Eviction notice on my door for being an Airbnb Host, Legal asst. needed

For commercial leases yes…I’m not sure what landlords have worked out with tenants who do Airbnb although from what I read most tenants don’t notify the landlord so they don’t know. I do know I wouldn’t be happy with a tenant making money off of my rental when I pay the insurance, mortgage and taxes.

2 Likes

Of course, no disagreeing there.

I think I’m not explaining myself: I consider every lease a win-win. Not only the leases where the tenant is making money with the lease. Therefor I don’t see much difference. If the landlord were able to make more money on his own, he would have done so, but he chose to ask the maximum amount possible, and he found a tenant for that price. That tenant however can only make his monthly payments if he sublets on AirBnB.

I understand that it’s an insurance / liability issue. And the condominium might object because of security reasons. But apart from that I can’t see why the landlord would object.

1 Like

Also… Your homeowners insurance would not cover something if it happened at your property. It’s putting the homeowner at huge risk to sneak Air.

5 Likes

I would think that most landlords would think that their tenants are paying mortgage, insurance and taxes. :thinking::thinking::thinking: That’s at least the logic of buying to rent out.

I have a 2 bedroom house I rent for 2,575 a month (market Rate for the city it’s in etc) when I had it on Airbnb I made 3,500/month some months (4,200 one really good month) and that’s because I could rent it for more per night than the pro rated rent per night. When 4-6 people are splitting the bill you can charge more than when just two people or one person is renting per month… so as a landlord, no, I would not want a tenant making 1k a month off of my investment.

Could you give 1 or 2 examples of this, for those of us who don’t understand the USA very well.

but as Savanah said, she has her place rented long term to give someone a home. Not so they can profit enormously off her investment. Incur a bunch of wear and tear on the property. My Air is not busy compared to most, but the wear and tear on my property is huge. I’ve already had to replace a screen door, a toilet, kitchen and bathroom faucets and a ceiling fan. Those are minor things compared to some.

3 Likes

I hadn’t even considered wear and tear… you’re right! I was focused on a tenant making an income (above the rent) off of my property.

2 Likes

Also, a lot of tenants are doing Airbnb in markets where landlords are not allowed to do them (more crazy American laws) so there’s often a reason landlords forbid it.

2 Likes

The tenant wouldn’t be making 1k a month off of your investment. He would be making it with his own labour. That also the difference between your $ 3500 before and your $ 2575 now: LABOUR. If you could make $ 3500 without the extra work, you would also do it.

But wouldn’t that be paid by the tenant?

That is a clear and good argument.

But the opportunity to make money with Labour would not exist if the investment property were not available as a vehicle to do so…

1 Like

Do you mean the Air guest? No, it’s wear and tear on my property caused by the zillion of Air guests tromping in and out, especially over the busy season. Oh, I forgot BBQ. I have replaced the damn BBQ at least three times because it’s outside disintegrating from the corrosive salt air. :rofl:

1 Like

No I mean the tenant renting from the landlord.

Correct, just like the opportunity to rent out an investment property wouldn’t exist without someone working (in or off the property) to pay the rent.

I’m a bit confused by the one directional view here of the landlord - tenant relationship.

Yes. Say you have a standard homeowners policy. It only covers things like fires, floods and liability. If someone like a worker or similar comes on my property and my dog bites them or they trip over my cat.

But because Air activities are considered commercial and not the standard activities of you, your family, a non paying guest or a long term renter,
nothing would be covered. In fact they would even cancel you if they discovered you doing Air! And not renew!

2 Likes

No, in the U.S., the person renting does not take care of their own maintenance and wear and tear. The landlord does all that. If you wanted to paint your place for example, the landlord would usually reimburse the cost of the paint.

1 Like

It’s the same in Europe @GutHend - at least in the UK and Ireland.

1 Like

I don’t think any landlord can count on the tenant paying all those expenses. They shouldn’t count on it anyway. I think with how high mortgage payments can be, most people are happy if they just get most of it covered.

1 Like

It’s beyond just paying the rent (which may or may not cover more than the mortgage, taxes and insurance) it’s making income from a property you do not own. An example is say I own a McDonald’s… I am not doing the labor and may not even visit the facility but I make more than the people I pay… they don’t make more than me because they are doing the labor. I make more as the owner because I made the investment and put my capital up to purchase the franchise.
If a landlord is ok with it (and some don’t care) then great I’m just saying no way am I going to allow someone to make money off of my investment and they’ve got no financial stake in it and I’m 100% liable

I’m truly blessed because I am able to have two types of rentals: Airbnb short term & traditional long term lease.

I am in agreement with Saranah’s comments.

Business end of the long term lease: I put my hard earned & saved resources and credit/mortgage on the line to purchase this unit. My rental rate is for a long term rental & anticipated wear & tear on the unit and purchase insurance to cover the potential risks for a long term rental. As the entrepreneur, a sublet or Airbnb rental by the tenant makes me subject to all the risks and NONE of the rewards. I do not owe my tenant the opportunity to collect additional revenue and use my investment for their gain.

As the owner, I would give the tenant a written warning. If it continues, I would seek a cease & desist order. If it continues, seek eviction for lease violation. As quickly as possible after the cease & desist order, raise the rent substantially. The one time warning is because people make mistakes.

With all the lecturing and table thumping aside: Rentals are a business to me. If the tenant and I can structure their Airbnb hosting to provide me with the legal protection I need & provide additional revenue to me as well as provide them with earnings, I can be reasonable. The key is, the rental would be with my (the owner’s) full knowledge & inclusion.

8 Likes

Very very well said, Annet, and I agree with you 100%!!