Explaining Guest Service Fee and Occupancy Tax to Guests

@Helsi - I’ve tried that as well :confused: After reading everyone’s responses here, I’m realizing it’s much more a reflection of a few rude/aggressive folks that will always find something to question or create an issue about. As so many of you have said, it’s just not worth it to try to appease these people! Luckily, I have interacted with so many more kind and easygoing guests and those are the people I want staying in my home at the end of the day!!

Thank you all for the advice and reassurance! I’m still a fairly new Airbnb host and this forum has been so helpful and insightful :smile: :smile:

2 Likes

I’ll have to try this again. Thank you

I’ve been dinged twice on stars due to ABB’s guest fees. Both guests said that the 4* for value were because of the ABB fees. I explained, after the fact (dang), how the booking fees work and that I also pay for the “privilege” of using ABB with my own fees.

Now, when people show up, I have a chat with them (especially the newbies) asking how they thought the ABB booking experience was and explaining fees to them. So far they all seem to get it.

Agreed. The guest’s response would have me messaging “My listing and ABB in general don’t seem to be a good fit for you. I suggest you look for a hotel.”

I’ve fired those clients, too. I have one right now that is on the brink - paying 2 employees who don’t know what they’re doing and not wanting to pay me to fix what they don’t know what they’re doing. Client is soooo on the edge of no more patience.

Yup.

Nah, nasty note from potential guest and I’m done. “Not a fit, find a hotel” and block that account.

So, I see how this reason for blocking easily fits in the “they’re being offensive” category (only option given that leads to blocking, at least per ABB Help Center).

But I’ve truly wanted to block some folks that I just never want to book me but I cannot honestly say they’ve been “offensive”. More like “I can tell they will be a pain in my boots”. Usually this is after a back & forth that leaves me knowing they are shady or high maintenance.

Does anyone block for these reasons I’ve given and what did you write when prompted?

1 Like

Yes, I’ve blocked 3 in the last 2 weeks. I know, I know @RiverRock will say “heads in beds,” but I’m a home share host and don’t want the hassle.

All have been high maintenance in their messaging and asking for things I won’t or can’t provide.

“Thank you for your time messaging us (I include the cat as co-host) about your upcoming visit. Based on your communication, our home is not a good fit for your needs and I’m not comfortable hosting you. Please check out other listings or a hotel. Please withdraw your Request To Book (they’re always requests, not inquiries) and unblock my calendar.”

2 Likes

Yes, I have. After you choose “they’re being offensive” some other choices come up. I have always chosen “they’re harassing me” because that has been the reason that I was blocking them.

If you respond with a firm answer and they contact you again, then that could be considered harassment. Anytime someone has cursed at me or attacked me as an individual, that is also harassment.

3 Likes

@Annet3176
Copy and paste is the default for a doubter and a challenger, if one feels like engaging on that level. I’ve been questioned a couple times and responded that platform policies are out of my jurisdiction, that I pay them a cut as well, and that the 11% County tax is an obligation. My cleaning fees have been questioned as well. I pay my helper $25 an hour and to keep the standards as high as I find appropriate the suite is deep cleaned between every guest. We have it down to 3 hours, if the guest respects the place, which is standard in my home share. Not everyone understands the system, and I consider that they want to know what they are paying for. That’s OK, and as long as it is done respectfully, I am OK with it. If someone is clearly off the wall, they are not going to be a good fit for my home. I’m too “old” for that.

6 Likes