Everthing going OK until this morning

The letter should say that the place was checked and found to be without any trace of bug infestation. And maybe add that it was treated to prevent bug infestations.
If the letter says they were “exterminated”, AirBnB will maybe make you pay your crazy guest’s laundry and hotel bill.

Consider calling AirBnB before she does.

8 Likes

I would call AirBnB and tell them the whole story, letting them know that you have gone above and beyond to make sure there were no bugs in your house and let them deal with her.

Fleas can live anywhere. So if you have any free-roaming cats in your neighborhood, there could be fleas living in the grass. If she sat outside for a while, that’s where she could have gotten bites. Who knows. But unless she actually SAW fleas inside the home, I would have a hard time believing that’s where she got the bites.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve developed a good rapport with the exterminator. I suspect he will be agreeable to use suggested language in his letter…

2 Likes

I am breaking silence on this one.

Your guest is scamming you.

I had a young man accuse me of bed bugs. It’s impossible. We exceed standards in all 50 states. There’s even an adhesive strip that secures ever under bedposts to prove it. And we had a building inspector in 3 months earlier. But he had 3 pimples nearly in a row!

I called Air. Basically the onus was at least in part on him to prove it. I was happy to co-operate, of course, but they need to pack some substantial proof.

8 Likes

Just got of the phone with Air. They escalated it to what I think is the bug team. LOL. She hasn’t contacted them yet. Took the case manager through the time line and mentioned that the exterminator came through and found no signs of bugs and he went ahead and treated the place so there are no issues going forward.

Said they will back me on this and, at most, I might consider offering one night since she checked out a day early. Case Manager said that she could have gotten those bites anywhere.

I mentioned I was concerned about getting slammed on her review. She said don’t worry, she’ll turn off reviews for this booking…

8 Likes

If your area has mosquitos, all those bites could be mosquitos if she sat at a table somewhere in the evening. Mosquitos love to hide under tables and bite your legs and ankles and feet.

7 Likes

If you get an email and a support thread I recommend uploading the letter from exterminator as soon as you can. Also re-iterate that in the support thread as they seem to get images like thumbnails.

1 Like

Yes. That’s what they asked. Said I have 72 hours to upload the letter.

Thanks to you all for your advice

BTW - do you even know if the picture she sent were of her legs or something she sourced off the internet?

Look what I just found googling “flea bites on legs” (there are hundreds of pics)

my-flea-bites-bedroom

6 Likes

Man, I never would have thought of that.

4 Likes

LOL. You’re right, there was really no way to know if the legs were really hers. I’m considering this case closed. Would be interesting to see if the leg shot with “flea bites” showed up in Google images though.

3 Likes

That shot came from a Trip Advisor review but there were plenty of others people posted claiming flea bites rec’d at hotels and other establishments. If you right click that photo and choose “search google for image” you’ll see the original post.

2 Likes

Flees come from animals. Are there any on the property? I think she is just moving to her brother

1 Like

Hope you are not going to pay her laundry. Why would she dry cleans her clothes after bites?
Also what do you have to do with her renting a hotel? After she left it became her problem,not yours

4 Likes

Bed bugs bite the top of the body, not legs. The exterminator would most likely have found eggs under furniture. I don’t believe you have any pests, I believe the guest is a scammer.

2 Likes

If you have her picture do a “reverse image search”.

5 Likes

I’m really surprised ABB said they’d turn off the reviews, they seem so ‘set in stone’!
It’s hard enough to keep up with bookings, clean the place, make sure it’s in good shape, make people happy, without this kind of thing. Fingers crossed …

2 Likes

Not saying this is your problem but I once had a guest say there were bed bugs, I checked the bed and quilt and there were some grass seeds stuck in it because I had dried it on the line over the back facing a farm and I guess it was that time of year. Check it yourself. if she is right then do something about it. If you think she is trying it out then resist.

1 Like

Lynnie, As a newer host, I didn’t even know turning off reviews was an option. As so many are suspecting, scamming is probably a bigger thing globally for ABB to deal with than I might have thought.

It’s important for us to all know that ABB can turn off reviews for certain circumstances.

Bunny’s picture looks just like my legs after I was bitten by mosquitoes. (Different nail color, though!)

I agree she’s trying to scam you.

2 Likes