find in other rentals, that my listing provided. His mother was coming by to help him manage. He wanted to extend another few weeks, and that required figuring out what to do about an incoming guest coming for a weekend.

The current guest was my priority. I knew him and knew his situation. Incoming guests are always a wild card IMO.

The potential incoming guest was a nightmare to deal with in terms of communication. She barely could understand how email or online platforms worked, and had by accident signed up with two Airbnb accounts and it seemed like all my attempted communication went into whichever account and email she never checked. I talked to her on the phone and to Air CSX and got her moved. I told CSX I wondered about whether she would be reliable in safely locking my house up and managing the keyless entry, since she was not capable of reading my house manual apparently, with all the details on how to operate the lock including a video instruction, nor providing the magic phrase therein. She gave the host she ended up a nitpicky review. I felt I had dodged a bullet.

I get the obligation to every guest that books, but given the flakiness of the guest population, whenever there is a ready alternative nearby, I would work with the agreement of all parties to rehome the incoming guest, who as others have noted might well cancel or otherwise flake. Quality mid- or long-term guests are like gold and worth keeping.

1 Like

Yes offer the nurse a good deal if they want to return after the currently booked teachers stay is complete, I would possibly hold the dates for him if you trust that he will use them.

Best-said yet! :smirk: