Evidence of drug use by guest

I just cleaned after a guest left and found a tourniquet and white powder residue. I first I was angry, then I tore the unit apart looking for needles left behind, now I am just thankful nothing terrible happened. The thought occurred to me that I should keep Narcan on hand…the guest house is on our property. Does anyone else keep an emergency rescue kit on hand?
drug use by guest

@Brooksfarm Unless you are a licensed medical practitioner, I wouldn’t advise using or dispensing any medications to guests. I keep antihistamine around and show guests where it is, as there are scorpions where I live and it could buy some time to get them to a hospital for antivenom IV if they have a bad reaction to the sting.

But a lot of hosts warn against even providing aspirin.

If a guest were to OD on drugs, I think the best course of action would be to phone 911, not try to deal with it myself.

3 Likes

I am a medical provider. But there is a big push in our state (Pennsylvania) to get Narcan in the hands of the lay public. We live in a rural area so EMS is not always a quick response.

5 Likes

This is more like CPR or First Aid and not really dispensing medication.

You can get Narcan without a prescription and are covered by Good Samaritan Laws in most places. There’s a lot of activism about it in my state and they encourage anyone and everyone to have it around. If someone is overdosing, it can save their lives. If someone is not overdosing, it will not hurt them.

Yes, we have some here. I thought it the responsible thing to do since we have so many people in and out, though I’d probably most likely use it for someone on the street I’m guesssing.

8 Likes

I have found syringes in the rentals (and weed smells) after guests have left but nevertheless feel that it is over and above my responsibility to prepare myself for anyone overdosing here.

My town just did a free Narcan distribution and education session. I thought about it more because I’ve known many people with issues. Not hosting now because of COVID so didn’t think about that.Don’t get it without the pertinent education session and investigate your liability a little. It probably differs greatly from country to country and state/province within each. If this was rare occurrence, I might hesitate. If you are the typical community these days with its share of opiate abuse, it might make sense.

2 Likes

When I head back to Pennsylvania to visit family, there are plenty of billboards advising “Carry Naloxone.” There’s a standing order for it in the state, meaning it can be obtained from a pharmacy without a prescription. Agree it’s like being ready to provide CPR. Last year, the governor took a course with media present to encourage training. Over 100 people per day die of opioid or fentanyl overdoses in US.

5 Likes

You’ve probably seen this Information already, but Incase you haven’t—fentanyl is cheap to produce. Street fentanyl is 50x to 100x more potent than morphine.

Opioid over dependence and addiction are massive problems. Most abusers know their “safe” get high not die limit EXCEPT now it is common to cut the drugs with cheap fentanyl.

The fentanyl creates the overdose.

Narcan is quick in/quick out but it may keep the person breathing until EMS arrives.

1 Like

i just found a sealed bag of weed imported from california on the front doorstep of the apartment after our latest guest. plus somebody walked off with the playstation. but at least i got a bag of weed for it…

6 Likes

I recently found smoking pipes in our trash can. The guests were smoking them on the side of the house, which is hidden from view. Little do they know that there’s a camera pointing straight at them and everything was caught on video. They did keep everything clean and tidy in and outside of the house…go figure!

Of course I have no idea what they were smoking, but someone indulging in a pipe of pot or something, has no correlation whatsoever to whether they are clean and respectful.

2 Likes

Sorry about that he PlayStation :frowning:

As a medical professional whose specialty is substance abuse, agree with the above. 911 only

1 Like

We don’t supply any form of medication in our first aid kits. There is a 24hr farmacia fairly close so if someone wants something, we’ll happily point them in their direction. If need be, I’d even go with them if they didn’t have any Spanish or weren’t confident about asking for what they needed.

In Spain opioid abuse is a lesser issue, behind alcohol and cannabis, so no plans to start keeping supplies of Naloxone here.

JF

Aspirin is first line of treatment in case of a heart attack. There is a small bottle of 81mg aspirin in my rental. Dollar tree so cheap & not enough pills for someone to do harm; could save a life

1 Like

And stroke. And menstrual cramps. And hangover, lol.

We have individual packets for 4 aspirin total in the medicine cabinet. It is an OTC drug. It is in FDA approved packaging that includes all pertinent directions and warnings. Children do not come to our apartments. There’s not enough to do any damage. Besides, I am not “dispensing” it and that is what is relevant with medication - I think that is being missed in this topic.

The disinfectant that we leave is far more dangerous if someone is being reckless.

2 Likes

That to me is the difference- administering a medication or simply having it available. I don’t leave any medications in the guest bathroom, because medications need to be kept in the fridge where I live, due to heat and humidity. So I show guests the container in my fridge where they could find antihistamine in case of a scorpion or other sting, ibuprofin, and Tylenol. My guests are adults- I don’t see any dif between them getting a pill out of my stash or going to the pharmacy to buy some.

1 Like